How is it possible to convert SD to HD video?

Talk about just about anything you like. Your projects you have on your work bench, TV shows you like, or miss, etc.
Hope It Is The Grog
Squadron Leader

How is it possible to convert SD to HD video?

Post by Hope It Is The Grog » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:26 am

I've seen where David Kerin recently converted some Galactica footage from SD to HD, and I've seen the same kind of thing done elsewhere. Can anyone explain how this is even possible?

I mean, if you are starting with SD source material, that level of detail you need for HD just isn't there, right? How can the output possibly contain more sharpness and texture in the picture than the source you started with? Surely that information just doesn't exist?

I can understand if you have access to the film negatives and use those, because film contains incredibly minute detail. But I'm not seeing at all how any kind of HD "conversion" from an SD source can add sharpness and detail that just wasn't there.

Is it black magic?

Is there software that can make incredibly accurate guesses at what detail should be in the picture?

Or is all that detail somehow latently contained in SD video that logically doesn't have the room to store it?

:huh:

I'm so confused!!!!!

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Re: How is it possible to convert SD to HD video?

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:59 pm

IMAX 3D HD BSG!
Black Magic, yep.
;)
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:34 pm

I have a few of his videos he recently sent me to post online, but they were blocked on YouTube, and my site here can't support files that large. I am not sure where else to post them except facebook.
As for the upgrade from Standard Definition (SD) to HD it is a computer program that does the work. Making the standard SD film footage from 24 frames per second to about 50 frames per second. The computers program merges 10 pixels Per Square Inch (PSI) into a 20 PSI. This is auto scanned of a image outline, and then sharpen the edges via merging sharp points to rounded edges. Giving the appearance of a high res photo. Making the image color sharper aka brighter, and giving a steady cam view to the film footage is all part of the upgrade.
http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/evga_gefo ... 1080_1.jpg

Hope It Is The Grog
Squadron Leader

Post by Hope It Is The Grog » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:49 pm

I think I sort of understand. So it really is the computer making an extremely sophisticated guess as to what the image is supposed to look like. Using algorithms or midichlorians or something.
"I may move to the command chamber. I'm sure they're talking about me while I'm in here."
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sufferin ... 2291161676

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:51 pm

The something part is the best thing I have heard. :cylongold:

Hope It Is The Grog
Squadron Leader

Post by Hope It Is The Grog » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:55 am

:bsglol:
"I may move to the command chamber. I'm sure they're talking about me while I'm in here."
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sufferin ... 2291161676

Return to “Anything Off Topic”