What would you like to see in the new Galactica?

Talk about Tom DeSanto's attempted Battlestar Galactica remake.
GoldCylon
Founder

What would you like to see in the new Galactica?

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:05 pm

OK I know what I would like to see, but I would like to hear a few others point of view about what the new movie should or shouldn't have.

Will this be a cross over of the two shows?

Back to original roots 100%?

What would be best for us as the original fans that brought life back into the world of Galactica since the release of the Moore version.

Should the new movie pick up in space and time 30 years later, or start all over again?

Will the Cylons be a man in a costume, or CGI?

Galactifan
Flight Leader

Post by Galactifan » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:21 pm

Whatever the new movie ends up being (and honestly, I don't think it will ever happen) it won't be OUR beloved classic Battlestar Galactica. Some things should just be left alone to be remembered the way the are.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:49 pm

I feel in my heart that we were short changed in that a great show was basically killed off because the show was a hit, but not a big hit in the pocket book for ABC, and Universal both. We the true fans still have a lust for this show to take it to the next level (aka 2nd session) to help complete the quest of what the show should have been, and now finally having a true 2nd chance to do it again it looks like high hopes are in deed OK. Your correct it wont be what it was for many reasons, mostly time passed, but a chance to bring back a movie that we the original fan base can eat it up, and say it was worth the wait.

Cy
Raider Commander

Post by Cy » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:39 am

IMHO, id love to see them take it back to grass roots and capture the spirit of the old show. I dont care if they make it 30 years in the futute if they include the original cast. Well, short of exuming Lorne Green. But then again, if they did they could prop him up and shoot behind his fuzzy head like the IL. :wink: And I would love to see cylons in suits and not CGI. When CGI gets used, they tend to muck things up by making things "too Busy". Id love to see Joss Wedon get involved. A great example of a fine balance was Serenity. CGI used to its fullest, yet retains the human element and realizm without overkill. I felt it was believable vs the new startrek that went overboard on CGI.

Tom
Last edited by Cy on Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:19 am

I think the Glen Larson film should keep in line with the original show. That is what worked before, and he did it. He would have to update it for today's audience. However, there wouldn't be need to change much really - a good story is a good story.

They would need to either start over with the Cylon assault - or do some sort of flash back. I think a re-telling would be better. That way new viewers could invest more in the characters. Why would you care about Adama if he was just in the middle of fleeing from Cylon Tyranny... seeing his world die, going down to his destroyed home - wife missing, etc. You invest in the characters and get pulled into their world. A new movie would need to re-create this attachment so viewers want to VIEW. If anything I'd like to see more of the Cylon pre-assault, perhaps as a flash back during a story to Boxey. Really flesh out the Cylon characters and purpose. They should be shown in a very dark, terrifying way - they are untiring, unrelenting machines with a single goal - EXTERMAINATION!

I think Cylons should remain actors in suits, but not necessarily EXACT 1978 suits - but a close retooling. And the Imperious Leader and I.L.'s should have much larger roles to drive the story.

No matter what, the 1978 characters and time-line is still very viable for a major motion picture today. It can exist alongside SciFi's mini and TV series no trouble (it HAS been). I think with Glen doing the work it will be a very entertaining show - BUT OH MY GOODNESS --- DO NOT LEAVE HIM OUT! The new Knight Rider died a slow painful death from it's first TV movie on due to the lack of Glen. I hope that's a lesson the industry learns - can't just tinker to your heart
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin

Post by Red Eye » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:23 pm

You're right, Cylon-Knight.

I'm also hoping that they'll showing more of the Imperious Leader as well. I think the character had much more potential than Glen Larson might have thought back then...

I'd also gladly borrow them my mask if they're going to use the same look of the classic one... :wink:

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:23 pm

Tom DeSanto was going to use CGI, and a live actor for the Cylon's. Matter of fact the casting of the Cylon was just with in hours or days of being cast when the plug was pulled back in 2001. I am sure from the actors point of view having a real guy in front of you shooting is much easier then acting like your taking laser blast out of the clear blue. Ron Moore figured that out and had stand in actors wearing a vest later on.

Tinman
Fallen Centurion - R.I.P.

Post by Tinman » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:29 am

My thing is going back to the oldstyle Cylons with a kinda of "Desanto Slant."

Loved the Centurions from RAZOR and wouldn't mind seeing them again - The regular Centurions, Soldier Centurions, Gold Commanders. However I would like to see something along the lines of the special "Pilot" models and maybe even a "Pretorian" model (like my avatar) to reprecent the IL Series of TOS.

I also would like to see them keep the "Manned" ships like the Raiders of TOS & RAZOR.

And NOT ONE Skinjob in site. That was what pretty much killed BSG2 for me.

Just my $.02

<S>!
TINMAN

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:40 pm

I loved the Razor Cylons, and a excellent job in the modernization of our beloved classic chromed guy, but because it is now a different production we won't see the Razor Cylon again. Maybe the same guys that worked in the production will reappear, but they will be working will all new designs. It is way to early to even begin to figure out what these guys will look like since a script hasn't even been drawn up yet. Once the script is written, and approved the step of working on concept review begins. This is a ways off before that happens. We have been waiting over 30 years the classic Galactica to be brought back, and few more years is nothing.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:28 pm

I just hope that "the powers that be" ask US about it all before they goof stuff up!!! :wink:

Soulsearcher
Citizen

Re: What would you like to see in the new Galactica?

Post by Soulsearcher » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:05 pm

Well I'm awaiting news on this just like every one else who loves and follows anything Galactica. With the ground breaking use of CGI and the constant use of it, I hope that it will be used but with the affection to the original series, in moderation and not overkill. I personally would love to see real life actors strutting about as REAL Cylons once again and bring back memories of sitting in front of the tv screen in awe of those big shiney, menacing machines with a very terrifying voice that gave my little sister nightmares oh so many moons ago,as I would imagine many other hardened fans of the original seventies classic would too.All I can say is I await to be blown away and not blown off by another revamped and boring couple of hours of mindless nonsense. we'll see.

And hell yeah bring back some of the old charactors from the original series, do flash backs give the newer generation an insight into what we saw and work with it not against it like some revamps, remakes or reboots do these days! I rest my case!!

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:50 am

I feel like I have been kidnapped and gagged. So much I hear from the inside, and act the news nothing Earth moving the movie is still moving along. It takes time, and well lets see what happens, and keep fingers crossed for a great bottom line result.

Vagabond
Banned User

Post by Vagabond » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:01 pm

I think that they will use live actors for the Cylons but I don't think they are going to look like the 80's Cylons just look at how they messed up the look of the Cylons in Caprica, and I won't even get started on the new BSG version of the Cylons no matter how far in the future they supposedly "evolved". I for one would love to see how this show turns out and I hope it does'nt start up and then a few months later it dies like Caprica is in the middle of doing.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:23 am

At least Ron Moore thought a head a bit and wrapped the season up in the can before any of the shows aired. That way if it was canceled mid season like it was a full DVD season release can be made if the shows air or not. In Caprica's case it will air, but not till next year. I hope they do a marathon weekend and get it all over at once, and then do the entire thing say 1 episode every week start to finish. Also no matter how many Apples are shipped to the Uni ex's or attention is throw at trying to get Caprica back on the air as a weekly series it will look different since a major part of the props, and costumes are in, or on there way to LA already from Canada. Alec Peters from PropWorx went up to Canada last week to secure, package, and ship the item back to LA for soon to be held eBay auctions. It would be till early next year, but look for some of your favorite items to show up on eBay. BTW nothing at all was mentioned about the U-87 Cylon.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:38 pm

I wonder if SyFy is keeping the U-87 since they probably did spend A LOT on it... and it is the most Iconic prop from the show... PLUS... I'm sure they will use it in Blood and Chrome.

Return to “DeSanto's Battlestar Galactica 2011”