Observations

Muffit II can learn to be like a real Daggit, he's very smart... Tips and tricks and info from fellow Muffy fans on how to make a replica Muffit II.
Lt Rhea
Phalanx Leader

Observations

Post by Lt Rhea » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:53 pm

I thought I'd post up some observations I've made on daggits and we can collect all our thoughts in one topic. I'd love to hear what other people have seen, especially if you've been lucky enough to see a daggit costume in person.

The undersuit that the chimps wore looks to have ribs, possibly sewn into it, at the arms and legs and I believe the midsection/waist.

There appears to be some sort of silver "flap" on each furry section above the knees.

The toes seem to be grey plastic over silver fabric.

~Lt. Rhea of the Blackstar Squadron

http://costumesandartwork.blogspot.com/

Lt Rhea
Phalanx Leader

Re: Observations

Post by Lt Rhea » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:56 pm

As per the topic on the RPF, the eye bezels for daggits are from the Wostok/Vostok 1/25th Eastern European kit. Also, the diameter of the eye dome is 2.017

I know we can all go over the RPF to read the post, but it's quite a few years old now and I'd like to collect all the info in one spot so its easier for prospective daggit builders to find all they need to know in one place. :)

GoldCylon
Founder

Observations

Post by GoldCylon » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:47 pm

I am with on the excitement on this topic and have worked quietly in my corner on some of the details. I'll be glad to share when and if I can but don't take it personal if I don't dive in and give up information at this time.
Image :cylongold: :cylongold: :cylongold:

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:59 pm

And here you are Daggit Builders - DAGGIT EYES :byyourcommand:
Looks like it is parts 10 and 11 of the Wostok-1.
(9 has a little bump on it that I don't think Muffit had - and 12 has no opening. Defiantly not them.)
Attachments
DaggitEyes1.jpg
Wostok-1
DaggitEyes2.jpg
Wostok-1 partial kit parts. Showing the parts used for Daggit eyes.
DaggitEyes3.jpg
The parts themselves.
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Hand-Schaub
First Centurion

Post by Hand-Schaub » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:31 am

awesome - great picture an info here! Man - I'm starting to get the urge to build one...

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:33 pm

I saw two kits for sale today. One was a 1/25th scale, and the other 1/26th scale. Both run about $100 shipped, and two kits are needed unless on like part 12 on the inserted photo above you are able to cut out the hole needed. These are more than just the eyes, but the ears also.

Lt Rhea
Phalanx Leader

Post by Lt Rhea » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:21 pm

Oooh, thank you thank you thank you for posting the pictures of the kit parts. That's awesome. I doubt I'll ever be able to justify $100/$200 for a real kit. I hope someone makes a mold and does resin ones or something. I'd just like to borrow one to make something of my own from scratch.

LOVE the pictures, thanks for sharing! :grin:

Lt Rhea
Phalanx Leader

Post by Lt Rhea » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:26 pm

GoldCylon wrote:I am with on the excitement on this topic and have worked quietly in my corner on some of the details. I'll be glad to share when and if I can but don't take it personal if I don't dive in and give up information at this time.
Don't sweat it, GoldCylon. Obviously, we'd all LOVE to know what you know, but if you can't you can't. I remember on the R2_D2 Builders Group the guy who worked for LFL with R2-D2 said "Theoretically, if I was going to build an R2-D2, I'd paint it with (fill in details)...theoretically, of course" ;) This way he could share information without truly saying so. Honestly though, it doesn't hurt anyone to share information. It just makes better daggits. :) I don't understand the gag orders.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:16 pm

Lt Rhea wrote: I don't understand the gag orders.
It isn't a gag order it is a non dis-closer agreement, and I dealing with someone that was signing those a part of life for over 36 years of his life in the entertainment industry. It a standard paper people sign while working on a project, and all though this isn't a production it is a default of his way of life. Just like you get up more than likely in the morning putting your feet on the ground your entire life and then told to stand on you knees it wouldn't be easy to break that habit. While if George Lucas had the R2 Builder sign the same non dis-closer the builders club would be full of wild guess on exact sizes, and so forth. The Daggit and R2 have been around over 33 years each they will still be around a few more with more details to come as time goes by.

Lt Rhea
Phalanx Leader

Post by Lt Rhea » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:12 pm

Sorry, I guess I chose the wrong wording. To me a "non-disclosure" is the same as "gag-order" meaning you can't share what you know. I understand if the production is continuing but no one has made a daggit for filming in yahrens...it's just frustrating, that's all. Sorry :blush:

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:17 pm

Frustrating is the word. I don't get what use is it to "keep" info or pics of classic stuff hidden (on the low low and such)?
Doing so will not lead to reproductions that drum up popularity and interest/demand for real originals. No amount of reproductions can "un-screen use" the real deal, only increase demand due to popularity. Sharing originals, in my opinion, will drive up their value.

GoldCylon
Founder

Observations

Post by GoldCylon » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:31 am

My thoughts on this is to keep it a mystery till after it is sold to keep the price as high as possible for the sellers pocket book. If you can have the details to build a replica prop unless you have the money to spare you will do that and loose the possible chance of selling it for more. Bottom line make it rare and make it worth more. With only 2 known left it is worth a lot but add 2 for a total of 4 now it is worth even less. Why do you think the Daggit in Seattle sold for so much. Now think if there are 1:1 replicas running around even less value and when it comes to the sellers pocket book over someone they don't know you and everyone else that wants the details will be on the short end of the stick.
Image :cylongold: :cylongold: :cylongold:

Cy
Raider Commander

Post by Cy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:53 pm

This is a topic is something I have spent alot of time thinking about. In this case, I can see why the owner of the daggit would be stingy about to much info slipping out. The pictures they took to put on ebay no doubt are positioned and photographed to look their very best with a what you see is what you get, you bought it, you got it. So the seller wants as much cash as they can possibly get, and doesnt want someone showing in better detail a photo that shows missing fur, broken pieces, missing parts, tears or anything that might bring the price down. I would imagine the agreement with dale is once a confirmed sale has happened, the data wont be a "secret" anymore. But that said. nothing irritates me more than a person that grabs a camera and takes a picture of a common taxi cab and then posts it online making sure the picture is ruined with a watermark or my personal favorite, their name with a copyright plastered across it like it was a picaso or something. I for one love to photograph trains. If I find something rare i love to take a picture and post a undamaged view for all the world to enjoy and see the image that i thought was special enough to capture. I guess the quest or the all mighty penny or name recognition isnt that important to me. I would much rather record history than be part of it.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:01 pm

GoldCylon wrote:My thoughts on this is to keep it a mystery till after it is sold to keep the price as high as possible for the sellers pocket book. If you can have the details to build a replica prop unless you have the money to spare you will do that and loose the possible chance of selling it for more. Bottom line make it rare and make it worth more. With only 2 known left it is worth a lot but add 2 for a total of 4 now it is worth even less. Why do you think the Daggit in Seattle sold for so much. Now think if there are 1:1 replicas running around even less value and when it comes to the sellers pocket book over someone they don't know you and everyone else that wants the details will be on the short end of the stick.
I get your view point, and know many others share it... but I'm staying on the other side of the electric fence --- peeing on it! :twisted:
If a 1:1 replica is made there are still only 2 screen used daggits. They can't be un-screen used, ever.
No amount of replicas could un-do that... and if there are more replicas around - interest will grow.

:wtf: Daggits are like cars...
-Could I make a replica Corvette based on a Fiero, sure... but wouldn't I rather own a REAL Corvette? (Yes.)
-If there was only 1 Corvette ever made would people be as interested in Corvettes now with clubs and merchandising and such?
-In the same vein, Corvette production #1 would command more at an auction vs. a brand new Corvette off the assembly line, literally made yesterday. Yet, the new one is superior in every way - isn't it? - but no one would care vs. Corvette #1. :shock:

There is rare and priceless --- but it could shift into obscurity... and then unwanted and worthless if no-one cares about it.

And yes - @Cy - Watermarks ARE BAD! They are only there as you said to keep money flowing and status in check. I never water mark my stuff unless it is not ready to use/done - then I'd put PREVIEW or F.P.O. on it, etc.

Cy
Raider Commander

Post by Cy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:49 pm

the only time i REALLY have an issue with them is when they obscure image details. of course im refering to Train photos. ;) It might be different if I couldnt find 20 or 30 other photos of this same engine or go take a 100 of my own.

Return to “Daggit Builders' Forum”