LastBattlestar's studio scale Galactica

The models you built, and studio scaled miniatures
LastBattlestar
Centurion

Re: LastBattlestar's studio scale Galactica

Post by LastBattlestar » Wed May 25, 2011 11:04 am

The front dome is from the AMT (I think) Fruehauf Tanker trailer kit. I replaced it with the resin version from Custom Replicas. It has a massive amount of simply incredible scribing work on it.

Thanks guys! :salute:

Mike

'Helm, make ready to move. Flank speed and fuel be damned!'

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Wed May 25, 2011 11:11 am

Thanks Mike, and keep up the great work.

Tinman
Fallen Centurion - R.I.P.

Post by Tinman » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:10 am

What are the dimensions for a studio scale Galactica?
TINMAN

LastBattlestar
Centurion

Post by LastBattlestar » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:38 am

Hi guys, sorry about being massively late updating my Base Star killer thread. ;) Life's been extremely busy with the purchase of our new house way back in February and myself spending a lot more time landscaping and funking the decor up than working on the Galactica. However, she did get a BIG makeover during the winter months with a complete overhaul of the underside (right back to completely new styrene) and accurate detailing with original and Custom Replicas resin parts. I've almost finished the head/body/engines underside, but am now beginning the enormous task of redetailing the entire starboard side of the model, just to break things up a little.

My apologies for not posting WIP pics directly here, but please check out some of the update pics here:

http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=45667

As always, much more detailed progress posts can be seen in the original Resin Illuminati monster build thread!

Tinman, I can't say that I've ever accurately measured my own build, but it's in the region of 75 inches long. I think of it as an art piece rather than a little model sitting forgotten on a shelf. We're hoping to extend our lounge room into a little home theatre and I WILL be designing a niche just for displaying my Galactica. You'd have to be nuts designing a room around a model, wouldn't you? :P

Take care all, Mike

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:16 am

All I can say is: KILLER UPDATE! :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

When you're finished with her, you REALLY have something to be proud of!

Hats off my friend.
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:49 am

Mike it looks awesome, and by the way I have a large print of of the landing bay. Would you like a scan of the original bay art drawn, and painted by Andrew? I mean by large it is about 300 times larger than the original so don't get hopes up on it being a poster size.

Tinman
Fallen Centurion - R.I.P.

Post by Tinman » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:50 am

LastBattlestar wrote: Tinman, I can't say that I've ever accurately measured my own build, but it's in the region of 75 inches long. I think of it as an art piece rather than a little model sitting forgotten on a shelf. We're hoping to extend our lounge room into a little home theatre and I WILL be designing a niche just for displaying my Galactica. You'd have to be nuts designing a room around a model, wouldn't you? :P
Take care all, Mike
Tks Mike, that's actually all I needed. I was just curious about a general size as I have always contemplated building a SS model of a Battlestar I have a sketch of. She is actually much bigger than the Galactica so it would take a hell of a space to build and display something like that. I may have to re-think my project.

About the biggest models I have built were the Tamiya 1/350 USS Enterprise kits and they were enough trouble to display. I can see what something like your Galactica would about have to have it's own room unless you had a very large house.

Tks again Mike, GREAT work on your Galactica model. :salute:

<S>!
TINMAN

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:45 pm

OH MY WOW :shock:

Basestar killer!? :nah: Love it

Mike - thank you so much for the pics and links! I appreciate you sharing it with us, tending to threads "at this site" and "that site" and "the other one too" takes time I know, thanks for remembering us old rusty Cylons here! :)

Your Galactica will be a JAW DROPPING display in your future home theatre. That will be a sight to see! Looking to forward to more as you have time to work on the project and share new photos.
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

LastBattlestar
Centurion

Post by LastBattlestar » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:47 am

GoldCylon wrote:Mike it looks awesome, and by the way I have a large print of of the landing bay. Would you like a scan of the original bay art drawn, and painted by Andrew? I mean by large it is about 300 times larger than the original so don't get hopes up on it being a poster size.
Does Muffit crap nuts and bolts? Does Tigh wish Adama would retire? Does a Battlestar, er, battle? I think what I'm trying to say is yes, I would LOVE a scan of Andy's painting. Thanks!

Thanks also for the kind words fellas. I sometimes wonder if I'll ever finish the build. It gets really hard to look at it and get motivated when seeing the hundreds of hours yet to go. But when I do get going, it's multiple 1 or 2am (weekdays!) sessions at the bench for a few weeks. It's not a model, it's a lifestyle. :salute:

Mike

LastBattlestar
Centurion

Post by LastBattlestar » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:53 am

Oh, BTW, I drew this for my fellow Adelaide Galactica builder Phil as a Christmas 2011 present. Pencil and ink on watercolour paper. It was fun interpreting Andy's little painting into something more detailed. Hope you like it!
baydrawing.jpg
Mike

LastBattlestar
Centurion

Post by LastBattlestar » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:07 am

Oh, that's just beautiful! Thanks for going to the trouble of de-framing it!

Mike

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:50 am

LastBattlestar wrote:Oh, that's just beautiful! Thanks for going to the trouble of de-framing it!

Mike
Sorry Mike, but I needed to pull the photo, and the scans down.

dbhs
Raider Commander

Post by dbhs » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:54 pm

Very nice progress on the G, Mike. Having seen the artwork Dale has in person I know you're in for quite a treat adding that in the bays. It's great to see collaboration like this.

goldcylon1
First Centurion

Post by goldcylon1 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:44 am

:loveit:

Looks fantastic !!! How many Hours do you have in it now? GC1 :cylongold:

Are you doing fiber and LED lighting? How many bash kits are into that wonderful piece

Way more talent than I could ever have!!!!! :salute:
Goldcylon@cox.net

LastBattlestar
Centurion

Post by LastBattlestar » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:26 am

Thanks guys. GC1, my brother in law says the same thing about modelling skills. I say to him that I just stick little kit parts onto big plastic boxes. Anyone can do it, it just takes a lot of time and patience. Anyone with some moderate handyman skills can build up a big Battlestar hull from simple materials like aluminium tube, MDF and plain styrene sheet. Just take some time looking at plans and build it! I had NO idea what I was doing when I first built the hull in a little garden shed, just threw myself into the project. One reason this build has had so many reworks is as my skills improve, I get unhappy with an area I detailed years ago, strip it all off and do it again more carefully. It has had many, many engineering problems to be solved, but I just have to solve them to keep moving forward. So, no special talent needed, just do it!

Yes, it will have LED light sources and fibre optic window lighting. I have two large domestic LED globes for the engine lights also. Hours? Hard to say, sometimes it gets 10-20 hours a week (rarely) and sometimes 6 months without any work at all. I guess if I averaged roughly two hours a week over 13 years....maybe 1500 hours in it so far? Yikes. Lots more to go.

Mike

Return to “Models and Filming Miniatures”