ANYONE MADE A RAZOR CYLON LIFE SIZE STATUE?

The TV movie based on the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica - the story of the Battlestar Pegasus several months prior to it finding the Galactica.
aussiecylon
Patrol Leader

ANYONE MADE A RAZOR CYLON LIFE SIZE STATUE?

Post by aussiecylon » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:06 am

Hi,
I'm new to this group, been searching all over the forums but can't seem to find if anyone has actually built a life sized Razor Cylon statue. We have all seen the Star Wars Storm troopers outfits but I reckon a cylon would be so much cooler. Anyone know of this being done and if possible, any links to photos etc?

I'm thinking of using a Diamond Select Cylon figure as a basis to build a life size version. Would this be a viable way to go? How accurate are these? I've seen Pierre's pics on the web but haven't as yet compared them to the toy figure.

I saw a thread on here of someone making a Razor cylon helmet, but no updates in a few years....

Any ideas?

cheers

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Re: ANYONE MADE A RAZOR CYLON LIFE SIZE STATUE?

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:00 pm

Hello and welcome, aussiecylon!

A Razor Centurion would be WOW. I don't remember any builds going on here... you can be the first!
The larger toys of the character would be a great starting point but you'd have to add on a lot more detail for a towering full size bad @$$ cylon! :)

If you are on facebook you might check out ByYourCommand.net there - we've recently welcomed "Mojo" as an admin there and he did CGI work on the nuBSG - Razor too. He may have some insight that could help you take on a full size build.

Please keep us posted if you do start one. Till then read, post to - and enjoy BYC.net!
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:31 am

The predecessor to the "Razor" Centurions, the U-87 from "Caprica", was build as full-sized version:

Would be great to see a finished "Razor" version as well...
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

aussiecylon
Patrol Leader

Post by aussiecylon » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:44 am

Yes...now that is pretty cool. That's the sort of thing I'm talking about. That would look soooo coool in my man cave....I'm surprised no one's ever done a razor version...I think they are probably one of the best looking robots ever to grace our screens.
Is that a broom handle holding him (her) up?

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:22 pm

But what type of Razor Centurion?
There was the soldier and the pilot type...

...or you can just build them BOTH! ;)

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:26 pm

Oh the race is on. Another board member contacted me about photos so he could build a Razor Cylon suit so he could wear it. So lets see what can happen here.

aussiecylon
Patrol Leader

Post by aussiecylon » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:23 am

It would be pretty hard to make a suit to actually wear...unless he's got a veeerrryyy thin stomach to fit under the 'hydraulic pistons' of the cylon pilot. But I guess he could do it with the soldier cylon....he can hide behind the ammo clips and the 'skirt shield thingy' over the abdomen. That's the one I would probably do for a wearable suit.
But I just want a poseable robot in the corner of the room, and the pilot with all the exposed mechanical gizmos would look pretty darn cool.
Now ....if I can only find the time and money......and I ain't got any of both!!!

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:09 am

aussiecylon wrote:It would be pretty hard to make a suit to actually wear...unless he's got a veeerrryyy thin stomach to fit under the 'hydraulic pistons' of the cylon pilot. But I guess he could do it with the soldier cylon....he can hide behind the ammo clips and the 'skirt shield thingy' over the abdomen. That's the one I would probably do for a wearable suit.
But I just want a poseable robot in the corner of the room, and the pilot with all the exposed mechanical gizmos would look pretty darn cool.
Now ....if I can only find the time and money......and I ain't got any of both!!!
He plans on making it wearable so a lot of the stuff basically large, and more than 1 inch deep with a compromise will be made as much as possible to look authentic. Maybe painted on parts on a undersuit could be the plan also.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:41 pm

A suit would be cool... but it will have to be very creative to get around the elbows and upper arms that are all but hollow and still look "Razor-ish" - not "Guy in suit-ish" (ala 1978). I am sure it can be done, and our fellow BYC member will knock it out of the park!

No time or money, aussiecylon? We are Cylons! Just TAKE THEM. lol :roll:
If anything you can start off small with a hand or something... get some old VCRs or the like and reuse the guts and electronic bits. Maybe make it 1/2 scale to reduce costs?!

Either way Razor rocks! :) :cylon:

aussiecylon
Patrol Leader

Post by aussiecylon » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:27 pm

I really had my heart on a full sized cylon, and I initially dismissed your idea of a 1/2 scale as,... well,...why bother...but then the more I thought about it, the more sense it made....a brainwave of sorts hit me....forget full scale (for now at least), forget 1/2 scale (again, for the time being) how 'bout a smaller scale.....wait for it......total height of around 14 inches (or so) to match the original series cylons released by AMOK Toys/Tower Records? They are almost 13" tall from ground to top of helmet, so I figure the Razors are a bit taller, so maybe about 14" or so.
I reckon that would look pretty awesome next to my AMOK cylon.

The easiest way to do this would be to pull apart a Diamond Select cylon to it's individual parts and just make every component about 60 or 70 % bigger. (haven't worked out the exact measurements yet). At the same time, compare CGI images and incorporate them into the design. The Diamond Select cylon measures about 8 1/2" with legs fully extended.

And I'll probably go for the pilot figure, not the warrior, as the warrior has all his robotic internals hidden by the ammo clips and the 'mesh skirt thingy', whereas the pilot has all the robotics exposed for all to see. Looks much cooler in my opinion.

Maybe someone has already done this.....anyone know??

aussiecylon
Patrol Leader

Post by aussiecylon » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:57 pm

I was browsing on youtube over the last couple of weeks and came across a couple of things that caught my little red eye.

1: how to make a noisy compressor whisper quiet with a fridge motor/compressor.....&
2: how to make a vacuformer

Both very interesting topics..

As fate would have it, I came across a refrigerated vending machine which was being thrown out and left on the nature strip for collection. I asked the bloke if it was OK to pull out the motor, and he said yes. So, now I have this grouse little motor to wack on top of my little compressor. I will let you know how I get on with it. (and if it actually works and is worth doing....maybe there was a reason it was being thrown out...hmmmmm :? )

And for point 2....I have always wanted a vacuformer, but never really needed one....(difference between want and need, you see, so the wife keeps telling me ;) ), and I came across some designs on youtube that I reckon will be cool....take some design cues from this one, that one and the other and combine them all into one awesome vacuformer.....and the point of this you say?.....I will need one to make my little (for now) razor cylon pilot. (the big one comes later :D )

Perhaps I shoulda started another thread for this???

Will update as I get things done.....cheers

aussiecylon
Patrol Leader

Post by aussiecylon » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:37 am

First update....geez I move quick when I want to :D ,

Tested the fridge motor/compressor.....seems to be working fine....whisper quiet......pulled apart the old air cooled compressor motor and turfed it aside. Drilled some mounting holes etc, for the fridge motor to mount on, all good, then rubbed and cleaned the air tank and gave it a coat of paint. I am waiting for it to dry as I write this, to give it another coat.

More updates as they happen.....cheers

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:36 pm

Rock and roll, aussiecylon.
I have long dreamed of making my own vacform machine. What type of heat source will your build use?

aussiecylon
Patrol Leader

Post by aussiecylon » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:21 am

Not much has been done in the past couple of days, except that I sprayed the air tank and baked it in the oven for about 45 minutes....just don't tell the Imperious Leader of my household!! Turned out really well, nice deep shine to it. Mounted the fridge motor to the tank, and connected a little air filter to the inlet. That's about it for now. Still gotta get some fittings to connect the pipe to the tank etc...Should be finished on the weekend, work permitting. Only one thing is bugging me....the motor gets quite warm after a few minutes running and it is causing some concern. I know that the coolant/gas is no longer in the unit, having been released when the motor was extracted from the fridge. I have heard that some light machine oil inserted into the inlet pipe should cure this, but am a bit reluctant to try this without confirmation by a 'higher authority' other than some guy on youtube :roll:

More updates as they happen....cheers

aussiecylon
Patrol Leader

Post by aussiecylon » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:31 am

Cylon Knight...I've been checking out youtube, and came across some guy in England who makes life size wearable outfits of movie robots such as C3PO and Iron Man etc...his site is XROBOTS and he has some pretty cool things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation ... fJOhrt001c

Hopefully the above link works. It shows the heat source that he uses, and I'm planning on a similar thing for the life size razor. For the 'practice run' small scale version, I reckon an oven should be plenty big enough.

I have seen some of his videos and he does some really impressive stuff. Check him out.

cheers

Return to “Razor”