Tejanovader's Re-imagined Galactica.....

The models you built, and studio scaled miniatures
tejanovader
Phalanx Leader

Tejanovader's Re-imagined Galactica.....

Post by tejanovader » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:48 pm

:cylon: Ok, so I want to light my Galactica.....and who wouldn't?!?!? I really hated the new design when I first saw it....but now.....I really like it. So, I am researching what lighted versions of the Moebius Model I can find. It seems to me the first and easiest mode of attack in accomplishing the goal is to work on the propulsion. Blue lights by my calculation.

The greatest challenge in any lighting endeavor is to not let light escape where it is not supposed to. Usually many and/or heavy layers of dark paint on the inside go a long way. Then a layer of a silver or even foil paper, if desired, can help in the illumination for the places where one does want light to escape. Here is a very preliminary lighting test using one of the upper propulsion units. The propulsion unit has an overall priming layer of base white, then applying layers of silver chrome over foil for the inside. There is still bleed through in the hull at this point.

I am curious to know thoughts about the front of the ship. The mid area seems to have a green hued and many port hole feature. Thoughts? I keep looking at screen caps and pic from this and various modelling sites. Any advice is welcome. :cylon:
Attachments
Prelim test.jpg
Prelim test.jpg (21.07 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
Prelim test.jpg
Prelim test.jpg (21.07 KiB) Viewed 1755 times

tejanovader
Phalanx Leader

Re: Tejanovader's Re-imagined Galactica.....

Post by tejanovader » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:22 pm

:cylon:
I have learned when I go to fan sites, I am probably not covering any new ground on any subject. However, if there is interest, here is a link to a YouTube listing of Moebius model kit builds by those folks who love to video tape their exploits...(I think they want to be the first host of a model kit assembly show or something...)

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... uSct_uSH-0

I like the MarkoRockVoice guys take on outer hull detailing. However, he didn't go the extra mile to light it. The Quaralane guy's videos are o.k. enough I guess, since he offers some great ideas on setting up the lighting, but not much attention is paid to the outer hull detail and his lighting solution for the head could have been better.....

Again, I am not saying anything new here. But suffice it to say that for any lighted space ship model, light leakage is the first and foremost problem to be addressed.....

:cylon:

tejanovader
Phalanx Leader

Re: Tejanovader's Re-imagined Galactica.....

Post by tejanovader » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:54 pm

:cylon: I have been working to set a lot of ground work on my re-imagined GALACTICA. I have yet to order the photo-etched kit from Paragraphix [http://www.paragrafix.biz/product_detai ... Num=PGX133], but it is without a doubt going to be included. The hull detailing will take it's inspiration from this Youtube video [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZMmOWSOWCY] although I have chosen for my build to be the PRE-battle damage version. So, it is still in major preparation of the parts before I even begin construction.
As far as lighting, I have started by creating my own lighting kit using simple and attainable parts from Radio Shack's electronic component shelf. Here is a photo of the rear propulsion unit being test fitted to eventually set in place.
Attachments
001 Pirmary Thruster.jpg
There are lots of ways to tackle lighting for this kit. The "Quaralane" guy's videos on Youtube had some great ideas, but the execution was lacking to me, especially his port hole solution for the front of the ship. Shown here is the unit, two 5mm blue L.E.D's and how they will be set in the hull.

Return to “Models and Filming Miniatures”