Squadron Leader

Re: The Cylon Battlestar: Annihilation

Post by rustycylon » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:26 am

good work :cylon:

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:27 pm

Thanks Red Eye, GoldCylon and rustycylon - glad you like! :)

Here is another small update:
Redid the outside arms in cardboard now and they improved over my paper ones... more screen accurate where they end.
(Talking about the edge near the 26 on the ruler is "better." For some reason on my paper arms that edge was VERY stubby.)
The center arm (in the center of the photo) is still in the works. Right now I have an angle that is crazy wrong, once I get the other arms and the flight pod together I can figure out the center arm.

The bit that starts the connection to the engines, redone in cardboard. Nice and strong.

And here is my mess, and the section neck is on the right. New and improved in cardboard as well.
The white areas are still cardboard, not typing paper. Just had some white cardboard from various boxes everyone is saving up for me. Big shout out to Brother Cylon-Knight for restocking me I was about on a produciton freeze for lack of cardboard! :shock: But it is all cool now - will work on it more tonight. :sunglasses:
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:37 pm

So after this is all framed out, what are you going to do for detailing.

Great work, and thanks to brother Cylon-Knight. :cylongold: :salute: :cylongold:

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:44 pm

After the cardboard is all framed out and the sizes figured out I'll redo it again in sheet plastic. Then that will be detailed with "stuff" like the original Galactica. I may use a few screen accurate parts, but due to the high CO$T of such parts only a few of the most iconic ones (like the bridge I am thinking). The rest will just be random stuff I find that looks cool from model kits and such - just like they did on the original. They didn't have a road map - just went driving around ;) lol

Here is some more work - and yes Brother Cylon-Knight's Miller Lite box helped out! (My Pepsi 2 liters are not much help to a Battlestar :roll:)

Here is my "Master" engine section cross member all drawn up. Ugh ... MATH

Here is the engine section reborn in cardboard. To the left you can see the paper one.
The Bottom and four basic walls all ready to close up.

I added this support to one of the corners. For a bit more strength where it counts.
I will also add many cross member supports inside too. As Mrs. Cylon-Knight pointed out, cardboard will still just sink in over time, just like the paper one did.

Here are the walls folded up
(Nothing taped closed yet... I'm about out of tape :censored: )

And here it is with the top just sitting in place as best as I could with nothing taped and one hand. lol

The Annihilation is moving right along. Beware Colonials!

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:54 pm

I have a few models I have bought to be used to make screen accurate filming models. I am sure the spare parts left over were used on the Galactica, or at least can be used on your build. When you get close to that stage I'll send off a sandwich bag of goodies to you.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:02 pm

AWESOME!
Thank you so much. :D

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:06 pm

I just a pic of a few of the models. It will give you an idea what I have. Image
Image :cylongold: :cylongold: :cylongold:

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:41 am

Wow, there's so much to look at!

Great updates again!

:loveit: :loveit: :loveit:
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

rustycylon
Squadron Leader

Post by rustycylon » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:29 pm

good progress on your battlestar. :cylon:

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:19 pm

Thanks guys, and those are some of "the kits" needed for a 1:1 Galactica, right on GoldCylon :) Any parts you can donate to help the Annihilation would be wonderful!

:P Here is another update:
This was a few weeks ago, jumping around on when I have time for the build (work, Holidays, etc. - where is the hobby love? lol).
Here you can see the engine section about done in cardboard. I was puzzled at this point but finally I figured out one small item that was tripping me up.

Top: Phase 1 engines out of paper, that I gave up on.
Bottom: Phase 2 engines out of cardboard. Rock n roll.

The last major section is the front/head part. I have a working version ready for some photos.
Above is the underside of the front/head.

I never did a paper study on this. It's just too big and paper would be a headache, flex too much.
So, I'll be working all the bugs out in cardboard. So far I have a good start (I think).
Staring on the right side, then I'll just copy it to the left.

Remember, I am just working off the one drawing and various photos from the web from time-to-time. I am just a poor Cylon in a Colonial world. ;)

And here is the top side of the head. The "curve" and side edge are just rough. I have measurements in place for the trenches on the sides, but need to get the main panels in order yet. Then I can go and put in the trenches. For me, they are rather easy to add later vs. the overall shape.

BY YOUR COMMAND! Here is the Annihilation as of now, I JUST took these photos tonight while geeking out with a Battlestar in my living room! I placed a BSG Saga Of Star World DVD case by the ship for scale.

Yes, if you are paying attention there is only one flight pod still... missing some skin, and the center arm is only 1/2 done... Hey, I'm a bit lazy. Really I've not done the skin so I can ponder the cross brace to the other flight pod. Once the head is done then I'll make the other pod and go to work on the last bits under the main body. And the center arm is just a "B" until the pod / other arms are in place so I know what angle to make the sucker.

I also have an idea to make the Annihilation a bit more Cylon... I am pondering the use of the Cylon "vent" design element. (Centurion mouth, chest, and Raider canopy.) Where the bridge of the Battlestar goes, I want to try to include some Cylon-ish vents. But they'd have to be in scale to the size of the ship, etc. But wouldn't that be Cylon-ly COOL?! HA

Thanks for looking.
:byyourcommand:

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:39 pm

Fantastic work. I need to send you a coupon for your favorite cereal so you can re stock, and build the second landing bay. :cylongold:

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:21 am

Congrats on not having an headless Battlestar anymore!

LOOOOOOVE the updates! :cool:
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

rustycylon
Squadron Leader

Post by rustycylon » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:00 pm

very impressive work.

:cylon:

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:26 pm

Their are those that believe.
Image :cylongold: :cylongold: :cylongold:

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:18 pm

Glad you all like! :) :cylon: :cylon: :cylongold:

Here is the latest:
Here is the front inset.

And the back inset. CYLONS DO NOT LIKE INSETS! :? lol

Another angle.

So here is the front as it stands now. The two insets are planned out.
The shapes have paper sections/add ons to help figure out the shapes needed.
I realized the head has a slightly different angle in one spot, but I'm happy with it for now.
Unless I bother to address this when going to plastic - I am calling it a Cylon improvement!

My work area... what a nightmare, huh?! HA
You can see the total mistake of a coffin to the left of my computer screen... I worked and
worked and worked on it. Then I put it on the bottom of the main hull section and DANG
it was toooooooo wide. Plus it was about 3 times to tall I think. Lowly humans and their ships...
why can't they use circles like us Cylons?!

Here is the start of my improved coffin. Never mind the right side... *scribble* *scribble*
The dotted lines are the 2" pipe backbone that will be the ship's skeleton. And the cardboard
circle is the spot there the bottom pick point belongs.

To the left is the start of the other bit that goes right infront of the coffin a little tower that wraps
around the pipe.

So far, so good.
...OH... I *officially* spent money on my build too while I was working on the engine sections awhile back... I had to buy a new role of masking tape. :twisted:

Return to “Models and Filming Miniatures”