Tejanovader's Build

The models you built, and studio scaled miniatures
tejanovader
Phalanx Leader

Tejanovader's Build

Post by tejanovader » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:12 pm

I guess this will be the first entry of my Raider and Basestar Build.

:cylon: So far, no parts have been assembled. The kits are the Revell 30th Anniversary Cylon Raider and Base Star kits. At this point there is test fitting, study and creating a plan for construction. :cylon:

Maybe it's just me, but watching a season of Caprica and comparing it to the Classic Cylon footage on RAZOR is making me ready to see some good old rebellion by the toasters!

GoldCylon
Founder

Re: Tejanovader's Build

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:09 pm

If you watch Mission Galactica:The Cylon Attack it has some of the best ever film footage that doesn't have the Raiders flying in front of it. Razor isn't bad either, but it doesn't have close up detailed shots, but it has the HD version that can be blown up.

tejanovader
Phalanx Leader

Post by tejanovader » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:47 pm

:cylon:

I forgot actually how beautiful the raider looks. The first time I built it was back in 1978 and I was just a kid. I kinda thought back then the raider was too beautiful a craft to be used by the bad guys, ha ha!

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:41 pm

The biggest issue I've had for mine so far is putting the glue on the top and bottom hulls... SO MUCH GLUE to put on... and so little time for it to get all gooey and messy :)

Post up some pics and let us know how you are doing. Any plans for lights? Engines? Forward "running lights"? etc.
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

tejanovader
Phalanx Leader

Post by tejanovader » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:04 pm

:cylon: Originally, No on any lights. But, I have to say, seeing that it has been done and how it has been done here gives me hope.

I will begin posting sometime next week. I want to live through Easter at the moment. ha ha..... :cylon:

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:54 pm

I bought a lit original baseship some 4-5 years ago. I was bidding on the Galactica, and Baseship combo, and I was runner up. The winner sent me a message asking if I wanted to buy the Cylon ship at X amount. That was cool he did that, and it was a fair price on the deal, so I have a fiber optic lit Baseship now. Looks awesome at night when lit up. I'll dig it up, and take a few photos to post.

tejanovader
Phalanx Leader

Post by tejanovader » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:20 pm

I am looking forward to seeing that base ship, Gold Cylon. Thanks to everyone for being so welcoming.....

MODERATORS!! I realize I have started this post in the wrong forum! Can you either move this topic over to MODELS AND FILMING MINIATURES, or just delete and I will start over. Thanks.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:10 pm

tejanovader wrote: MODERATORS!! I realize I have started this post in the wrong forum! Can you either move this topic over to MODELS AND FILMING MINIATURES, or just delete and I will start over. Thanks.
I've moved the thread... now, time for you to build! :)
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

tejanovader
Phalanx Leader

Post by tejanovader » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:24 pm

:cylon: BY YOUR COMMAND :cylon:

tejanovader
Phalanx Leader

Post by tejanovader » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:26 pm

:cylon: Although I do not have pics yet, progress has been this:
I gave the upper and lower halves of my Raider a white primer coat. I am also weighing my options here. In the limited research I have done on the look of the hull, I have seen raiders that are pretty much just...gray. I have also seen raiders that are very colorful and vibrant. Some give somewhat of the aztec design to the hull; some are Ducks Egg Blue, etc., etc. There are varying degrees of accurate builds that differ! WHOA BOY!! What to do?!?!
I think that after all of the input, I want to go for a subtle homage to the RAZOR flavor of coloring the raider, but very tempered with the classic BSG "same grayness all over"
I cannot quite describe it at the moment, but I will make some drawings to demonstrate my point. As for lighting, I think I want to attempt that as well, since there is a lot of valuable resource out there (and here on the site) that is very helpful.
At this point, I am simply staring at the hull and soaking in the details to plan what can be done. :cylon:

tejanovader
Phalanx Leader

Post by tejanovader » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:05 pm

http://tejanovader.carsthetoys.yuku.com ... fid/240691

Ok...learning how to post pics! Here is the beginning of my process. Simple white primer coat. I want to try to run this image through some photo software to design the look before I commit anything to paint.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:15 pm

I haven't seen this movie, but I always thought the cars looked way cool. I guess I need to get this and watch it. I need to see what some of these things are.

tejanovader
Phalanx Leader

Post by tejanovader » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:52 pm

http://tejanovader.carsthetoys.yuku.com ... fid/240704

:cylon: I don't claim to have any authoritaive knowledge of the color scheme of a Raider. For me, this basic color plan looks pleasing. The difference in grays is to be subtle. Certain components were simply darker gray. I liked that look very much. The after burners being a dark, blackish kind of gray gives visual appeal to me as well. The gold fan exhausts is a nice touch also.

Again, for me, the classic design with some more informed coloring from the updated RAZOR version is a nice mix. I think that to bring out the marked panelling, more of a powdered whethering is more appropriate.
I don't have an answer yet for this one, but instead of some mutation of the "AZTEC" type of technique to bring out detail (most notably "Enterprise" like), I think some type of overall texturing underneath will give the desired CGI/realistic look.

At this point, I haven't laid out a plan for lighting. I simply haven't gotten that far. :cylon:

tejanovader
Phalanx Leader

Post by tejanovader » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:31 pm

:cylon: Spent time this morning simply studying the detail in the Basestar. Does anyone know if the classic basestar had independently rotating halves like the reimagined ones did? :cylon:

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:38 pm

The original Baseship didn't have the rotating axes like that was shown in "The Plan" on the new Galactica.

Return to “Models and Filming Miniatures”