Silver fabric matching

Muffit II can learn to be like a real Daggit, he's very smart... Tips and tricks and info from fellow Muffy fans on how to make a replica Muffit II.
GoldCylon
Founder

Silver fabric matching

Post by GoldCylon » Sun May 08, 2011 9:53 pm

I have a screen used costume from "Greeting From Earth" that used the same fabric in the silver astronauts suits as the Muffit 2 the Daggit used. With that I was able to search out the fabric I need for restoration on the screen used Daggit, and for those looking to build their own Daggit. First off back up a bit. A few days ago I saw a strange package. This package was wrapped in what I saw as car window shade fan. You know those things that came out back in the 80's that you place on your dash board to reflect the heat off the dash. Well I thought that would be a great cheap way to have the silver fabric you need on your build, and also it is think, so no reason to back it like you would the silver fabric material on the Daggit. I also stopped of at Hancock fabric and found some pretty darn good looking silver fabric. I had seen a few other sample pieces in recent time, and was not impressed at all on matching. So I bought 2 yards of it at 3.99 per yard. Reflection back I bet if I bought 3 yards I would have more than enough to build a complete Daggit costume with some to spare. OK so now I stopped off at Wal Mart looking in the automotive section to find the window reflector. I am not impressed, but bought it anyway. I pull out the David Larson costume (yes Glen's son) that he wore in Greetings, and the fabric I bought. I looked at it with a quick glance, and thought I blew it this is all wrong, but then began to study it. This fabric is new.....Brand new, and then thought out the suit. It is over 32 years old, and started to notice the material is a match. The new stuff is just shiny. I took a photo and then noticed that they really do match even more behind the camera looking at the finished photo. So looks like maybe I need to go back to Hancock and find this material again by name, and see if this can be the source name fabric used. You can always go the cheaper route and use the window auto shade, and it does have the backing to it already, so a kill two birds with one stone approach.
Attachments
Daggit fabric sample.JPG
Greeting from Earth, auto shade, and 2 yards fabric.

GoldCylon
Founder

Re: Silver fabric matching

Post by GoldCylon » Wed May 11, 2011 2:46 pm

I found my receipt from Hancock Fabrics. I bought item number 726521 at $3.49 per yard. The name is "Tissue Lame Silver".

Lt Rhea
Phalanx Leader

Post by Lt Rhea » Thu May 12, 2011 9:52 am

Is the tissue lame sort of thin? It might need to be doubled if it's too thin. But, I think that tissue lame is a commonly used fabric in BSG, so it's probably a pretty good choice.

In this blog post: http://muffitbuild.blogspot.com/2009/02 ... where.html I posted the fabric I had picked up for my daggit.
~Lt. Rhea of the Blackstar Squadron

http://costumesandartwork.blogspot.com/

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Thu May 12, 2011 11:19 am

I glued stiffing fabric to the silver fabric, and it is much thicker than any off the shelf fabric you could buy. This also best match fabric I have seen so far. It is new so it is shiny compare to the original material decades older, but it matches, and a match in color is better than something that doesn't match that is what is thicker. Believe me I don't know a thing about costume building and I might be going about this the wrong way, but I like my outside the box thinking and my results. I am extremely pleased with the results of the finished item. For me it came out much better than excepted.
Attachments
Daggit waste wire 7.JPG

Lt Rhea
Phalanx Leader

Post by Lt Rhea » Mon May 16, 2011 9:23 am

Did you put some sort of fray check on the cut edges of the fabric? How are you keeping it from unraveling?

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Mon May 16, 2011 10:41 am

Lt Rhea wrote:Did you put some sort of fray check on the cut edges of the fabric? How are you keeping it from unraveling?
Well being a 100% rookie no I didn't, and I just spotted last night the first thread to break away. I didn't even think then about more of them breaking away. Can I use this method you speak of as is, or do I need do something else like run a bead of glue on the edges.

Lt Rhea
Phalanx Leader

Post by Lt Rhea » Mon May 16, 2011 9:12 pm

You should be able to purchase fray check from a fabric store or online. It is a liquid that you sort of paint on. If you get it right, it works to keep the fabric from fraying. If you get some, test it on a scrap to see if it is noticeable first.

Edit for link: http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/prod ... ID=prd2992

Hand-Schaub
First Centurion

Post by Hand-Schaub » Tue May 17, 2011 12:42 am

Just a few thoughts about fabric fray - if you glue it to the stiffening cloth then there shouldn't be too big of a problem - not to mention that when glued to the foam a bit f extra glue may find its way to the edges of the fabric doing the same job as anti fray glue would.

Lt Rhea
Phalanx Leader

Post by Lt Rhea » Tue May 17, 2011 4:12 pm

Personally, I think I'd still want to do the fray check, just to make doubly sure. I'd hate to put so much work into the daggit only to have it ravel. :sad:

Return to “Daggit Builders' Forum”