The Cylons Are Among Us - For Real

Talk about just about anything you like. Your projects you have on your work bench, TV shows you like, or miss, etc.
RavenLX
Raider Pilot

The Cylons Are Among Us - For Real

Post by RavenLX » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:16 pm

Check this out:

http://edition.cnn.com/SPECIALS/art-of- ... p_c1#poi/4

I have always had an interest in medical technology progress and am very glad to see it develop so rapidly, especially in areas that enable the disabled. I would love for society to develop tolerant attitudes just as quickly. Some people still stare and even try to keep their kids away from people with artificial limbs, out of unfounded fear. Whenever I meet someone who is missing a limb or deformed or whatever, I don't think anything different of them. I grew up around handicapped kids that needed medical devices of all kinds so for me it is nothing unusual. So I'm one that never could understand why people would see things like this and be scared or overly fascinated as if it were something out of the ordinary or something.

They watch movies and TV shows like BSG, Star Wars, Star Trek, etc. and yet when they see someone that is different looking from the average run-of-the-mill 'human' they have a negative reaction. I guess I'm not understanding why this is so even after all that Hollywood has done to make these types of things "cool".

Anyway, that's my two cent rant on it but I think it's great that people are doing great things in this area.

GoldCylon
Founder

Re: The Cylons Are Among Us - For Real

Post by GoldCylon » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:35 pm

I heard about this I think last week, or so in a top of the hours news brief. I didn't hear any details about it till now. Looks great, and hope they can help those that have lost a limb via traumatic injury. :cylongold:

RavenLX
Raider Pilot

Re: The Cylons Are Among Us - For Real

Post by RavenLX » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:15 pm

These can be expensive and not covered by insurance. I'm hoping that advocacy can be done so that it would be required to be covered fully by insurance. My thoughts were first of the Boston victims and hope that their future is bright despite what they lost, and this is a great thing since it may help them rebuild their lives and accessibility.

Check this out as well:

This guy is showing how his arm/hand works! I have to say this guy is brave and wonderful for putting up that video! Also did you know that the guy who built the Bionic Man Rex robot system also has an artificial hand?

One of my biggest inspirations is Stephen Hawking, who has a brilliant mind and uses technology to communicate and get around. If it weren't for technology, we would not have learned of the amazing things Stephen Hawking had to tell us and inspire us with.

After growing up around those who needed braces, etc. I saw how that can be a challenge especially for kids. I really am inspired by those who go through this and adapt and still be cool in the process!

Return to “Anything Off Topic”