Cylon Raider OOB Build

The models you built, and studio scaled miniatures
Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Re: Cylon Raider OOB Build

Post by Cylon-Knight » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:58 pm

gremlin wrote:just giveing everyone a heads up that i got my cockpit yeasurday and i will post pics soon :grin:
Very cool! Looking forward to the pics.
What type of plastic is it made from?

"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

gremlin
Flight Leader

Post by gremlin » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:37 pm

its made out of white resin... looks good too on quick inspection... hopeing for the pics this weekend (not that i am trying to hijack this thread but... :nah:) :grin: it comes with 3 cylons and cockpit. the first 2 cylons the legs are cut at the knees and the one that sits up top is full cylon.. they dont have the back packs so they sit in the chairs nicly (after i shave the extra reson from the back :ugh:

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:07 pm

gremlin wrote:not that i am trying to hijack this thread but... :nah:
Hey, we are Cylons - we do what we want ;) and you are still on topic! I'm sure Tinman will want more info on the cockpit too - thanks for the pics when you can get them posted.

Tinman
Fallen Centurion - R.I.P.

Post by Tinman » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:46 am

TINMAN

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:55 pm

Nice pirate hat! :)

*yar*

gremlin
Flight Leader

Post by gremlin » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:30 pm

LMAO!!! you guys are too much... ok i lied... here are the pics
DSCI0100 (Large).JPG
DSCI0107 (Large).JPG
DSCI0108 (Large).JPG
DSCI0110 (Large).JPG
here is some fun i had with my toy raider
DSCI0118 (Large).JPG
DSCI0119 (Large).JPG

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:01 am

Looks nice!

Good luck with the installment.
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

gremlin
Flight Leader

Post by gremlin » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:03 pm

i just got to find my model now :cool:

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:41 am

Nice looking Gremlin.

Damn shame they didn't include a "clear" cockpit top where you could detail and display the cockpit.

:byyourcommand:
TINMAN

gremlin
Flight Leader

Post by gremlin » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:56 pm

well here some better shots of the cockpit that i got...(this is a finished cockpit and not mine)
RaiderCockpit01.jpg
RaiderCockpit02.jpg
RaiderCockpit03.jpg
these 2 i think is for the studio scale...
raid7s.jpg
raid8.jpg

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:38 pm

I never did finish posting these on this forum so I will go ahead and post up the rest of the article. Sorry for the delay.

Well Boys and Girls, I thought you had guessed this project was dead and buried (so did I at times!) but I finally got disgusted with myself for taking so long to get it out after promising Cylon-Knight over and over - that last weekend I FINALLY had some time so I dug it out of mothballs and STATED FIRMLY to the cat sitting beside me that IT WOULD BE FINISHED THIS WEEKEND COME HELL OR HIGH WATER! (The cat just looked at me confused and wondered what the HELL I was talking about and why he should care - but that is another story for another time).

OK...Back to the Raider build........

FINISHING DECALS:
The Racing Stripes went on the bottom in using the same process as described above. BE ADVISED AGAIN, some of the decals in these older kits can be cranky to put on sometimes and you have to use a little "Extra" patience with them. These went on slick as a whistle with the help of a little Micro Sol & Set.

TINMAN

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:39 pm

FINISHED PRODUCT:
OK, After assembling the stand - nothing to it - it just slides together easily and the pieces lock. (NOTE: This stand on this issue of the kit is a MEGA advance over the first issue - I remember it and it was a flimsy thing that would bend under the weight of the model.) It was then taken out to the paint table and just painted a standard satin black. The stand comes with a very nice decal and plate to put on the front of it - but I left it off and just mailed it to CK so he could put it on if he chose to. Nice shot of the decal below:

For the final work on the model - I made sure I was happy with the weathering and painting any details I wanted to stand out from the standard color of the fuselage and hull - you can pick out a few of these items in the pics. Then out to the paint table again for several coats of TESTORS DULLCOAT on both sides. This comes in both spray cans and in bottles for use by airbrush and IMHO, is one of the modelers BEST friends ever made. ONE NOTE: wear rubber gloves when you are handling the model for this final process because if you manage to get a finger print from the natural oil on your hands on the model before you do this, once you put the coating on it will show right up and ruin the finish on your model.

Prepare the can of Dullcoat just like you did the can of spray paint as described above - soak in a pan of warm water for awhile to make it where it will spray more evenly and then just spray the coats on in long sweeping - back and forth motions. I put about three coats each top and bottom - letting them dry completely between coats. You can see by the pic below of the finished model how this brings both the weathering and decals all together to make it look like one finish.

Now you are ready to go out and sweep the vile Colonials from the Stars! I have already mailed it to CK and he is working on the "Beauty Shots" as we speak so they should be up shortly. (I got a sneak peak and I have to say they are down right SEXY!!! :nah: Hope you enjoy them.

Now all I got to do is talk to the Cat about getting the Cylon Attackstar & Basestar models on my shelf finished! :P

:byyourcommand:
Last edited by Tinman on Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TINMAN

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:40 pm

And Lastly - a nice "Beauty Shot" of my Raider in her natural element courtesy of Cylon Knight.

TINMAN

SiR-ROUND

Post by SiR-ROUND » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:56 am

Awesome!!!

Send from my Galaxy phone.

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:11 am

That's a neat looking Raider!

Good work! :cool: :cylon:
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

Return to “Models and Filming Miniatures”