1978 Monogram & 2007 Revell comparison (many photos!)

Cylon Ships - a Raider Resource. Model builds and ship info.
Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

1978 Monogram & 2007 Revell comparison (many photos!)

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:31 pm

A photo essay of the original and a re-release side by side. 2007 kit will be on the left - 1978 photos on the right.

ImageImage
The two kits, side by side. You can see how the new one has a much taller box.

ImageImage
Left: 2007 top. Right: 1978. Identical except for the addition of two flares on the engines.

ImageImage
The bottom halves. They are the same except for the copyright notices.

ImageImage
Left: 2007 stand still in the plastic. Right the parts for the 1978 stand.

ImageImage
Left: 2007 engine vent. Right 1978 engine vents and other parts.

ImageImage
Left: 2007 parts. Right: 1978 parts. I am missing three parts from my 1978 kit. 1. A square engine block. 2. A rubber band. 3. A tiny little block with a notch in it (an internal piece to the missile launcher mechanism).

ImageImage
Left: Other side of the above 2007 parts. Right: Photo of the two missile ends that my 1978 kit had glued in when I bought it.

ImageImage
Left: More 2007 parts (Right is just a spacer that looks cool and keeps the photo essay "balanced" :wink:)

ImageImage
All new engine parts for 2007.

ImageImage
All new clear engine parts, to allow for internal lighting (the kit has no other parts or instructions than just "clear parts suitable for lighting."

ImageImage
Left: 2007 instruction booklet. Two sheets folded and inserted inside each other to form a book (no staples holding them together). Right: 1978 instructions. One big sheet that unfolds. Also, the 1978 decals.

ImageImage
2007 decals - came inside of the instruction book for protection. They also have this blue/green cover sheet.

ImageImage
2007 decals with the cover off.

ImageImage
2007 decals close up.

ImageImage
Close up of the new flares on the top half of the 2007 kit. They are for more support to the vents, and to close them off I'm guessing.

ImageImage
Left: 2007 with the vents in place so you can see what the new flare does. Right: Same setup with the 1978 parts. At first glance I thought, they looked better without the extra flare.

ImageImage
Left: 2007. Right: 1978 - second glance shows that maybe the new flare is a good thing. The inside of the vents have "junk" that takes away from the look.

ImageImage
Left: Close up of the 1978 copyright on the outside of the 2007 kit (That's no typo). The 1978 has no text on the outside - only the inside. Right: The two kits again, I'd better get to work on them, huh?

So, side-by-side... the two remain nearly identical.

1978 - had working missiles!

2007 - everything 1978 had - but has deleted missiles. Added much more detailed engine parts, clear parts for lighting, decals that better match screen used Raider markings (even has decals for black lines on the underside). Probably my favorite new parts are the "structure strips" - the bars with circles cut out of them next to the main laser cannons. A small item, but really helps the kit's overall final look.
Last edited by Cylon-Knight on Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:20 pm

I still have my original Raider from 78, and mine didn't have the firing missile. That is new to me to see that.
On an other note the new release was made using by far superior manufacturing equipment, and is/was able make better detailed parts than 30 years ago. A great side by side comparison. Thanks for taking the time to post this.

SiR-ROUND

Post by SiR-ROUND » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:58 am

Thanks for the comparison.

Som pics don't seem to load for me though?

Mkay, the revamped version is the one to have.

Cheers!

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:58 pm

There are 29 photos in my esay, and a few Cylon logos floating around... they are all posted and work for me. Odd, maybe just stalled out loading?

Yep, for quality, the new kit is a tad more detailed and has the lighting option built in. And next to a mint 1978 kit, it would way cheaper. My 1978 was as you see it, box all worn and the kit started, and missing a few parts.

FYI my cost for just the kits (no glue, putty, paint - all that):
I paid $19.99 +tax for the 2007 kit.
I paid $15.00 +tax (taked down from $20.00 asking price as it was missing parts) for my 1978 kit.

SiR-ROUND

Post by SiR-ROUND » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:42 am

I'm an @$$...
Right is just a spacer that looks cool and keeps the photo essay "balanced"
My excuse is that I was sick the last couple of days...

:roll:

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:33 pm

SiR-ROUND, I hope you're feeling better!

I was looking over the new kit again, and have a good update - the decals DID NOT have flaws, I could rub off the white spots that I had noted before... they were just really stubborn spots of something. I updated the caption as to not rip on Revell :lol: The kit is awesome.

SiR-ROUND

Post by SiR-ROUND » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:51 am

Cheers!

Good news. So remakes can be good. A shame that doesn't count for TV shows and movies as well...

:lol:

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:54 pm

GoldCylon wrote:I still have my original Raider from 78, and mine didn't have the firing missile. That is new to me to see that.
GoldCylon, I noticed the other day when I started my 2007 Revell Raider Build that the new kit has a few 1978 throw backs.

The Main Engine End Caps still have the hole for where the missiles would load/fire in a 1978 Raider. Also, Page 5 of the 2007 instructions clearly have a 1978 illustration with the "old" engine parts in place.

Nothing "earth shattering" but I'll have to close up the holes for the missiles or the lighting from my engines will 'leak out' of them. Thinking I'll glue some black pen caps on the inside - to give the appearance of internal missile bays.

Return to “Cylon Ships - a Raider Resource”