The Cylon Battlestar: Annihilation

The models you built, and studio scaled miniatures
GoldCylon
Founder

Re: The Cylon Battlestar: Annihilation

Post by GoldCylon » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:23 pm

Masking tape. The gold standard has been set. Looking great. I think I might Viper on over to see it.......give or take a few layers of resin. :lol:

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:11 am

Looks very professional!

Are you sure you haven't done something like that before?
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:55 pm

@GoldCylon - Vipers are welcome, well, what my one flight pod can land. ;)

@Red Eye - I've done many typical models and such from the store - glue and paint. The only scratch built items I've done before this were my Cylon-Knight Garrison Commander insignias. It is fun to try it, and learn as I go. BYC.net and SS Modelers are both a giant help to me!!!
(And I've not hurt, or cut myself -- no blood shed yet on the Battelstar build - WINNING! LOL)

I have a sister build thread over at the Studio Scale forum - where the hard core Battlestar builders are (I'm just a wanna-be). They noticed the slant I have off right away... I'll have to try and correct it when I build a second study of the head section.

And I'm starting to ponder the interior "guts" and supports. Like I said I've only done box kits... I never had to think of "guts" before. Ugh.

GroupLeader Zeta sent me a link to a place for some Fiber Optics. Thanks Zeta! That's one item off the check list. Hummm.... maybe Santa should bring me the fiber optics?! I have been a very good, bad Cylon this year!!! :D ;) :twisted:
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

sean
Flight Leader

Post by sean » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:08 pm

WOW! That looks fraking cool. great work my friend. can't wait till you have more done.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:33 pm

Thanks Sean! I'll keep you posted for sure. Hopefully I'll have more soon.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:19 pm

Annihilation UPDATE!

Second flight pod has been started.

Here is the "coffin" - Mark II. :oops: This is one tricky party (for me anyways - working off of photos and guessing at every measurement).

Secret weapon... shhhhh don't tell anyone!

Coffin roughly in place.

Here is a photo to get a rough idea of the 2" "pipe" (cardboard tube as of now) and how it will look. I still need to cut the holes in the coffin so it can all actually be assembled. I am still figuring out everything and how / where the pipe will enter the flight pods.

And again, the how the pipe will look going from the coffin out to the front of the ship.

Now for my new toy...
This is a little tool box Brother Cylon-Knight got me for Christmas with the express intent of using on my Battlestar build. It has MANY little storage bins.

Inside the top level are the smaller bins... I've filled them up with random model treasures. Nothing 1:1 for an authentic Battlestar in there. Remember my build is 1:1 in size and basic shape, the details will all be custom (i.e. CHEAP ;) )

The tool box opens up and in the lower level are larger bins. I've go them filled up too!

And here is a second tool box I've had for a long time. Some of the parts I have gotten are too large for my red tool box (like plane wings and trees that I have not taken all the parts off of yet go in here).

Parts... parts... parts...

And here is a part test! They are just sitting on the ship. Just day dreaming about how AWESOME the Annihilation will be one day. Colonials BEWARE!!!! :)

Red Eye
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:31 am

It's slowly coming together now. BRAVO!

Love your new toolbox, by the way. Hope you'd be able to fill it with more kit parts when the time's right...

Keep up the great work!!!
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:14 pm

Major headway and looks great.
Image :cylongold: :cylongold: :cylongold:

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sat May 24, 2014 9:47 pm

I started to rebuild the "head" section. Version 2.0 is looking much better so far. Photos to follow as soon as I have time to get them out of my phone.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Tue May 27, 2014 10:25 pm

Started the cross member items... still need to work on them more after reworking the "head" section.

Here is the ship as it stands... just a review photo.

Okay, so the "head" section was all sorts of wrong as I realized and discussed with others, it really needed an overhaul.
So - back to the drawing board.
Here is the new back being ironed out... I reverse engineered all new measurements for it.

And the front needed redone also.
I worked from past photos of the Original Galactica without the front cap on... VERY HANDY!

Fresh from the factory!

I flipped the part over and got quite a surprise!
Tony the Tiger being there was NOT planned... what a hoot. Cylon Battlestars are GRRRRREAT!

The old and the new side by side. The new one will have the trenches down the sides as it should.
(I skipped over them on version 1 trying to figure out the larger overall shape.)

The new bottom angled trenches going together. I reinforced these to be two layers of cardboard really.
I wanted to ensure that any flex is not going to put a wrench in the works.

And here is how they will fit.
Now, I did put them on and two more panels on each side... then I realized an error.
These parts angle from the large back to the small front (skip down two photos and you'll see the red lines & ruler and see what I mean).
SO - since these parts should angle I've cut each end square, they are perfect rectangles. OOPS!
I've slit the tape as needed and as I get the bigger sections in place I can go back and add the slight angles as needed so they have the correct look/fit.

TONY! Still makes me laugh. :lol:

So here is a good before and after.
Version 2 on the left. Version 1 on the right.
You can see how version 2 has the correct slight upward slope going on (about 10 degrees, I figure).
Version 1 had a totally flat bottom, and the top is way too "rampy," indeed!

It was getting LATE on me and I was tired. I decided that I needed to put in a mock skeleton to keep the head in shape.
I've roughly started that, then stopped.
If you look REALLY close you can see a white line at the front (where Tony the Tiger is). That's actually a model tree spru (spelling?).
I needed something STURDY to keep that Tony the Tiger front from bending and distorting the build. I Macgyver'd a bit off of the model
parts that I've been collecting to embellish the ship with. I was a Cylon without Popsicle sticks so I had to rig something up. ;)

Oh look... my Battlestar has a new little friend thanks to my Cylon brother, Groupleader Zeta! :)

...oh, I used Scotch tape for the first time now too... it's just as good or maybe a bit better for some things than masking tape. This clunky 1978 Cylon has put 2 and 2 together... and I got 22 :twisted:

Red Eye
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Wed May 28, 2014 5:56 am

Oh wow, what an update! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Glad to see that the Landram also found its way to Cylon-Knight's lair. :cool:

rustycylon
Squadron Leader

Post by rustycylon » Wed May 28, 2014 12:39 pm

coming along nicely :cylon:

Finster
Centurion

Post by Finster » Fri May 30, 2014 12:12 pm

Very Cool. Great reuse of materials. I love the shots of the inside showing the different cereal boxes, etc. I can just imagine:

Dad: "Kids, you need to finish your bran flakes so Daddy can use the box to finish his Battlestar"
Kids: "Aww, bran flakes are yucky! Get us some good cereal like Capt. Crunch!"
<build speed increases as kids munch through yummier cereals>

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:50 pm

Thanks Red Eye and Finster.

I was moving stuff around today and found a Battlestar - lol. I pondered the center support that runs from the underside up into the "head" section.
And thought I'd do a test...

Here you can see the mock up support tube - highlighted in yellow. So far so good, everything aligns correctly.
(I am just using a hollow wrapping paper tube for now with four pieces of tape to get an idea).

And just a little to the right of my Battlestar...

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:54 pm

Wrapping paper, and paper towel rolls will be the death of Colonials. :bsglol: :erk: :cylongold:

Return to “Models and Filming Miniatures”