Wikipedia is run by pinheads

This is a section of the forum to say what is on your mind. Make us aware of things going on in your area, or praise or warn of sellers, etc.
Hope It Is The Grog
Squadron Leader

Wikipedia is run by pinheads

Post by Hope It Is The Grog » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:08 am

I spent many, many hours last year editing some of the individual Wikipedia articles on Battlestar Galactica (1978) episodes. Now this year I find some know-it-all has deleted all the individual episode pages. What is the point? Those were pretty informative, at their best.

Barman, a boozon of your strongest grog, please.

"I may move to the command chamber. I'm sure they're talking about me while I'm in here."
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sufferin ... 2291161676

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Re: Wikipedia is run by pinheads

Post by Cylon-Knight » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:58 pm

:frack:
GONE?! Insane.

Just recreate the info here - at ByYourCommand.net which is run by tinheads :P
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Hope It Is The Grog
Squadron Leader

Post by Hope It Is The Grog » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:27 pm

Cylon-Knight wrote::frack:
GONE?! Insane.

Just recreate the info here - at ByYourCommand.net which is run by tinheads :P
:bsglol:

Well, there's always the Battlestar Wiki.
"I may move to the command chamber. I'm sure they're talking about me while I'm in here."

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:53 am

...yeah... there is "them" ... and there is US :tank:
:evillaugh:

Hope It Is The Grog
Squadron Leader

Post by Hope It Is The Grog » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:03 am

Most of what I was doing was tweaking here, abbreviating there, elaborating here, footnoting there. Wish I could have saved the entire articles, but who knew some gallmonging daggit was going to delete them all? It's not as if the information were duplicative of anything. So much for the pursuit of knowledge.
:soapbox:

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:50 am

Really that is one of the things I don't like about Wikipedia that anyone that is a paid subscriber can edit, and say whatever they like.

Hope It Is The Grog
Squadron Leader

Post by Hope It Is The Grog » Sun May 24, 2015 10:13 pm

Hey, somebody at Project Gutenberg saved the articles! The footnotes are gone, but the text and internal links are there. For example:

http://self.gutenberg.org/articles/Gun_ ... lanet_Zero

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Post by 137th Gebirg » Mon May 25, 2015 9:34 am

Many years ago, when I built my rank devices chart for the new series, I broke up the individual designs and uploaded them all to Battlestar Wiki with annotations. Same thing happened - someone deleted them all because some of them were considered apocryphal (like Ensign and the Warrant Officers/Lt Colonels) and had no specific citations. What made matters worse were that the costuming department confused some of the devices for some of the characters, so that annotations from some episodes were contradicted by others. All that work gone in seconds (even the devices for whom those ranks were confirmed), so I never tried again. Yes, the wiki is extremely frustrating in general. Its greatest strength, in the form of open community contribution, is also its greatest weakness.
I may appear unoccupied to you, but at the molecular level, I'm really quite busy.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:02 pm

Your work to me has always been a passion of love with filling in gaps on items you might not have all the answers and very well done. You even go back and update parts when new information comes your way. I personally glad you are here to share that art you create.
Image :cylongold: :cylongold: :cylongold:

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:42 pm

I agree with GoldCylon, 137th Gebirg. Your dedication to your images for BSG is *WOW*

I'll say it again :) 137th Gebirg, If you'd like to post up some threads I could sticky and lock them in the nuBSG forum- or I could create "pages" (like About Us | Map | Links at the top of the page ^). ByYourCommand.net would be happy to hold any "wiki-ish" items you'd like to put up on the nuBSG rank devices or other BSG images. Or there is our every growing and totally AMAZING Gallery that Red Eye expertly tends to.

And you won't have to worry, eternal order and perfection is the goal of the Cylon Empire... nothing will be removed ever.
No pinheads just tin heads. ;)
:byyourcommand:

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Post by 137th Gebirg » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:49 pm

Thanks very kindly, all. Much appreciated. :salute:

I am gratified and humbled that people found both use and enjoyment from the effort. I must admit, I miss those days, where it was all fresh and new, and the challenge was finding that one frame that opened up a whole new possibility to document on the charts. I hope one day we see the like again.

I suppose I could create some new fresh reference threads so they can be pinned for posterity, or look for the originals and bounce them to the top, with the admin's approval of course (some BBS's frown upon resurrecting "necro'd" threads like that). I have a metric ton of TOS stuff that I've done over the years as well. Just need to get all the resources together.
I may appear unoccupied to you, but at the molecular level, I'm really quite busy.

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Post by 137th Gebirg » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:48 am

ALCON:

Where would be the best place to put the reference threads? Would a new sub-forum be appropriate, dedicated to prop/costume/miniature references? TOS vs NuBSG? My diagrams and schematics span all these combinations and spreading them out over multiple locations may get confusing and get them lost. I know there are other sub-forums that may work, but I would envision something that is specifically dedicated to the technical aspects of making both versions of the show. Others could submit blueprints or other set design things they've acquired over the years - Propworx had a bunch of things like that.

If not, where would be the appropriate location to put these things?

Just want to make sure before I start posting. Thx much!

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:38 pm

How about a new forum, and sub forums for each show such as:

CLASSIC BATTLESTAR GALACTICA
> Centurion Builders' Forum
> [other costumes, etc.]
> The 137th Wiki: Battlestar Galactica (1978)
  • Rank / Costume Elements
    • Military decorations
    • Dress Uniforms
  • Ships
    • Vipers
    • Raiders
  • etc.
REIMAGINED BATTLESTAR GALACTICA
> The 137th Wiki: Battlestar Galactica (2003 Mini/2004 Series)
  • Rank / Costume Elements
    • Military decorations
    • Dress Uniforms
  • Ships
    • Vipers
    • Raiders
  • etc.
I want to keep info on each show inside our existing major groupings so at the main page you don't have to dig for the same show in different areas. To Keep your wiki all connected and fluid you could cross link individual threads to their TOS / nuBSG counterpart threads. There will be some overlap with other areas, such as the Raider Resource, but that's okay. Better too much geeking out than not enough ;)

Sound cool?

"The 137th Wiki"
Do you like that? Sounds neat to me :) Thinking of a big military type logo.

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Post by 137th Gebirg » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:02 am

Oooh! Me likey! :D I'll have to come up with a logo for it. Have to think about that one. In the meantime, I'll get my stuff together this weekend and start getting things loaded up.

Thanks very much!

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:27 pm

The forums are created... and will grow as needed... we just need some topics! ;)
:byyourcommand:

Return to “Rant and Rave”