MY HELMET

Sometimes screen used costumes/props get split up! Baltar's pants are no longer with his tunic (as a set with one owner)... Centurions have no rifles... and so on. Collectors post up info on orphaned screen used items you own - and maybe its matching garment/prop owner will find you for a Battlestar reunion.

Should I build a separate display for this helmet alone?

YES
73%
NO
27%

Total votes: 11

FLIGHTLDR SERPENTINE
Squadron Leader

MY HELMET

Post by FLIGHTLDR SERPENTINE » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:03 pm

Well here it is...

The eye still works nicely. A few scratches here and there, but I love it. Looks to me like it is a later-incarnation, hence the vacuformed grill and placement of the electronics. I've been wanting to build some sort of display for it but I have also wanted to get the rest of the centurion costume to display it on, too. I am split on building a matching chrome body to my head OR building a completely new copper centurion, and display this head separately. Opinions? Any ideas for a display?
Attachments
helmet6.jpg
helmet5.jpg
helmet4.jpg
helmet3.jpg
helmet2.jpg
helmet1.jpg

:cylongold: "SEARCH FOR WRECKAGE... LEAVE NO SURVIVORS..."

Big Al
Command Centurion

Re: MY HELMET

Post by Big Al » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:12 pm

FLIGHTLDR SERPENTINE wrote:Well here it is...

The eye still works nicely. A few scratches here and there, but I love it. Looks to me like it is a later-incarnation, hence the vacuformed grill and placement of the electronics. I've been wanting to build some sort of display for it but I have also wanted to get the rest of the centurion costume to display it on, too. I am split on building a matching chrome body to my head OR building a completely new copper centurion, and display this head separately. Opinions? Any ideas for a display?
Well if it was me I would try to get the rest of the screen used suit and display it that way (Probably the most exspensive way) or

Forget that and have Tap Plastics build you a acrylic display box for this helmet since it is a valuble screen used relic (Hisorical Costume Prop) and just build you a new suit and helmet to troop around in!

If you buy a ready made replica suit to go with your vintage helmet it might not match?...and besides I wouldn't want to take any chances that your vintage helmet would get damaged for whatever reason.
By Your Command

FLIGHTLDR SERPENTINE
Squadron Leader

Post by FLIGHTLDR SERPENTINE » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:31 pm

Thanks for the input. I should add that I don't plan to troop in it at all. Purely a display figure. I'd love to locate more chrome screen used parts, but as you said, it is the more expensive route.

GoldCylon
Founder

MY HELMET

Post by GoldCylon » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:45 pm

Ack. Big reply from pc later
Image :cylongold: :cylongold: :cylongold:

Skullbeast
Outpost Commander

MY HELMET

Post by Skullbeast » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:55 pm

Looks great! I love how you can see the 4 bulbs lit. I want one of the OG cylons!

---
- Die human!

Skullbeast
Outpost Commander

MY HELMET

Post by Skullbeast » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:57 pm

I would just do the acrylic box thing. Su gold! Keep it safe so I can buy it when your ready to sell!!! Lol

---
- Die human!

Big Al
Command Centurion

Post by Big Al » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:01 pm

FLIGHTLDR SERPENTINE wrote:Thanks for the input. I should add that I don't plan to troop in it at all. Purely a display figure. I'd love to locate more chrome screen used parts, but as you said, it is the more expensive route.
Then if you don't plan to troop i would say just get a real nice acrylic display box for it. since it has a scanner I would make provisions to wire it up so you can run the scanner in the box. (Power supply)

I have collected alot ref pics from the net and I found this one on a movie prop/auction site
cylon_helmet_1.jpg
cylon_helmet_2.jpg
By Your Command

Big Al
Command Centurion

Post by Big Al » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:11 pm

GoldCylon wrote:Ack. Big reply from pc later
Dale has somthing to say I think.... :lol: He is the guardian and keeper of all things cylon for the 13th colony and I know he has many screen used cylon artifacts. so he may have some better ideas. :salute:
By Your Command

FLIGHTLDR SERPENTINE
Squadron Leader

Post by FLIGHTLDR SERPENTINE » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:45 pm

Any feedback is appreciated. Curious to hear from you, Dale.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:59 pm

OK I know of two guys that spent about 6 years buying, and collecting up screen used pieces to put a Cylon together. Yeah it is a extremely long haul, and maybe it can no longer happen since not many people are selling off their parts anymore, but they have most of two complete Cylons put together. The both lack under suits, or boots, or gloves, or a screen used skirt, but they have the armor pieces. They also paid much less than if they would have bought a Cylon out right. One is going to have his armor rechromed because you do get a mix and match of pieces when you buy piece at a time like this. The over all cost of the Cylon piece by piece method is much cheaper believe it or not.

Now I have also seen a nice display of a Cylon helmet. It had a couple of wire harness hanging below the helmet that were made to look like it was torn like the Cylon had been decapitated. If I recall it was sitting a tad sideways on what clearly looked like dirt on a mount. Looked like it was battle kill victim. A false damaged wall, and blaster burns, and it might be a nice display while gathering up your Cylon pieces.

Big Al
Command Centurion

Post by Big Al » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:08 pm

I knew he would have some good ideas! :salute:

Just one thing....If you have screen used parts re-chromed, doesn't that de value the peice?
By Your Command

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:21 pm

The only one it devalues is to the one that it matters to. Most people want it to look good over screen used scratch and bump unless it is a piece that is supposed to have the battle damage look.

Big Al
Command Centurion

Post by Big Al » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:53 pm

GoldCylon wrote:The only one it devalues is to the one that it matters to. Most people want it to look good over screen used scratch and bump unless it is a piece that is supposed to have the battle damage look.
Well that makes sense! it's just everything else in the world that is an antique or somthing original that is restored usualy is devalued .....well not exactly everything ....old cars restored bring big money...but high valued antique furniture will become almost worthless when restored so I guess it just depends on what it is.

I can see your point.....If it were me I would want original even if it were scratched....But that's just me and I'm not trying to mix and match....if I were, I would probably have a different opinion and I could see if you gathered all the parts and the parts were different shades you would want to do that.

I'm just all flippy floppy today! :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:
By Your Command

Big Al
Command Centurion

Post by Big Al » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:59 pm

Dale I have a question and I'll bet you know.

Who made the original cylon parts? was it done in house at uni...or was it someone like Andrew Ainsworth?

Were all the part Vac Formed or are they fiberglass?
By Your Command

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:11 pm

Ralph Massey was that artiest the sculpted and molded, and vac-formed the 1st set. He then moved on to a few other projects, and then left a short while after before the show even began filming.

Return to “Screen Used Orphans”