Midwest Muffits

Muffit II can learn to be like a real Daggit, he's very smart... Tips and tricks and info from fellow Muffy fans on how to make a replica Muffit II.
Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Midwest Muffits

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:30 pm

Hello fellow Cylons, wayward Colonials and lowly humans,
Today is Battlestar Galactica's 38th Birthday - and I am happy to announce new daggit builds.

Yes, buildS. Both myself and bishopdonmiguel are working together to each make a "darn daggit." ;)
Our builds would not be possible without the trail blazing done by our Founder, GoldCylon - the talented Hand-Schaub, and Cylon Empire V.I.P., Red Eye. Thank you, you kind, evil Cylons :twisted:
:cylongold: :cylon: :cylon:

GoldCylon is currently offering daggit kits via https://www.facebook.com/groups/DaggitBuilding101/ - bishop and I are delighted to have such a wonderful resource!

So here we go: Muffit II and Muffit II, too!? :shock:

Above left: Muffit screen shot from the original 1978 series.
Above right: Muffit on display at Science Fiction Museum in Seattle 2010~2012.
As you can see, after 78 for G80, and beyond - Muffit has had some changes. Toss in hero, stunt, and animal show suits... Muffit is a moving target! Our build goal is to match the 1978 version as close as we can... but will be using some creative licencing here and there. Also since we'll have no chimp inside, we are planning to add sound effects, and assorted electronics to give the little guy some life.

This is going to be a long term build. Still absorbing all the goodness from our kits, scouting, researching and testing materials.
Recently we had a great build day and got the back pack parts in order and a casting done.

This is cast one, test one :) And I think it turned out beautiful. Dr. Wilker would be proud of bishopdonmiguel's handy work.

The very two top parts appear on only 1 promo pic of Muffit with Boxey - on the side of his back pack. They are too cool not to include, and since we had them on hand... We've also spotted another on-screen reference to Muffit having two trim parts on the front of his back pack. Absolutely no way to ID them, but I picked out two vintage parts to put there as well. More Muffit bling to give him a few more fun details.

Along with the back pack, I've also been obsessing about all the various face parts. I have just about everything on this little guy ID'd to that 1978 screen cap above. Just three parts evade me - for now. But my Cylon eye is always looking. I hope to ID everything in time.

Thanks for looking - and many thanks, again, to GoldCylon for the kits he sells to help builds like ours be possible - and AWESOME!
:byyourcommand:

"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

bishopdonmiguel
Phalanx Leader

Re: Midwest Muffits

Post by bishopdonmiguel » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:26 am

Let us remember the biologic inspiration of our cherished motorized mutt (drat you Cylons)...

Last edited by bishopdonmiguel on Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

bishopdonmiguel
Phalanx Leader

Post by bishopdonmiguel » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:40 am

There is a common link to everything in the contemporary knowledge base for Classic BSG, his name is GoldCylon. His memory chips contain the virtual entirety of production secrets and we bow down in respect and dedicate these builds to him. Unless they turn out looking like Ovian monsters. If that happens we hang our heads in shame and crawl away quietly.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:43 pm

I am starting the creation of a new Ovion Daggit. The Ovion Daggit will have over sized green eyes to track down large mushy treats that contain chocolate covered ants. :cylongold:

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:52 am

:evillaugh: :loveit:

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:04 am

Looks like it's time to rework the Daggit part maps soon... :wink:
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

goldcylon1
First Centurion

Post by goldcylon1 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:39 am

Looks like a awesome project

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Goldcylon@cox.net

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:16 pm

Update!

More items gathered up for our builds...
Leggs Egg for the snout / jaw.

Wostok for the eyes / ear base.

Models, models and more models!
Here is one example of the M5A1 Tank - circles on the snout are tank rims!

Last update bit for now --- I've ID'd EVERY part used on Muffit II, and so... BOOM:
...drum roll please... I've ID'd the mystery part, GoldCylon. :)
There she is... clip the wings and good to go. you can even see the remains of the clipped wing on the screen shot to the right.
SCORE
:evillaugh:

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:07 pm

Good job. Does the pull on the tear drop match the piece you have in hand?

bishopdonmiguel
Phalanx Leader

Midwest Muffits

Post by bishopdonmiguel » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:07 am

MUFFY!!!!!!

He was once a little pile 'o model play... MUFFY!!!

You should see what Muffy can do today... MUFFY!!!

He can sniff out mushies a sectar away, and rescue a fireman too...

...if you've got a heart then Muffy's a part of you.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:49 am

The song...cough cough....needs more beer. :IL: :cylon: :cylongold: :salute: :bsglol:

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:01 am

Back to the what I call a fuel tank, while the piece you found looks more like a bomb I think is not the correct piece even trimmed. The bomb piece is shorter and wider, while the fuel tank is longer, and narrower.

I did see while just as I was getting ready to run out the door a few months ago by dumb chance since I wasn't searching for the piece a WW2 smaller fighter plane than had the fuel tank tucked under the wing.
Muffy leg tank.jpg

bishopdonmiguel
Phalanx Leader

Midwest Muffits

Post by bishopdonmiguel » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:39 am

Every song is better with more beer! But I think converting the Gumby lyrics would have gone better with less beer. *hiccup*

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:48 pm

Yep, the part I found looks like a bomb... because it is THE BOMB.
The Atomic Bomb, a.k.a. "Fat Boy." It is from a kit that lends many parts to the Battlestar Galactica.

The only other aircraft based part I can find that resembles the pull you have, vintage kit used on the Galactica, is from a Mustang.
(I've also looked at non-aircraft kits.)
But these are way too narrow. Also they have details not in any screen shot or your pull.
That said, they could have been slightly modified.

I think the original Fat Boy halves from the model seen on screen shots of the 1978 hero suit were themselves used as molds (little dishes) to cast a second generation set of themselves for stunt, G80 and animal show suits. They'd be slightly smaller as such and perhaps have some shrinking as well to make them a tiny bit smaller yet. But still wider than the Mustang parts. And the inside of the Fat Boy might be totally smooth, we'll know shortly after the kit arrives in the Midwest ;)

I think your pulls come from the screen used G80 daggit. Rooted in either a 1978 Muffit repair/replacement or one of the stunt suits that differed slightly with the above theory.

This is interesting - and not seen in 1978 screen shots. Muffit has some paint problems.
(And this sort of supports my cast parts theory - white resin. I doubt military or domestic airplane kits would be cast in white plastic... unless it was the Concorde or something).
G80 - shoulder bits have big paint chips - white circle in center (left daggit)
http://www.byyourcommand.net/cylongalle ... play_media
GoldCylon - the one you restored has dead on matching chips. *high-five* Screen used sweetness!!!!

Animal Show
Same paint chip, smaller, but still see white.

Display in Seattle
Same odd paint chip matches the smaller Animal Show chip.

------

Now, on to Muffit's "cute wittle face!"
Here are some side-by-side notes of how this little guy has several screen used looks!
He's like Zoolander ;) lol MUFFY MAGNUM
"One look?! One look?! I don't think so!!!" :roll: end quote
CLICK IMAGE FOR LARGER VIEW!!!!

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:27 pm

The piece going across the arch of the nose section is a model kit sprue. I am not sure what kit, but I just grab a extra piece from some random kit, and gave it a arrow bit, and then glued it down.

As for the side round disks I used the wheels from the Leopold. That was part of the parts I sent you.

Nice work on those catches. Now spend 8-10 hours a day for 3+ weeks like I did on research to get the job to restore the original Daggit. Man that was crazy times doing that. So far the dome eyes are something I didn't notice. Keep up the great research work. :cylongold:

Return to “Daggit Builders' Forum”