1/2 Studio Scale Galactica Build

The models you built, and studio scaled miniatures
137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

1/2 Studio Scale Galactica Build

Post by 137th Gebirg » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:44 am

Hey all! Decided to throw my build out there for all to see. It's going pretty well so far. Pieces generally fitting together nicely. I created a new sub-page off my main site that's dedicated to this. Enjoy!

http://www.shipschematics.net/bsg_build/

I may appear unoccupied to you, but at the molecular level, I'm really quite busy.

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin
It’s my birthday

Re: 1/2 Studio Scale Galactica Build

Post by Red Eye » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:51 pm

:loveit:

Great work so far.
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:23 pm

Is this the 37 inch kit Mike is/was selling. Looks great so far. Sorry if you answered that question on your page. I am on my cell and read the text.
Image :cylongold: :cylongold: :cylongold:

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Post by 137th Gebirg » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:35 pm

Yep, that's the one. It really is an amazing kit - can't say enough nice things about it.
I may appear unoccupied to you, but at the molecular level, I'm really quite busy.

robiwon
Centurion

Post by robiwon » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:13 pm

Looking forward to more updates!

MARK M
Centurion

Post by MARK M » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:37 pm

I have to get one of these...

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Post by 137th Gebirg » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:29 am

robiwon wrote:Looking forward to more updates!
Thanks much! :smile:
Unfortunately, it may be a while before I can get back to this. I have 3 bathrooms that are in various states of needing to be remodelled and a new roof to put on my shed. I really want to get back to the Galactica but these things kind of snuck up on my and my cycles are sadly redistributed. I will mention new updates here in this thread.

robiwon
Centurion

Post by robiwon » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:37 pm

Well, that's sorta an update! :sunglasses:

dbhs
Raider Commander

Post by dbhs » Tue May 06, 2014 3:10 pm

I really like how you handled the internal framework and support. So critical on a big resin model like this. I think it's time well spent to ensure fewer problems down the road.

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Post by 137th Gebirg » Fri May 09, 2014 8:58 am

Thanks very much - I agree - doing something like this now will be much easier than later, when all the other more fragile electronics get installed. Since Mike has really done most of the work for us with regard to surface detail on this amazing kit, I focused more on the internal engineering of the kit, to make it as resilliant as possible. I must admit, I jumped the gun on starting the fiber optics in the the head, though. I was planning on building in styrene blocks into the upper half so that I could use them as backing for screws to attach the lower half to it without glueing (going to be doing this for the entire model). In fact, the only glue I've used is on the engine box in the rear, attaching the greebles and the shuttle bay arms where they attach to the body - everything else is bolted or screwed together for rapid emergency disassembling, if necessary. Unfortunately, I've already put in all the fiber up front (where the bulk of the lighting is) and I forgot to put that bit of engineering in there ahead of time. I will need to be careful now, as the fiber is glued into the hull, and is a bit rigid and can break if knocked. I've already had to redo a few strands. Might have to reenforce them with rubber cement to allow for some flexibility further away from the inner hull to prevent additional breakage.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri May 09, 2014 9:17 am

It is looking great Jim. :cylongold:

Return to “Models and Filming Miniatures”