Bishop37
Raider Gunner

Re: Moebius Models now has TOS line as well

Post by Bishop37 » Sun May 19, 2013 3:30 pm

Cylon-Knight wrote:ohhhh myyyy
DETAILS! MANY! Love it.
(Talking like Yoda? Yikes... :shock:)
LOL!

Yeah, they even have the rivets on the canopy.

Bishop37
Raider Gunner

Post by Bishop37 » Wed May 22, 2013 1:21 pm

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin

Post by Red Eye » Wed May 22, 2013 1:28 pm

These kits ROCK!
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Post by 137th Gebirg » Thu May 23, 2013 8:43 am

First pic of the Galactica! Woohoo! Definitely looks super accurate and highly detailed. I'm now wondering if they might have done a 3D scan of the original.
I may appear unoccupied to you, but at the molecular level, I'm really quite busy.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Thu May 23, 2013 11:30 am

I can say with out a doubt no scan was taken of the original ship. The owner said he would rather pour lighter fluid on torch it before that ever happens.
Image :cylongold: :cylongold: :cylongold:

Cylon534
Phalanx Leader

Post by Cylon534 » Thu May 23, 2013 1:39 pm

GoldCylon wrote:I can say with out a doubt no scan was taken of the original ship. The owner said he would rather pour lighter fluid on torch it before that ever happens.
Well, hopefully the next owner will be a little open minded... :ugh:

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Post by 137th Gebirg » Tue May 28, 2013 1:05 pm

Yeah, seriously - why the reluctance? If he was smart, he would license the pattern and draw up a contract for royalties for use of the model as a master. Some folks have mentioned on the other boards that this appears to be a mass-production styrene re-cast of the TimeSlip resin original. Granted, that's excellent source material in-and-of itself, but it would have been nice if they had access to the real deal to ensure authenticity.

Oh, well, even if it is a recast of the TS, it's several orders of magnitude better than the old Revllogram dog. I'll probably get several of them myself. I always wanted to kitbash my Gunstar design. I may now finally get my chance next year.
I may appear unoccupied to you, but at the molecular level, I'm really quite busy.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Tue May 28, 2013 4:25 pm

First off he doesn't own the rights to sell copies and second it lowers the value of the ship when copies are made. It is most likely selling off copies after jumping the hoops when Glen and Uni and lost of value he isn't ahead at all.
Image :cylongold: :cylongold: :cylongold:

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Post by 137th Gebirg » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:01 am

A new close-up pic has surfaced of the TOS-G "alligator head" on Moebius' FaceBook page. While I think the surface etching is a little stark, it still appears highly accurate and lovingly made. The 35 year wait is almost over...

Red Eye

Post by Red Eye » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:11 am

Can't wait to seee the full kit!

Hope they'll release a Cylon Basestar kit in the near future to make the main ships complete.
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Post by 137th Gebirg » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:16 am

Don't see why not...IIRC, the original Revellogram Basestar was the most accurate of the whole lot, due to some kind of particular mastering process that apparently took its shape from the original studio filming miniature (can't remember the specific name of the process - will look it up). More recent re-releases of it (IIRC) from the 25th or 30th anniversary has accurization parts included that get it as close to the original as can be. I suspect that, if Moebius holds the license now, they will simply re-release the latest version of it - it would be the most budget-minded thing to do. The Viper and Raider have already been completed, and the G needed the most work and has probably gotten the lion's share of Moebius' R&D budget.

Edit: It looks like the process by which the original Basestar kit was supposedly created was called roto-casting (or roto-molding). It's apparently an extremely expensive process and not commonly done.

Some have speculated that this new Battlestar kit may be a mass-production recast of the Fantastic Plastic resin kit that came out a couple of years ago, but now I'm not so sure. I had that one and there are too many differences in the surface detailing.

Red Eye

Post by Red Eye » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:50 am

I almost forgot, some photos of a finished Viper were released recently: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 964&type=3

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Post by 137th Gebirg » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:54 am

That's really nicely done - and the Raider is frikkin' HUGE!

Red Eye

Post by Red Eye » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:03 pm

Oh yeah, 1:32... so it's studio scale. :cool:

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Post by 137th Gebirg » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:50 am

New update: New pics of the finished model.

Aside from the heavily inscribed hull lines (which look to be in the final production version), this thing is positively beautiful! Well worth the wait.

Return to “Models and Filming Miniatures”