Daggit ears

Muffit II can learn to be like a real Daggit, he's very smart... Tips and tricks and info from fellow Muffy fans on how to make a replica Muffit II.
GoldCylon
Founder

Daggit ears

Post by GoldCylon » Mon May 23, 2011 7:41 pm

OK I have been working on making multiple ears for the Daggit to try to figure out what would be the correct scale. After taking the 4 ears that were made to the Daggit a choice was made. Also studying photos of Muffet, and what was available to look at it looked like the ear base was raised a bit. So I thinking about what I saw inside the Daggits ear, and tried to work with that. It was only when I was took notice of measure tape that I bought at Michaels Art and Crafts the tape case. It was round, and perfect height in what I was looking for, and also smaller than the hole opening. So I went back looking for same sized cases in a multiple pack. I found a package of 6 (perfect) .... haha till I saw the price. $14.99 for 6 plastic round cases. OUCH!!! So I went back over to the measuring tape, and bingo. They were only 99 cent with the tape. So now I have extra tapes, and now I have the perfect mount, and the riser. The plastic round case pulls about, and I'll drill a hole to mount to the servo, and build the ear, and Velcro it to the top of the plastic round that will now just slip onto the other half mounted to the servo. This also makes it easy to access if needed for repair, and trade out ears if would want to change of styles or what ever.
Attachments
Daggit ear lifters.jpg
Robotic ear mount.jpg

Lt Rhea
Phalanx Leader

Re: Daggit ears

Post by Lt Rhea » Mon May 23, 2011 10:59 pm

lol, that's great when you can find the perfect something in every day life! :)
~Lt. Rhea of the Blackstar Squadron

http://costumesandartwork.blogspot.com/

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Mon May 23, 2011 11:02 pm

I forgot to mention that the fur will be glue to the case.

Lt Rhea
Phalanx Leader

Post by Lt Rhea » Tue May 24, 2011 1:01 pm

So, is the wostok part even visible?

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Tue May 24, 2011 1:14 pm

Around the ear section not very much if at all, but they are still used.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Tue May 24, 2011 10:13 pm

OK I had to furry up and finish this today. Came out OK, and this isn't this finished ready to use product, but something to study to see what works, and want doesn't. First off I need to cut the back side of the fur fabric with a edge blade. If you can see at the top arch of the ear the fur was cut with scissors, a it shows. The edges of the side of the fur need to be tacked down a bit more to hide the seam.
Attachments
Daggit Ear Fur 017.JPG
Daggit Ear Fur 013.JPG

Lt Rhea
Phalanx Leader

Post by Lt Rhea » Tue May 24, 2011 10:57 pm

You can use scissors to cut faux fur, but you need to part the pile before you do. It's not super easy or fast, but possibly safer than using a blade.

Edit: Another thing to watch for is how the nap of the fur lays on the original and to match it with our reproductions.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Tue May 24, 2011 11:10 pm

Yes I noticed that after I glued the piece on the round section. I should have made the cut across the fabric the other direction. This is a learning piece and so far I have learned a few things. Right now I have a piece of fabric I am dying to see how the color comes out. I like the material texture, but so far not the right color so I bought white fur, and coco tan dye.

Hand-Schaub
First Centurion

Post by Hand-Schaub » Tue May 24, 2011 11:44 pm

I assume this is the 'too large' ear you are practicing on? It looks very 'erect' . The introduction of the fur is looking good - especially around the base as I'm sure is the main focus of this experiment.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Wed May 25, 2011 12:18 am

This is a newer version, and I turned the heat down a bit on forming the shape, and it bounced back not keeping the formed I shaped it into. I see some of the errors I made, and what I need to do to correct the mistake. I think I have it down a much better way than the previous versions.
Attachments
Daggit Ear Fur 015.JPG

Hand-Schaub
First Centurion

Post by Hand-Schaub » Wed May 25, 2011 1:29 am

Okay - It's looking waaay too geometric - lets get more organic with it. Perhaps a thinner plastic will help hold the shape or perhaps a thin metal under structure. Create the fur and silver fabric ear prior to adding the wire finish to it. Oh and with all do respect... the wire mesh h facet ring has to go - a slight domed mesh under the fur is all it takes.
GoldCylon wrote:This is a newer version, and I turned the heat down a bit on forming the shape, and it bounced back not keeping the formed I shaped it into. I see some of the errors I made, and what I need to do to correct the mistake. I think I have it down a much better way than the previous versions.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Wed May 25, 2011 9:52 am

I agree that the wire mess popped out way to much. I also did thicken up the silver fabric a bit, and that gave the ear more thickness than planned. I didn't use the correct fabric on purpose because this is a study model, and it is full of errors that need to be worked on.

Return to “Daggit Builders' Forum”