Screen used Helmet at Propstore

Sometimes screen used costumes/props get split up! Baltar's pants are no longer with his tunic (as a set with one owner)... Centurions have no rifles... and so on. Collectors post up info on orphaned screen used items you own - and maybe its matching garment/prop owner will find you for a Battlestar reunion.
testsqa
Citizen

Re: Screen used Helmet at Propstore

Post by testsqa » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:20 am

GoldCylon wrote:There were really no stunt, or hero per say. They just made the helmets, and made a few changes as filming progressed. That is a older more like very early original helmet.
How does the propstore helmet compare against the heritage auction helmet

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1586

I assume the heritage helmet is a later version based on the vacuform grille. May I ask what type of changes were made as filming progressed. What are the tells that one could look for?

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:36 am

With out looking at the link there are differences in the helmets. The first run of helmets were made off Universal property by Apogee, and then when Universal took over the production of making the Cylon's, and other production related items it was a new group of guys that kind of reworked the insides. They rebuilt the electronics of the eye downgrading it a bit you might say. My original eye is from Apogee, and it is a over kill. Poor design, or 4X4 tuff compared to a say small economy car. If you need to go camping you take one vehicle compared to a trip to the corner store for a gallon of milk. They both do the same, just one is more efficient. Uni lighted the load and got away from the heat sink mouth grill, and started to make a smaller lighter light, and made a few openings in the helmet the camera can't see. The same molds were being used to make the helmet just the under the hood parts changed up over time. Also no Uni didn't just toss the Apogee stuff off to the side they used till till it broke, and then they migrated the new parts into the mix.

testsqa
Citizen

Post by testsqa » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:18 pm

GoldCylon wrote:With out looking at the link there are differences in the helmets. The first run of helmets were made off Universal property by Apogee, and then when Universal took over the production of making the Cylon's, and other production related items it was a new group of guys that kind of reworked the insides. They rebuilt the electronics of the eye downgrading it a bit you might say. My original eye is from Apogee, and it is a over kill. Poor design, or 4X4 tuff compared to a say small economy car. If you need to go camping you take one vehicle compared to a trip to the corner store for a gallon of milk. They both do the same, just one is more efficient. Uni lighted the load and got away from the heat sink mouth grill, and started to make a smaller lighter light, and made a few openings in the helmet the camera can't see. The same molds were being used to make the helmet just the under the hood parts changed up over time. Also no Uni didn't just toss the Apogee stuff off to the side they used till till it broke, and then they migrated the new parts into the mix.
Thanks for detailed response.

When Universal (Hartland?) lighted the load did they change the type/wattage of the bulbs used or was the work primarily with the circuit board - I always assumed the bulbs/wattage caused the majority of the heat?

Since the Heritage auction shows a helmet with a vacuform grille, this would seem to indicate that this is probably Universal (Hartland?) production made helmet. Would this be a reasonable guess?

Thanks Again. I am hoping the upcoming PIH has a helmet only for sale and would like to learn as much as I can about the differents in the helmets.

GoldCylon
Founder

Screen used Helmet at Propstore

Post by GoldCylon » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:18 pm

The electronics were completely redesigned. In short when the original scanned broke down Hartland designed a lighter light system. The same format of bulbs and power rained the same.
Image :cylongold: :cylongold: :cylongold:

FLIGHTLDR SERPENTINE
Squadron Leader

Post by FLIGHTLDR SERPENTINE » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:36 pm

No holes on the 2nd one for sure. Can't tell on the first one from these pics. I did come across an original stunt helmet years and years ago a "professional" friend owned (which he loaned me to mold, which had the eye socket without electronics and no drilled holes). He told me it was a stunt head. Looked just like #2, frankly.
:cylongold: "SEARCH FOR WRECKAGE... LEAVE NO SURVIVORS..."

Return to “Screen Used Orphans”