The 1978 action figures

Anything Classic Galactica that just doesn't fit into the other subjects.
Hope It Is The Grog
Squadron Leader

The 1978 action figures

Post by Hope It Is The Grog » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:32 pm

I was wondering why I never collected any of those at the time, so I looked on eBay. Now I remember why.

They really were crap, weren't they?

"I may move to the command chamber. I'm sure they're talking about me while I'm in here."
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sufferin ... 2291161676

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Re: The 1978 action figures

Post by Cylon-Knight » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:59 pm

They didn't get the same love that Kenner put into Star Wars figures, no. That is for sure.

Now they just live on as nostalgic notions of yesteryear... but...
There are those who believe...that action figures here began out there, far across the Universe...with tribes of action figures...who may have been the forefathers of the Transformers... or the Masters of the Universe... or the GI Joes... that they may have been the architects of Robotech...or the lost collections of Crystar... or Shogun Warriors.

Some believe that there may yet be action figures of Battlestar Galactica...who even now fight to survive somewhere beyond the heavens.
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:33 am

Great intro, C-K! They might use it when doing a documentary about BSG collectibles. :smile:

Actually, I think the Mattel toys weren't that bad. When you take a close look at the faces of the main cast action figures, you'll recognize that they've got a close likeness to the actual actors IMHO.

But they had one big flaw: The lack of important characters like Apollo, Boomer, Tigh and so on. Plus, the vehicles were much smaller so you couldn't use any figure to pilot them (you had to depend on the included, smaller pilot figures). But it that "smaller vehicles" trend has lived on to this day. All other licensed BSG toys made so far (Trendmasters, Joyride Studios) had smaller ships that weren't in scale to the figures.

Oh, and don't forget to visit our Mattel section in the gallery, Grog: http://www.byyourcommand.net/cylongalle ... php?cat=95
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

Hope It Is The Grog
Squadron Leader

Post by Hope It Is The Grog » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:27 am

Thanks. I can see now from the close-ups that Adama's face is pretty well done. And of course the Cylon and the daggit look good. I guess it's the lack of any paint on the faces that gets me. At least on the Star Wars figures they had pupils and eyebrows.
"I may move to the command chamber. I'm sure they're talking about me while I'm in here."
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sufferin ... 2291161676

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:56 am

Right, they could have used some more paint indeed. And just look at the odd colors the Imperious Leader received! *Shudder*

Guess Universal only provided black and white reference for him and it was up to Mattel to figure out the colors...
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

goldcylon1
First Centurion

Post by goldcylon1 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:14 pm

Red Eye wrote:Right, they could have used some more paint indeed. And just look at the odd colors the Imperious Leader received! *Shudder*

Guess Universal only provided black and white reference for him and it was up to Mattel to figure out the colors...

not to mention the groovy burgendy mumu. Even the Ovion was dressed better :cylongold:
Goldcylon@cox.net

Golddragon71
Citizen

Post by Golddragon71 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:04 pm

I've decided to collect some of these just for fun and it always gets me that Starbuck got a figure but Apollo never did. :huh:

anyway here's my Collection so far
The Cylons (An Evolution in Progress)
Colonial Viper (Classic Mattel)

bpagan
Citizen

Post by bpagan » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:56 pm

I have started collecting the vintage BSG figures and I agree compared to SW figures they are lacking. But that does not mean they are horrible either. I really like the Cylons, Baltar, Adama and Starbuck! I look forward to collecting all of them with the vehicles. :byyourcommand:

Hope It Is The Grog
Squadron Leader

Post by Hope It Is The Grog » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:50 pm

Hmm, that faintly rings a bell that there was no Apollo. That must have factored into my decision not to waste money on them at the time. I wasn't clever enough to buy two Starbucks and paint one like Apollo.

bpagan
Citizen

Post by bpagan » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:02 pm

Yeah not having an Apollo figure really stinks! I would have loved that one for sure. :huh:

goldcylon1
First Centurion

Post by goldcylon1 » Tue May 10, 2016 1:46 pm

Back in the day a few folks modded the Starbuck figure by painting the hair black and switching the gun to the left hand. :evillaugh:
Goldcylon@cox.net

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:50 pm

I've got a special 1978 figure in the works... :shock:
STAY TUNED FELLOW CYLONS!

johnnybear
Raider Commander

Post by johnnybear » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:14 am

I've got the Japanese BSG stuff! The Galactica, a Basestar (not a Baseship as I think that's nuh) a Viper, a Cylon Raider and two Centurions, one gold and one silver! Komi I think they were called and they're excellent! :cylongold:
JB

Jmvgreek1
Patrol Leader

Post by Jmvgreek1 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:46 pm

i have collected all the 1978 bsg figures in loose set and just missing a gold cylon on card back and llately i have been buying custom BSG figures and have grown my custom collection to over 110 figures attached is three pictures of my custom figures that i have collected.
Attachments
Figure 3.PNG
Figure 2.PNG
Figure 1.PNG

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:07 pm

:shock: An absolutely EPIC collection! :loveit:

If possible we'd love to have a good sized photo of each custom for our Gallery. Red Eye will love all of those figures! Truly amazing work.

Return to “Anything Classic Galactica”