Tejanovader's Build

The models you built, and studio scaled miniatures
tejanovader
Phalanx Leader

Re: Tejanovader's Build

Post by tejanovader » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:58 am

:cylon: Hey, thanks a million guys!

I appreciate the links very much. You guys are the most helpful EVIL EMPIRE ever! I obviously did not know where to look, so thanks for the shove in the right direction. It is obvious I have lots of study to do in order to do justice to the kit. I have a couple of questions and will look around the site, but I have a few questions in light of this info:

I will be looking around the web, but just off the top of your heads, is fiber optic cable still a fairly common commodity to find?

What exactly is APOGEE? Some sort of modelling group? Is it the group that built the basestar for the minisode? Is it a company that somehow re-tooled the new kit? (Trying to find....)

Anyway, thanks. I will post some pics soon.....

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:34 am

Apogee was a special effects company created by John Dykstra. They did work for Battlestar.

Highlights from the source link below:
[John Dykstra was the] 1977
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:49 am

GoldCylon wrote:Gary keeps the photos he takes on purpose at a distance to keep things a secret. Photos like I have posted show more detail and information than he will post.
That's sad. If a person won't post up detailed photos of a "screen used" item, then I have a hard time believing it is screen used. Maybe in their own home movies it is screen used... :roll:

What is there to keep secret? If it is screen used - it is screen used... no photo will change that. Perhaps it is not screen used, is the secret to keep.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:19 pm

Cylon-Knight wrote:
GoldCylon wrote:Gary keeps the photos he takes on purpose at a distance to keep things a secret. Photos like I have posted show more detail and information than he will post.
That's sad. If a person won't post up detailed photos of a "screen used" item, then I have a hard time believing it is screen used. Maybe in their own home movies it is screen used... :roll:

What is there to keep secret? If it is screen used - it is screen used... no photo will change that. Perhaps it is not screen used, is the secret to keep.
It preserves the allure of wanting more. Once you have want you desire you won't strive for it anymore. Thus it brings more value to the item when kept in short supply. A$$et$

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:15 pm

GoldCylon wrote:It preserves the allure of wanting more. Once you have want you desire you won't strive for it anymore. Thus it brings more value to the item when kept in short supply. A$$et$
Well the value of any screen used item is based on the fact it is screen used - and popularity of the show/movie in culture. Someone will pay more for Dorothy's Ruby Slippers from The Wizard of Oz than Val's shoes from Tremors. (WHO IS VAL?... exactly). A few more photos of an item could only help to increase demand for that item if it were to be sold.

If some private owner is unwilling to provide photos of some cherished screen used item they paid A LOT for to a few other hard core fans, that to me, is odd. There is "allure" yes, but there are smoke and mirrors too. I am wary about most screen used items, such a term can get out of hand quickly. It is like

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:50 pm

If you have the money to buy the item, a photo doesn't mean much as it will be yours to more than just see, but to do as you please with. You take all the photos in to the world to please your personal desire, but a photo doesn't sway your desire to own it or buy it. You as a buyer already know what it is, and what it looks like, but as for Oz shoes everyone already knows what they look like, but food for the prospective buyers. Just about everything about those shoes that can be know is easy to find on the web, but the same exacting details besides a few photos of the build isn't easy to find on these ships. Yes you can contact others that have made this ship for their personal collections, or even to sell off but no can 100% ID every single part that was used on the Galactica. I think a 100% ID has been done on the Basestar, but if it is given ID it still isn't the real deal.

tejanovader
Phalanx Leader

Post by tejanovader » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:01 am

:cylon: I don't want to seem lazy here, but I did have a thought.....

Since I currently have no lighting (fiber optics, LED's, whatever) resources on hand, I was doing a test pic with where I would like lighting to be. Then it hit me! At least while I am organizing all of the lighting, I can keep my basestar model unglued and make some fun Battle Star Story type pics.....like....
FILE0831 with lights.jpg
(I hope the lights come through) Seems like I can have some fun making my own production pics...eh? :cylon:

tejanovader
Phalanx Leader

Post by tejanovader » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:02 am

:cylon: I did spray paint the bottom half of the base star and I have also been working on my Raider. Pics later tonight.... :cylon:

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:31 pm

Looks kinda cool, but is that a band saw in the living room?

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:50 pm

Looks good! Can't wait to see more.

tejanovader
Phalanx Leader

Post by tejanovader » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:53 pm

:cylon: Yes. It is a band saw. I actually bought that saw with the sale of my "Bessie, The Road Paver" (Pixar Cars). My "Modelers Studio" is living on the dining table until I can do some remodelling in either the garage or the extra bed room, (when the kid moves out). The band saw has been incredibly helpful in making the new version of Bessie. My wife is extremely wonderful..... :cylon:

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:00 pm

Cylon-Knight wrote:
I doubt John was involved in the Basestars that appear in the new SciFi Channel Battlestar Galactica. They had thier own team of effects workers, and chances are there was no physical Basestar in Razor - all CGI. The BSG Mini Series had a model of a Classic Basestar in the hanger museum... but it was probably just a quick build that isn't that accurate to the original 1978 ship (just me guessing).
Nothing real was used in the mini series, or the series. It was all CG that was in the hanger bay museum area.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:02 pm

GoldCylon wrote: Nothing real was used in the mini series, or the series. It was all CG that was in the hanger bay museum area.
I think they had to have some props in there... Wasn't the Krop suit pictured in the museum sold recently as screen used?

dbhs
Raider Commander

Post by dbhs » Sat May 01, 2010 11:45 am

I thought that the overall shots were CGI but the closeups of the models in the display cases were real models.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sat May 01, 2010 12:02 pm

dbhs wrote:I thought that the overall shots were CGI but the closeups of the models in the display cases were real models.
Was there a close up of the ships in a case? I don't recall that. If so those could have been models, but I haven't to date seen a full sized 1:1 replica of the Baseship. I know one is being built, but it is a project that has been under way a few years, and last time I heard it still wasn't finished, but anyway the mini series was filmed in 2003 long before a model of studio scale sized had been built, so that just helps back up the CG reference. Also in 2003 the real filming Baseship was still in the lost in trash state till it made it way out of some guys garage in 2005 and now sits besides the Galactica.

Return to “Models and Filming Miniatures”