DragonCon anyone?

The Cylons are out to rule the world. If you have pics from a Con - or info on an upcoming event - post them here.
Mr Fett
Phalanx Leader

Re: DragonCon anyone?

Post by Mr Fett » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:21 pm

This will be my 10 year anniversary of attending Dragon Con, and while I have both Predator and Cylon costumes myself, I will be bringing neither with me this year. Gotta mix it up each year and bring different stuff. :lol:

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:15 am

Hey I wanna see you dress up one of those new CGI Cylon's...LoL

CylonJon
Spare Parts

Post by CylonJon » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:13 pm

GoldCylon wrote:Hey I wanna see you dress up one of those new CGI Cylon's...LoL
That would be awesome. I've been trying to think of a way to make one. You would have to be SUPER SKINNY to make it look good.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:03 am

I have seen a few new Cylon costumes, and 2 were made as joke via cardboard, or some other throw away material, while the 3rd one was over all awesome. Not sure of the material, but he did a great job getting the skinny parts to conform to his size, and the over all look was very impressive, and tall.

Mr Fett
Phalanx Leader

Post by Mr Fett » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:41 pm

CylonJon wrote:
GoldCylon wrote:Hey I wanna see you dress up one of those new CGI Cylon's...LoL
That would be awesome. I've been trying to think of a way to make one. You would have to be SUPER SKINNY to make it look good.
I AM super skinny.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:46 pm

Then you need to do C3PO I'd love to be able to build/wear a C3PO suit. (Too much gut ;))
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Darth Clayton
Raider Pilot

Post by Darth Clayton » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:56 pm

Well I haven't posted in like forever, so I thought I might as well tell my tale of DC 2010..

To start with I had an issue withe the suit where all the painted areas on the ribbing, biceps, thighs, & ankles started peeling off for some unknown reason. I wore it most of the evening on Friday till around 1AM at the Marriott and received a ton of compliments on it as well. When I got back to the room and took it off I notied the peeling was extremely bad. I was marching with the BSG group in the parade on Saturday morning, so I stayed up all night and peeled all the paint off of the above areas so that it would at least look uniform and not some fracked up mess. Needless to say I got done about 6:30 AM on Saturday morning so I didn't get any sleep.

Here is a picture before..

On Saturday at the parade I marched as planned with the BSG group along with Cylon John (a member here I believe) and some guy in a cardboard "new" cylon. About half way through the parade I blew my neck strap (as you can see in the photo) and finished the parade with it flapping around. I was so pissed, but hey what can you do. I did find some things out about the suit though and that is that the skirt is fracking heavy. The suspender system that SDC put in wasn't strong enough and the bib/pants kept falling down so I have to fix that.

I did get my boots and gloves painted though and those held up real well. I didn't dye them I just used good old Krylon black on them. Took several coats, but there were no problems with them once they dried. I also removed the chrome tape from the boots and painted them silver.

I contacted SDC as soon as I got home and told them of the problem with the paint peeling, and they contacted the manufacturer of the areas in question and said it was a defect in the material. They are making me a new suit, but they won't get started on it till after halloween. :(

I also didn't get my ankle parts finished. I tried to paint them with some of the Krylon chrome paint, but they looked like crap. I've got a buddy in Cincy that has the friend that does the spray on chrome and the vacuum metalizing and he said he might be able to sneak my parts in the next time they have a chroming job.. :wink:

Comments welcomed.. :byyourcommand:
Jeff

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:23 pm

LOOKS GREAT!
The gloves are very nice indeed... the paint worked great.

Post up more pics/info when you can... the other Cylon looks good too. But the "NuCenturion" in the cardboard... not so cool :? BUT he gets an A+ for effort and the guts to have fun in his make-shift suit. SO SAY WE ALL!

Mardikrewe
Patrol Member

Post by Mardikrewe » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:14 am

We had a blast as well. My wife is "finally" into costuming. I didn't get a lot of pictures in my Cylon as I only suited up once the entire weekend. We mostly did Predator which was equally as fun it turned out.

Here's what I have:
1. Me and my friend John in his very nice Viper suit.

Walking through the crowd:

Mardikrewe
Patrol Member

Post by Mardikrewe » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:19 am

Here's a few of Mr. Wolf:

Us together in better light:

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:08 am

Congrats to both of you. Those look great. Very good job, and your wife's boots....Man those are so cool looking
:cylongold:

Mardikrewe
Patrol Member

Post by Mardikrewe » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:17 am

Thanks GOLD!

I haven't been on the boards much this past year. These 2 suits have consumed me. I had no idea there would be that much work involved. STILL not finished but ............ are we ever really finished?

Jeff

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin

Post by Red Eye » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:17 am

Darth Clayton wrote:Well I haven't posted in like forever, so I thought I might as well tell my tale of DC 2010..

To start with I had an issue withe the suit where all the painted areas on the ribbing, biceps, thighs, & ankles started peeling off for some unknown reason. I wore it most of the evening on Friday till around 1AM at the Marriott and received a ton of compliments on it as well. When I got back to the room and took it off I notied the peeling was extremely bad. I was marching with the BSG group in the parade on Saturday morning, so I stayed up all night and peeled all the paint off of the above areas so that it would at least look uniform and not some fracked up mess. Needless to say I got done about 6:30 AM on Saturday morning so I didn't get any sleep.

Here is a picture before..

On Saturday at the parade I marched as planned with the BSG group along with Cylon John (a member here I believe) and some guy in a cardboard "new" cylon. About half way through the parade I blew my neck strap (as you can see in the photo) and finished the parade with it flapping around. I was so pissed, but hey what can you do. I did find some things out about the suit though and that is that the skirt is fracking heavy. The suspender system that SDC put in wasn't strong enough and the bib/pants kept falling down so I have to fix that.

I did get my boots and gloves painted though and those held up real well. I didn't dye them I just used good old Krylon black on them. Took several coats, but there were no problems with them once they dried. I also removed the chrome tape from the boots and painted them silver.

I contacted SDC as soon as I got home and told them of the problem with the paint peeling, and they contacted the manufacturer of the areas in question and said it was a defect in the material. They are making me a new suit, but they won't get started on it till after halloween. :(

I also didn't get my ankle parts finished. I tried to paint them with some of the Krylon chrome paint, but they looked like crap. I've got a buddy in Cincy that has the friend that does the spray on chrome and the vacuum metalizing and he said he might be able to sneak my parts in the next time they have a chroming job.. :wink:

Comments welcomed.. :byyourcommand:
Thank you for sharing these photos with us!

I'm sorry to hear that the undersuit is so poorly constructed!

Now, I'm really worried about mine...

By the way: I STILL got no word from SD yet! Did they tell you anything about the second suit (mine) that's in the making?
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin

Post by Red Eye » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:21 am

GREAT photos from you as well, Mardikrewe! Thanks for sharing.

I wish I have a undersuit like yours... *Dream*
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:05 pm

WOW Mardikrewe. Mr. and Mrs. Pred is NICE. You do A+ work!
Remember to send me the images you wanted Photoshop'd... :)

Return to “Conventions and Get-Togethers”