My first model kit arrived

Muffit II can learn to be like a real Daggit, he's very smart... Tips and tricks and info from fellow Muffy fans on how to make a replica Muffit II.
GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:02 pm

OK it took about 2 weeks to arrive because it came from England. I bought a NU-BEE Vostock 1 1/25 scale. This is new in wrapped box. The over all condition of the box was good for age (vintage 1990). Opening the box was a bit of a different story. Parts chipped, and not really a big deal, and broken away from the molding tree branches. Over all I am pleased with the purchase price, and shipping of $51.30 from the overseas.
Now the downside, and the learning curve. This is a 1/25 scale, and I am pretty sure after inspecting the size of the parts I need the 1/26 scale. These parts that will be used for the eyes (and Cylon fuel tanker) and appear to be large.
Now the upside. Since these parts are over sized the good thing is that making replica eyes and what is known as shrinkage in the mold these might be the perfect size to have a base for replica parts.
Attachments
Vostock Daggit Wostock.jpg
Nu Bee Vostock parts 1.jpg
Nu Bee Vostock parts 2.jpg
Nu Bee Vostock parts 3.jpg
Nu Bee Vostock parts 4.jpg

Hand-Schaub
First Centurion

Re: My first model kit arrived

Post by Hand-Schaub » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:14 pm

Glad it arrived safely. I got some of that magical blue gooey stuff for making more of 'em too. Let's give it a try and test the shrinkage theory.

Skullbeast
Outpost Commander

Post by Skullbeast » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:19 pm

If you make a master from 1630 resin it won't shrink!

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:39 pm

Skullbeast wrote:If you make a master from 1630 resin it won't shrink!
Well since it is a 1/26th scale, and I need 1/25th scale I need the shrinkage to have the correct size. I could be wrong in the size, and I need to double check. I might be able to refer back to some photos I took and see from that if I am correct or I will have to double check when the Daggit arrives if I can't verify.

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:45 pm

GoldCylon wrote:
Skullbeast wrote:If you make a master from 1630 resin it won't shrink!
Well since it is a 1/26th scale, and I need 1/25th scale I need the shrinkage to have the correct size. I could be wrong in the size, and I need to double check. I might be able to refer back to some photos I took and see from that if I am correct or I will have to double check when the Daggit arrives if I can't verify.
So you're the new owner of the Daggit?

Or is it "just" on loan?
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:51 pm

I am a stop off point to be fixed up a bit before it travels down to So Cal to be auctioned off. Brian will be doing most of the repair work on the Daggit.

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:55 pm

Ah, so you're going to restore it! Nice!

Good luck with it and don't forget to take a few photos of it. :wink:
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:02 pm

WHAT IS THIS!?
...a bunch of daggit lovin Cylons?!
:frak:

LOL - just kidding. Great work everyone! MORE BSG INFO FOR THE WORLD! I love it.
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:20 pm

OK I in a attempt to get the correct form of the inside of the head (skull) uhh..not our new friend skullbeast..LoL I have been studying some of the photos that are in the gallery. Taking note of this image
daggit-09.jpg
that the eye sockets are flush as if I laid them upside down they would be how they on the skull. Now with that in mind I took the two pieces I had and laid them up the same way to try to free hand draw a outline of how the skull would be like. Well since I can't hold them still with 2 hands, and then draw at the same time I decided to just tack them together. Below is them laid out flat with out glue, and them with glue. Once dry I'll them them out and then draw what I think the skull will be like.
Attachments
Battlestar Daggit eyes a.jpg
Battlestar Daggit eye glued a.jpg

Lt Rhea
Phalanx Leader

Post by Lt Rhea » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:24 pm

Will you still be able to make a mold off of them if they're glued together? I was under the impression the pic of the skull you're using there is a prototype...?

I'm excited about progress being made! This is awesome! :loveit:
~Lt. Rhea of the Blackstar Squadron

http://costumesandartwork.blogspot.com/

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:52 pm

I just tacked them together not a perment glue. I want to be able to use them to out line the form of the skull. I have nothing but what I recall seeing. A photo doesn't work to show a degree.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:13 pm

Also I am under that so called gag order about talking about what I saw or took photos of. I am using photos that are older and have been posted for years as the source of what I am working on. I will say that what I have in hand, seen in person, photo if the Profiles Daggit, and vintage build photos I am taking note of different things. Hero non hero or copies? Not sure but I do see differences.
Image :cylongold: :cylongold: :cylongold:

Swhite228
Centurion

Post by Swhite228 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:12 pm

GoldCylon wrote:OK it took about 2 weeks to arrive because it came from England. I bought a NU-BEE Vostock 1 1/25 scale. This is new in wrapped box. The over all condition of the box was good for age (vintage 1990). Opening the box was a bit of a different story. Parts chipped, and not really a big deal, and broken away from the molding tree branches. Over all I am pleased with the purchase price, and shipping of $51.30 from the overseas.
Now the downside, and the learning curve. This is a 1/25 scale, and I am pretty sure after inspecting the size of the parts I need the 1/26 scale. These parts that will be used for the eyes (and Cylon fuel tanker) and appear to be large.
Now the upside. Since these parts are over sized the good thing is that making replica eyes and what is known as shrinkage in the mold these might be the perfect size to have a base for replica parts.
The NuBee kit and the WEB, Plasticart, Raumschiff-Modellbaukasten kits, are all the same scale from the same molds so the parts are interchangable, and 1/26 vs 1/25 scale wostok kits isn't an issue . The kit you have is the newest release of this old kit. There is also a release of just the capsule and diamond shapped lower stage without the parts used on the tanker model.

As you have seen the plastic used is brittle and the parts break off the sprue.
This is the same for all of these kits and working with them is like working on an old Aurora pure styren kit from the 60's.

The parts used on the dagit, Galactica, Cylon Tanker and a few other ships are from the kit you have. The eye parts have been cut down for use.

Scale wise the next closest kit of this subject is the Revell kit which is 1/24 scale and has a parts layout that is very different from the kit you have..

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:44 pm

The Nu-Bee kit I have has instruction from Raumschiff-Modellbaukasten.
Did Nu-Bee buy out Raumschiff?
One thing I have noticed that looking at the eyes in the vintage photos from behind the scenes, promo images, and screen caps I see differences. I must be looking at different Daggits builds. The general pattern idea was laid out and maybe a different builder on each of the four Daggits, or the single builder just changed things up a bit. Near the hole in the eye I have noticed the surface rounded, and some flat. Some with, and some with out details more like Hero, non Hero like details.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:06 pm

OK I found by just dumb luck. I bought a few weeks ago a SmartyKat Catnip ball. When I opened up the package after I got home I took note the packaging was two half sphere. So I kept them, and today I tried them out. They are thin, and crush easy, but in most cases I think the Daggit will be a display piece so that doesn't matter much. It needed a little trim, and after that they popped right into the socket. You will need to buy two since the back side has a fresh pack formed into the back side. I think I paid less than $3.00 for the catnip, so $6.00 and your set.
Attachments
Daggit skull form eyes.jpg
Daggit eyes SmartyKat catnip.jpg
Daggit eyes SmartyKat catnip.jpg (28.06 KiB) Viewed 3372 times
Daggit eyes SmartyKat catnip.jpg
Daggit eyes SmartyKat catnip.jpg (28.06 KiB) Viewed 3372 times

Return to “Daggit Builders' Forum”