About: Space Above and Beyond

Space Above and Beyond a single session series that was on the FOX network in 95/96 based off Marines in space fighting the Chig's.

P.S. also visit SpaceAboveAndBeyond.tv a great site for info on SAAB.
GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:30 pm

Plot: The Earth is embroiled in a desperate war against alien invaders, and this series focuses on one squadron of Marine pilots involved in it.

Genre: Drama | Sci-Fi

The setting takes place in Earth's future when we are exploring space, and are now settling other worlds. The night the 1st colony sets camp on a other world the camp is attacked by a unknown called the Chig. The human race knows we aren't alone, and they the rude awaking also puts us at war. The human race is for the fight of their life, and the crew of the USS Saratoga and the fighters that man the Hammerhead's.

I opened this page to open up discussion about this show that was in many ways like Galactica. It had a strong following to the show, but the network was out to kill it, and they did after one single session, and the major discussion board that has been around a long time (SpaceAboveAndBeyond.tv) has closed it forum down do to spammers.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Re: About: Space Above and Beyond

Post by Cylon-Knight » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:05 pm

What year was the show on TV?
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:10 pm

It ran on the FOX Network in 95/96

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:41 am

I always thought that it had a lot in common with Battlestar Galactica...

Great show, nevertheless...

But sadly, it shared the same fate with the original series of BSG: It all ended after one season...
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

Tinman
Fallen Centurion - R.I.P.

Post by Tinman » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:28 am

Glad to see this forum, always liked SAAB, was sad to see it go away and NEVER did understand why they got rid of it. Was a good show and above average on the storylines - hell of a lot better than some of the other "Claptrap" that was taking up airtime at the time. Most likely wasn't enough room and needed more Vampire shows on. :roll:

Anyway, glad to see this up, hope to do some posting here.
TINMAN

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:39 am

Well the sad fact about SAAB was it was a deal between Fox, and the producers of X Files. Glen Morgan, and James Wong. They asked when they signed up with Fox if X Files made it, if they could do their own series separate from Chris Carter. Well X Files was a smash hit for Fox, and so they had to let Morgan, and Wong have their show. So SAAB was born, but the Fox wasn't comfortable with them leaving X Files, and the show wasn't as strong with them gone so the tricks began. Fox moved SAAB all around the board with start times, and confused the fan based views with not finding in its time slot more than 3-4 episodes at a time. It had OK ratings, but not good enough so Fox came it the axe. SAAB had the last laugh in that they won 3 major awards as the series wrapped. One surprise was that no one picked it up after those awards they had to boast about now. Well Morgan, and Wong went on back to X Files, and Lt Shane Vansen (Kristen Cloke) married Glen Morgan while the others still struggle to find work.

Galactifan
Flight Leader

Post by Galactifan » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:21 pm

SAAB was an awesome TV show that should have got at least another season (or more).

RustyNetwork
Patrol Member

Post by RustyNetwork » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:44 am

This was one of my favorite shows, still is. that and Babylon 5. Good old scifi. Ive got both on dvd someplace, at least I think I do. Real shame that SAAB was killed off right when it got interesting. People were hating on the Chigs. Who knows, maybe someday it will .. no, no it won't ever come back but we can hope.
http://leopoldgarrity.deviantart.com/ most of my photoshop and mecha related materials! I like to write and so on. Also, bacon is the greatest food ever.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:02 am

Does anyone know if it is on NetFlix or something? I've never seen it... sounds neat.
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:42 am

I have no idea. I had NetFlix 2 months. Never used it after the 3rd week so I dropped it.
Image :cylongold: :cylongold: :cylongold:

RustyNetwork
Patrol Member

Post by RustyNetwork » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:02 pm

I think it's fallen into the abandonware pit of tv shows. I can probably find you a link to get it through less then 'standard' means if you want though that may be frowned upon here.
http://leopoldgarrity.deviantart.com/ most of my photoshop and mecha related materials! I like to write and so on. Also, bacon is the greatest food ever.

Return to “Space Above and Beyond”