Cylon Centurion from Manila

Tips, tricks, inside secrets, help, sources, items used on making the Cylon Centurion suit to wear. Tell us your story, how you came about collecting your parts to a Centurion, or if you own a complete Centurion costume.
dogtagsph
Citizen

Cylon Centurion from Manila

Post by dogtagsph » Fri May 27, 2016 12:10 pm

Hi everyone! I have been a member of the forum for several months now but I have been a fan of the Cylons for as far back as I could remember. Anyhow, I have managed to acquire the basic components for building my own Centurion but given my workload, my pace has been quite slow. I think my armor pieces have remained untrimmed for more than four months now and my latest achievement was having my helmet finally assembled:

https://www.facebook.com/mike.barrion/v ... 080696133/

By the way, is there a particular pattern for the eye holes (salt & pepper) that can be followed in this forum? Thanks much for the help in advance! :)

FLIGHTLDR SERPENTINE
Squadron Leader

Re: Cylon Centurion from Manila

Post by FLIGHTLDR SERPENTINE » Fri May 27, 2016 2:25 pm

Welcome. Don't feel too bad about slow progress. I started mine officially in the fall of 2014. I'm all trimmed and partially assembled but not sanded. The big thing is the undersuit now. I have everything else in the raw (except the battery belt!). :cylongold:

BTW, I don't think there was an official pattern used for the holes (I could be wrong). But I'd look over a handful of closeup reference photos (seen in our own archives) and get a feel for the placement of the holes.
:cylongold: "SEARCH FOR WRECKAGE... LEAVE NO SURVIVORS..."

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Fri May 27, 2016 3:44 pm

Welcome aboard the Basestar!

There were no patterns for the salt-and-pepper holes.

They were randomly drilled making every helmet looking different from the other.

What eye scanner do you have, by the way? Is it from Jupiter Electronics?

I've got mine from them too and are very pleased with it.

One more tip: You should place some milky red plastic in front of the scanner to act as diffuser for the single LED's.
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

dogtagsph
Citizen

Post by dogtagsph » Fri May 27, 2016 10:55 pm

Thanks a lot for the encouragements and inputs, Sirs. Rather than drilling random holes, I have decided to create a symmetrical hole pattern to give it a more "manufactured" look (I assume there was a cylon assembly line) . I created my own template from a speaker holes pattern that I found online which I then edited, resized and printed on sticker paper and used as my guide for drilling:

The results after drilling and removing the pattern/guide:

For anyone interested, here's the template that I used. Just resize it to 1.44 x 0.83 inches:

Thanks for viewing! :)

Silver-Cylon
Patrol Member

Post by Silver-Cylon » Sat May 28, 2016 2:59 am

Hello and welcome,
Very impressed with the template, superb job!! and if you don't mind ..... i may borrow that :cylon: , like the others have mentioned it's a matter of time to get everything right, so i am in the same boat as yourself, it's going to be a long project but a worth while one, i look forward to seeing your progress and i look forward to seeing the final finished Cylon.

Good luck my friend.

Ian ... :byyourcommand:

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sat May 28, 2016 8:22 am

That hole pattern is way good. Looks like it blends in very well, and with some many more than normal I wonder if you could see any better was my first thought. Second thought chroming might fill in the holes.

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Sun May 29, 2016 7:32 am

Looking really good!

Nice work.
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sun May 29, 2016 8:20 pm

Great work, Centurion!
Love the salt and pepper holes. Do they help with vision that much? (I never added them to mine.)
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

FLIGHTLDR SERPENTINE
Squadron Leader

Post by FLIGHTLDR SERPENTINE » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:58 pm

Very interesting decision to do it this way and I like it. It reminds me of Vulpa with smaller, better holes. :salute:
:cylongold: "SEARCH FOR WRECKAGE... LEAVE NO SURVIVORS..."

3DCreative
Spare Parts

Post by 3DCreative » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:16 pm

Nice job on the eye holes , I've seen a screen used one and they are quite random and scattered
I will
Post a photo of mine soon

dogtagsph
Citizen

Post by dogtagsph » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:02 am

Wow, it's been almost a year since I posted here. Surprisingly, I have not made any progress with the Cylon styrene kit that I was working on. This was mainly because I found out that there was no available chroming facility locally that could do non-metal materials.

What I did was to switch gears and get the Kropserkel kit instead which was already chromed. I got everything more than five months ago:

Now that am starting my build, all that I can find online to aid me in my assembly was a video at Youtube from Scott Maple, detailing the helmet build. For the other parts, I think nashlash posted a few pics of his kit complete with his lashing details but these are now invisible and are presumably being held hostage by Photobucket.

Can any of you guys point me in the right direction in building the Kropserkel kit? I don't want to make the costly mistake of inadvertently cutting up the parts wrongly.

Thanks guys! :)

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:21 am

Good to hear you are back on the suit. I hope this comes together for smoothly, and are happy with the results.

dogtagsph
Citizen

Post by dogtagsph » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:29 pm

Thanks, GoldCylon. Hopefully I could muster enough courage to finally start trimming my chromed parts soon. :)

The good news is that today I got the new Cylon boots that I had custom made locally.

Departing from the traditionally painted Cylon boots, I had the silver parts fashioned from silver-colored leather and integrated them directly into the boots. The soles were likewise painted first before being sewn to the upper boot parts. Finally, I had about 2" tall lifts fitted inside the boots so that I could instantly gain some height since I'm relatively short for a Centurion (I'm only 5'9" tall).

Am just figuring out now whether to attach the boot chrome parts permanently or just put velcro strips to make it removable. :)

Thanks for looking! :)

itookadooku
Patrol Member

Post by itookadooku » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:14 am

Those are some frakkin' good looking boots! Nice job!

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:04 am

That is a first in my boot to see custom made boots for a Cylon. Those are awesomely cool. Congrats on those great looking boots.

Return to “Centurion Builders' Forum”