Looks like Larson is taking a shot again

Talk about Tom DeSanto's attempted Battlestar Galactica remake.
137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Looks like Larson is taking a shot again

Post by 137th Gebirg » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:27 am

I don't think this was mentioned here yet - Variety has an article about a potential new BSG movie. While we have all seen more false starts on this kind of project than we can count, I'm hoping that with Larson involved once again (and Singer isn't) that it may actually happen this time. Either way, I'll believe it when I see it.

I may appear unoccupied to you, but at the molecular level, I'm really quite busy.

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin

Re: Looks like Larson is taking a shot again

Post by Red Eye » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:40 am

137th Gebirg wrote:Either way, I'll believe it when I see it.
AMEN to that!

With Larson involved, chances are high that they'll might do a continuation of Classic BSG this time... let's hope so!
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:52 am

Well I found out the Glen won't talk about this, and that is normal when he has something in the works. Also a few simple questions I asked him a week ago he wouldn't answer. A legal suit between Glen and Universal is in play also, and maybe these two items are woven into one? Anyone I'll dig around and find out what I can.

Red Eye

Post by Red Eye » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:46 am

Thank you!
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Post by 137th Gebirg » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:59 pm

Indeed, thanks very much! :)

Now, if memory serves, Larson retained the rights for a BSG feature film, doubtless TOS based. I wonder if this still is the case. I somehow recall, several years ago, a rumor that he sold his rights to the feature film, getting out altogether. Perhaps this was an incorrect rumor but, then again, if he somehow still retains some rights even after a sale of "partial rights", then maybe that's what this behind-the-scenes litigation might be that GC mentioned. Maybe there's some confusion right now over who can do what. Ostensibly, the announcement came from Universal, but it specifically said that Larson is in on it. This may be nothing more than a simple "clearing-the-air", so to speak, on who gets what cut and/or who pays for what if/when this thing goes into production and gets released. Sheer speculation on my part, of course, but fun to do nonetheless. The well has been dry for far too long. :D
I may appear unoccupied to you, but at the molecular level, I'm really quite busy.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:23 pm

I was recently asked to be a small part of a movie relaunch, and was originally asked to talk to Glen about this, and his guidance. I received back a few basic answers, and when I asked follow up questions the reply went blank.

My questions were.
Who owns the TV rights to Galactica.
Answer.
Glen sold the TV rights off years ago, and they belong to Universal.

Who owns the movie or theatrical rights?
Answer
Glen owns the rights to any movie, and there's still litigation going on .

Who owns web series rights?
Answer
(Not given)

Who owns the publishing rights? book, comic, printed material ect
Answer
(Not given)

After this I asked if I could arrange a conversation with Tom DeSanto. I was not a part of the conversation, but Tom gave guidance on how to proceed. He was extremely helpful on the progress of what need to take place to get the ball rolling on a production, and what the hurdles would be. Tom was very positive. and helpful.
I have outstanding emails out requesting more information, but I am sure at this point in time there isn't much to say or do except watch things unfold.

PS I was told once Glen starts working on a project the conversation stops on what is going. So a lack of reply is maybe the best reply?

LarryDale140
Patrol Member

Post by LarryDale140 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:29 pm

Hi

The following was in our local paper:

A long-awaited movie version of Battlestar Galactica is back on track, five years after creator Glen A. Larson first began talks to adapt the cult sci-fi series for the big screen.

Studio bosses at Universal Pictures originally picked up the rights for the original 1978 TV show in 2009, with X-Men director Bryan Singer attached to direct, but the project suffered a series of delays and went through a script rewrite in 2012.

Now Jack Paglen, the writer behind Johnny Depp's new film Transcendence, has been hired to pen the script, which will be a complete reimagining of Battlestar Galactica, according to Variety.com.

The TV series featured humans battling a cybernetic race known as Cylons in a distant universe.

Larson is still onboard to produce the film, although it is not yet clear whether Singer will also be involved.

Battlestar Galactica ran for just one season in 1978, and was subsequently revived for a short-lived sequel series, Galactica 1980. It was later rebooted for a series run in 2003 and ran for four seasons.

Red Eye

Post by Red Eye » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:24 am

Oh no! Not another remake!!!

Thunderstruck
Raider Gunner

Post by Thunderstruck » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:07 am

ya know,,Art and Commerce are not real compatible..and throw in rights makes it all a tedious affair.

Any how,,I recall similar scenario with Spiderman.....it was a fight over rights..and who had what.

This is why there are 2 different Spiderman movies with different actors and titles.
Before any filming could be done on either.
But,,on the other hand....

when things are mulled over,thought about,,re-done...rinsed and repeated...often you may get
a better product than you set out too make...but some, will just make it to sell it.

Regards,
--ever get that feeling from a movie trailer, you can't wait to see it?-- That is what it does to me--

Return to “DeSanto's Battlestar Galactica 2011”