Daggit Fur

Muffit II can learn to be like a real Daggit, he's very smart... Tips and tricks and info from fellow Muffy fans on how to make a replica Muffit II.
GoldCylon
Founder

Daggit Fur

Post by GoldCylon » Wed May 25, 2011 12:14 pm

OK over the past few days I have been playing with different fur types. I found that a white camel faux that I dyed with Rit tan came out pretty darn nice. One thing I have noticed that the HERO Daggit at the Sci Fi Museum in Seattle and most of the screen shots, and promo there were different types of fur used. I think what most of us are used to is the most common screen used version from the original. The hair I hate to say is a bit more nappy over the puffy look. A while back Lt. Rhea pointed this out, and I really didn't give her the credit as I should have, but she pointed out the Galactica 1980 Daggit was different, well I don't agree with that it was different except maybe they replaced the fur is all. Peeling off the fur and gluing new fur down is a quick job that can be done in a matter of hours, while building a new Daggit would take a few days. I have also searched online for fabric a while, and I have searched long before I began this quest of building Muffet. One thing for sure that viewing online doesn't always pan out as well as seeing it in person. The lighting, the touch, the texture always play in as a factor. So I have been on a local hunt with little luck till I found narrow rolls of fabric. This is a plus, and minus. First the minus. The cost. It is extremely costly buying the rolls in this form, and just a guess I would need about 20 rolls to complete a Daggit if not more, and at $5 per roll that $100 for the fur then you need to dye it, but if you want it to be as accurate as possible you might need to go this route. I also like a 2nd sample I bought, and used as a test piece in the ear I made. The look is much closer to the non HERO Daggit, but lacks the correct color. I am now as I type this up dying that in the Rit Tan Dye to see how that comes out.
Below on some photos to compare.
Attachments
Fur Dagget sample 01.jpg
Same photo as below with a sample piece blown up of the screen used fur. The details are greater because this is a much larger image inserted into a smaller scan. The color is more more realistic in person. The camera issue again.
Fur Dagget sample.jpg
Note the picture below is the exact same fur, just the camera brighten it up.
Rit tan dye sample.JPG
This is white fur after dyed in Rit Tan, and the photo makes it look a tad orange. It isn't orange at all, but a photo before this is a scan of the correct color I see.
White Daggit fur.jpg
This is white fur that was used in the study ear model. I am dying this it Rit Tan dye

Lt Rhea
Phalanx Leader

Re: Daggit Fur

Post by Lt Rhea » Wed May 25, 2011 7:13 pm

If you're going to dye white shag fur, you might want to consider something like this: http://www.hartsfabric.com/white-shag-f ... 05274.html

Or you could add to this: http://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail.asp ... fcd4cf7fa4

I've heard the fur described as "orangutan orange", so you'll want a tinge of orange in the tan.
~Lt. Rhea of the Blackstar Squadron

http://costumesandartwork.blogspot.com/

GoldCylon
Founder

Re: Daggit Fur

Post by GoldCylon » Wed May 25, 2011 7:50 pm

The first photo is has an insert of the color of the Daggit, and it is a bit brighter in the photo in real life just like what happened to me in the photo seen with the material laid out on the green worked board. The caramel color isn't the correct color. Anyway I dyed the other pieces, and neither one of them came out like the 1st piece as shown in scan #2 inserted photo.

Return to “Daggit Builders' Forum”