Hand Signals?

The new direct to DVD release spin off show bases before the Cylon war. How the Cylons came about, and how the war started.
RavenLX
Raider Pilot

Hand Signals?

Post by RavenLX » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:15 am

This always bugged me. I recently found a video so I can give reference. Anyone know what the hand signals by the Cylon "Marine" commander mean? I guess something to the affect "Attention forces, report to my location and follow me. Let's go get 'em!" or something. But I know that's not the real translation. I'd like to know what that commander really was trying to say?

Here's the footage. The signals start at 2:17

RavenLX
Raider Pilot

Re: Hand Signals?

Post by RavenLX » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:16 am

Yay! I got a YouTube to work too! :cylon:

Hand-Schaub
First Centurion

Post by Hand-Schaub » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:24 am

For the most part they are typical "you go there" signals. The one that stands out at about 2 min is him twirling his arm in a circular fashion then doing a fist pump. The twirling arm is " prepare for next action" followed by "execute fast". It varies from army to army and sometimes animators just throw it together so it makes enough sense.

RavenLX
Raider Pilot

Post by RavenLX » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:15 pm

Thanks! Cool! I wish we had those types of soldiers for real. :) I was wondering if those were based on real military signs or what. Thanks for the info. I guess I was a bit off on my interpretation. :)

Hand-Schaub
First Centurion

Post by Hand-Schaub » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:40 pm

Actually I think since he points down it may mean "regroup here".

I was giving what I knew from my WWII reenacting (but I do German, so that's why there are probably some differences).

RavenLX
Raider Pilot

Post by RavenLX » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:35 pm

Like you say sometimes they put things together just to look good. And I admit it looked very good! I could almost imagine if they had dubbed in some classic vocoder to go along with it!

Ok, so he's saying to regroup for the next action at his position and execute the new command quickly, perhaps?

Oh, and did you notice how small the laptop screen is at the start but then when all the computer stuff is going on it looks like the laptop screen is suddenly the size of a wall? LOL! Or at least 22" (instead of 14").

Hand-Schaub
First Centurion

Post by Hand-Schaub » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:36 pm

movie magic.

RavenLX
Raider Pilot

Post by RavenLX » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:02 pm

Or as "Trekies" would say: YATI (Yet Another Trek Inconsistency) Or in this case, YACI? :lol:

goldcylon1
First Centurion

Post by goldcylon1 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:54 pm

The circling of the hand means rally on me. Then the cylon points to the exact spot where he wants the cylon troops to rally. The pumping of the fist up and down means to hurry up or move faster. These are standard Army infantry hand signals. GC1 :cylongold:
Goldcylon@cox.net

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:07 am

Wouldn't the use of hand singles be a bit... umm... unnecessary?

Shouldn't they be networked, or short range communicate, etc. etc.? That was the deal with nuBSG/Caprica.
The Cylons could *poof* get in yer networks. Why the Galactica wasn't effected by their attack - no ship-wide network to cripple.
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

goldcylon1
First Centurion

Post by goldcylon1 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:17 pm

Well with hand signals the cylons would not be hacked !!!! It really is a direct communication. You can see how the one centurion was receiving his instructions via a internal ear piece lol :cylongold:
Goldcylon@cox.net

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:35 pm

Visual eye candy goes a long way when watching a TV show. Over all I think they did use current Military ops hand calls when quiet is needed, or when the sound like the crowd or planes are too loud to hear any other communications. :cylongold:

goldcylon1
First Centurion

Post by goldcylon1 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:04 am

GC great point the "noise" was probably the reason for the use of hand signals :cylongold:
Goldcylon@cox.net

Return to “Caprica General Discussion”