Tejanovader's Build

The models you built, and studio scaled miniatures
GoldCylon
Founder

Re: Tejanovader's Build

Post by GoldCylon » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:40 am

Looks very Cylon worth. Awesome work, now get a couple of tin can's together, and lets go boink a few of those rag tag fleet guys. :cylongold:

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:41 am

Very nice!

It's going to be a cool looking Raider! :cylon:
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

tejanovader
Phalanx Leader

Post by tejanovader » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:57 am

Cylon-Knight wrote:AWESOME Paint! ... But where is the bottom half of your ship!? :shock: lol
:cylon: Yah... I need to display the work on the bottom half. (LoL)....

Sometime when I get a chance I want to ask y'alls opinions on what works best. (for example, I am going with Bright Blue LED's for the propulsion units and yellow or red lights in the front. What seems to work best in regards to mounting, etc......?)

I have been reluctant to attach the cockpit cover at this point because I have an idea and want to see if it flies. I have the idea of molding the cockpit cover in clear resin. Painting the cross bars as I have the rest of the Raider and then taking simple and thin styrene strips, painting them the appropriate black and setting them just on top of the (for lack of a better term) blinds. I believe this will allow the light used by the thrusters to bleed through and give a "ooh...there is something inside there" kind of effect. I would go to the trouble of making it to where you could maybe make out a Cylon crew, but at this point I am not sure if I am biting off more than I can chew and ....more importantly....would it be worth the effort?

Thanks for the encouraging words on the work so far.

By Your Command.... :cylon:

dbhs
Raider Commander

Post by dbhs » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:39 pm

This is looking very good. It will be great to see it completed with the lower half in place. How will you finish the joints with the paint complete. Some of it will be easy but around the engines may be tricky. The lighting will look good. I like your idea of adding louvers on a clear canopy. I tried to build a scratch canopy and it was very frustrating. The geometry is very complicated to make from scratch. Overlaying louvers on a clear under-frame sounds like a very smart way to do it. At least worth a try.

tejanovader
Phalanx Leader

Post by tejanovader » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:53 am

O.k. There we go.....
Attachments
FILE0038.JPG
Underside has first layering of weathering.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:10 am

Green bars?? I've not seen that before. Did you find a Classic BSG reference for that?
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:17 am

Would either, or both tejanovader or dbhs interested in displaying your Cylon Raiders at Comic Con this going up July. Those would be great items to show off.

tejanovader
Phalanx Leader

Post by tejanovader » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:27 pm

:cylon:
Cylon Knight! Wow! You don't miss a thing! Actually, that is modelling mask. I intend to paint a darker shade of dingy grey in that area and did not want to paint over the bar area. More of subtle hues of grey type stuff. So the green will be pulled away once the weather cooperates here in Texas and I can get outside to paint.....

Gold Cylon! Uh...yes...sure! Now I have a deadline to work for. If you guys, who I would consider to be fairly discerning about Raiders, think it is worthy, I am happy to send it to the show. We obviously have some time and can talk more about this later, eh?

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:19 pm

tejanovader wrote::cylon:

Gold Cylon! Uh...yes...sure! Now I have a deadline to work for. If you guys, who I would consider to be fairly discerning about Raiders, think it is worthy, I am happy to send it to the show. We obviously have some time and can talk more about this later, eh?
Glad you have jumped on board, and yes a little bit of time. I would like to have it at least a day or two before I leave to the show. Not a big hurry yet. Thanks.

OK any takers on building a Baseship?

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:50 pm

Cylon Knight! Wow! You don't miss a thing! Actually, that is modelling mask. I intend to paint a darker shade of dingy grey in that area and did not want to paint over the bar area. More of subtle hues of grey type stuff. So the green will be pulled away once the weather cooperates here in Texas and I can get outside to paint.....
Heehee... my Cylon eye is always watching ;)
I hear you about the weather - I just shoveled another 6 inches of the white stuff tonight... ugh. Last time I tried to work on my Raider it was raining. ALWAYS SOMETHING! :)

Keep us posted on your build, with your talent it is going to ROCK!

Will your Raider have the power source inside? or outside? of the ship?

tejanovader
Phalanx Leader

Post by tejanovader » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:16 am

In all honesty, I am working on a Basestar build, but I do not believe I would have it at display readiness....maybe the next one, eh?

If I haven't mentioned it before, I use "Weather System" for the weathering details. It is not nearly as time intensive as going to the trouble of detail spray painting. No smells, no mixing; none of the worries or headaches that come along with prep and safety. The look is great and the idea is that as you rub in the very fine powder, the mere friction of rubbing in the powder causes it's own adhesion. I am told a light spray of dull cote seals it in for good.

Not only for the Raider, but I am using this on my Basestar build (pics later). I have started with the bottom saucer first to see how the weather system looks best. So many little crevices means soo much detailing! I am also learning about use of fiber optics. As of yet, I know little, but the reading is fascinating and I know a dealer who is helping me with another modeling project. His help is wonderful!! So, once I have the tools, I plan to apply that to my Basestar. I am planning to do a composite look with my project. i.e., a mix of the look of the old series and "Razor". It probably won't conform exactly to a BG resource, but my hope is that it gives an alternative modeling choice that satisfies. Mostly, I really want to light the top, have a few directional lights illuminating various ereas, and give it some interest I feel it otherwise didn't have until "Razor". Evil should simply have more interesting lighting.
===

In looking around at other Raiders, I am falling more in love with the various shades of color to bring out panels. I wish I had done more of that process before now. My only contribution would be to have the panel idea and then give a nice overlay of grey to make it more of a subtle look.

I am probably not the most disciplined toaster on the board, so I have not referenced any official BG resources. I have essentially looked at a few of the studio scale builds and other peoples projects. I like the panel/aztec idea very much. To me, one coat of a "flat" robs me of the joy of detailing and makes the build look immature somehow. IMHO, this craft draws from real warcraft of earth history and deserves that kind of "Fine Scale Modeler" attention.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:22 am

I like the panel/aztec idea very much. To me, one coat of a "flat" robs me of the joy of detailing and makes the build look immature somehow. IMHO, this craft draws from real warcraft of earth history and deserves that kind of "Fine Scale Modeler" attention.
YES! Exactly.
Well said tejanovader

dbhs
Raider Commander

Post by dbhs » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:43 am

I agree - subtle, real world detailing and weathering makes the sci-fi subjects that much more real. It's easier said than done and achieving that is always the struggle.

Unfortunately I have no plans to go to WF this year. It's a long haul for me, being in California, especially dragging fragile models with me. Wish we had a west coast equivalent out here.

tejanovader
Phalanx Leader

Post by tejanovader » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:41 pm

Hey ho!

I haven't posted in awhile, but I have not been away. I want to post some new pics of my Raider build by the end of the week. But for now, here is the schematic of what is going into my raider..

The lone blue 5mm LED is for the cockpit area. That will be cast in clear resin per my original plan.
Attachments
CYLON RAIDER Wiring Diagram.JPG
This is the diagram of my LED circuit set up.

tejanovader
Phalanx Leader

Post by tejanovader » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:58 pm

10 mm's are for the propulsion units.

Just because I wanted the look, with no basis in BSG tradition, I drilled into the front grill plate and made an array of greenish/red lighting. So the green and red LED's make that happen. The orange LEDS are for the lighted points on the grill (which I have seen in various pictures).

Return to “Models and Filming Miniatures”