Remotely speaking Muffy 2 is alive.........

Muffit II can learn to be like a real Daggit, he's very smart... Tips and tricks and info from fellow Muffy fans on how to make a replica Muffit II.
GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:05 am

I had one last chance to see Muffy yesterday, and that was to install the receiver to connect to the servo's. The radio was tested a few weeks ago, so all I had to do was basically plug it in, and I did till I got to the one replacement servo. Although it is the same make, and model this replacement servo had the wrong type of jack. I knew that from about 1 month ago, but forgot to act of getting a cross over jumper, and then a quick search online found nothing also. Lack of time to remove, and replace it with a newly found vintage servo I just moved on. Nice surprise was powered everything up, and moved that joy stick on the controller, and yeah he had movement in the ear, and then the lower jaw. What a exciting moment it was. I took this short video about 1 minute later.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Re: Remotely speaking Muffy 2 is alive.........

Post by Cylon-Knight » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:15 am

TOO COOL!
Zombie Daggit head, gotta love it. :wink:

Geat work GoldCylon, thanks for sharing the vid.
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Hand-Schaub
First Centurion

Post by Hand-Schaub » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:45 pm

I'm sorry I missed the momment but how cool that must have been. Really great work adding that final touch to Muffit's life. Hopefully he recovers from the stroke and can move his other ear. (sorry - bad taste joke)

Skullbeast
Outpost Commander

Post by Skullbeast » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:06 pm

Looks great! I would swap the servo inputs so your jaw is the up down. More natural from a puppeteers perspective. You may need a reverser for the other ear to mirror and slave on the same line or do you plan to dedicate another input for the other ear?

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:14 pm

I am doing nothing. It is done over and gone. It is now in Anaheim for the Aug 27th auction. Only if the auction house, or the new owner switch out the servo I put in a box of items that go to the Daggit will it get exchanged out. The owner was always right down to the wire type of person leaving no time for extra anything. Brian, and myself did what we could and we improved it 75% in value compared to original condition.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:15 pm

I wonder how much it will bring at auction?!? Red Eye - keep your eye open ;) :cylon:

Skullbeast
Outpost Commander

Post by Skullbeast » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:19 pm

Well, great job! Dagit rescue league?

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:23 pm

I am sure it will bring in over 25K since I have been marketing it to big spenders, and one claimed he was the runner up on the Daggit that now sits in Seattle. All that is needed to two guys with cash to spend, and it go to the 25K plus maybe on up to 35K if lucky, but the strange things about auctions you can b=never tell till it is all done and over with.

Big Al
Command Centurion

Post by Big Al » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:19 pm

:cylongold: Servo Conectors

:cylon: I know I'm late with this info but you said you did a quick search and couldn't find anything and this is a subject I am all to familar with. So maybe this will help for future instalations or anyone else who wants to tackle a project involving R/C and servos.

All sevos will work with any system if the wires line up correctly!

For years the Radio companies had no other way of prioritizing their servos to their equipment other than a distinctive plug for each manufacturer.

For the hobby guy's, this is a pain in the @$$!....unless you know their dirty little secret! :nah:

All sevos, no mater how old, have 3 wires, Positive, Negative, and a signal wire.

Sometimes it's just as easy as removing the wires from the connector block then re-aranging them to the correct configuration for that particular manufacturer.

Conversion jumper leads work fine! with one draw back in that it makes more connection nodes for something to go wrong. :erk:

This is a big concern for model aircraft but not so much for robot dog's :salute:

With that said, Here are the different servo plug types

:cylon: 1970's Futaba "G" type Connector

[attachment=7]Futaba G 1.jpg[/attachment]

:cylon: This is a Futaba adapter from Old "G" type to new "J" type

[attachment=6]Futaba G adapter.jpg[/attachment]

:cylon: Futaba servos come with the
Attachments
Futaba Micro.jpg
Futaba Micro.jpg (5.25 KiB) Viewed 6149 times
Futaba Micro.jpg
Futaba Micro.jpg (5.25 KiB) Viewed 6149 times
Air-T_connector.jpg
Air-T_connector.jpg (12 KiB) Viewed 6149 times
Air-T_connector.jpg
Air-T_connector.jpg (12 KiB) Viewed 6149 times
Air-Z_connector.jpg
Air-Z_connector.jpg (12.28 KiB) Viewed 6149 times
Air-Z_connector.jpg
Air-Z_connector.jpg (12.28 KiB) Viewed 6149 times
JR_connector_2.jpg
JR_connector_2.jpg (8.85 KiB) Viewed 6149 times
JR_connector_2.jpg
JR_connector_2.jpg (8.85 KiB) Viewed 6149 times
Hitec_Connector_Schematic.jpg
Hitec_Connector_Schematic.jpg (8.71 KiB) Viewed 6149 times
Hitec_Connector_Schematic.jpg
Hitec_Connector_Schematic.jpg (8.71 KiB) Viewed 6149 times
J_connector Futaba_2.jpg
J_connector Futaba_2.jpg (8.55 KiB) Viewed 6149 times
J_connector Futaba_2.jpg
J_connector Futaba_2.jpg (8.55 KiB) Viewed 6149 times
Futaba G adapter.jpg
Futaba G 1.jpg
Futaba G 1.jpg (26.13 KiB) Viewed 6149 times
Futaba G 1.jpg
Futaba G 1.jpg (26.13 KiB) Viewed 6149 times
By Your Command

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:53 pm

Oh I knew I needed to get a jumper, but out of sight out of mind, and I was never given one extra hour more than needed to complete any details before the owner ran off with it. I didn't have the radio till about 3 weeks, and again he wait till about 12 hours before leaving town with the Daggit before coming back so it could be installed. I have used remotes a little bit back in the 80's, and it was no big deal to figure it out, but when I forgot I needed the jumper because the 4 extra servo's that are here all plugged in, and work. The problem is that a servo that replaced the vintage for the missing one came in 1st when the Daggit was here, and no time was given to cut out and replace with the correct version. Then I thought about cutting the wire, and replacing the connector, but I couldn't find my detail tools to do the job, solider, or electrical tape, and like mentioned before he shows up with a linted time to work in, and leaves no room for error. His game, his fault, his bottom line sold price if repaired before sold, or not repaired.

Big Al
Command Centurion

Post by Big Al » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:46 pm

GoldCylon wrote:Oh I knew I needed to get a jumper, but out of sight out of mind, and I was never given one extra hour more than needed to complete any details before the owner ran off with it. I didn't have the radio till about 3 weeks, and again he wait till about 12 hours before leaving town with the Daggit before coming back so it could be installed. I have used remotes a little bit back in the 80's, and it was no big deal to figure it out, but when I forgot I needed the jumper because the 4 extra servo's that are here all plugged in, and work. The problem is that a servo that replaced the vintage for the missing one came in 1st when the Daggit was here, and no time was given to cut out and replace with the correct version. Then I thought about cutting the wire, and replacing the connector, but I couldn't find my detail tools to do the job, solider, or electrical tape, and like mentioned before he shows up with a linted time to work in, and leaves no room for error. His game, his fault, his bottom line sold price if repaired before sold, or not repaired.

Good stuff......Just thought I'd slap that up there in case anyone wanted to know...When I worked in the hobby shop, this subject seemed to be a mystery to most people I delt with so I have been over this many times and like I said the useing of jumpers in an aircraft can cause havock but not so much in a robot.

I know your a sharp guy! I have seen some of your work and I would like to talk with you some time in person and see some of your stuff up close :salute: Please don't think I was assumeing you didn't know I was just throwing it out there in case anyone else here has to deal with remotes and servos. I guess it's because I own Hundreds (Yes I said Hundreds!) of servos of all types and you have to know that stuff.

Bad Ju Ju on the owner and the time line, you would think for the amount of money he's getting , he would want to make sure everything went without a hitch instead of laying it all on you......Just my 2 cents.
By Your Command

Galactifan
Flight Leader

Post by Galactifan » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:07 am

Nice job on the daggit restoration! So, how much did it sell at auction for?

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:34 am

Muffy sold for $20,000 to someone overseas
Image :cylongold: :cylongold: :cylongold:

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:32 am

Awesome. Muffit: INTERNATIONAL SUPERSTAR!

Big Al
Command Centurion

Post by Big Al » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:24 am

How did Goldie fair?......I Heard there was trouble with the auction?
By Your Command

Return to “Daggit Builders' Forum”