RI-BSG Review by Big Al

Discussions about the new 2003 TV & Movie series.
Big Al
Command Centurion

RI-BSG Review by Big Al

Post by Big Al » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:31 am

:cylongold: I am one of the 1970's children of the Classic and Original BSG and I am always happy to share that with people I know when they bring up the subject of the (Not so new anymore) RI BSG.

It seems most of the the other people I converse with in other forums not related to BSG will comment on my cylon pic by saying it is very cool and they to are a BSG fan but before to long I can tell they are from second gen new age or what has become known as the Re-Imagined BSG.The first time I saw the New Ri BSG, I rejected it flat out!

Starbuck .....A Girl?.......GTFOOT! (Get the Frak out of town!)
Also Boomer is now a girl and a cylon and there are lots of copies

That was it I was done!

Well we are all a little older now and the times they are a changin!

We just got Netflix last week and I was cruizin through hundreds of millions of movies and tv shows (Well maybe not millions) but it was alot, Anyway I ran across the RI BSG so I decided to give it another look.

I have managed to watch 40 episodes in 3 days.

I want to complete all of the 76 episodes before I write an opinion but I must tell you all that I am seeing this series in a different light.

So far, some good some bad some very clever some down right awfull.

and I do believe now that I will add the new BSG and faction movies of that series to my collection.

The new ships are every bit as cool as the classic ships. The uniforms are good and bad, the pins are very cool, the guns .....eh.....I dunno.......They are cool wepons and nicely done but space epics should have colorfull beam energy weapons (Old School I guess) That was a big part of it for me back in the day.

The props are clever...and this is why I think this, It's two fold, as much realworld tech they could find is used and one reason is because prop departments do not have to re-invent ways to do things in a space or in a futuristic way. Or maybe it should be known as the "Jetsons" approch .........Food comes out of a wall hole completly cooked at the push of a button. Automatic Shaver and hair groomer, Scanners, weapons, devices etc. Instead they have used as many real world items as possible.

The new Galactica interior looks more like a Modern Navel Vesel than it does a Battlestar like a Sub I'm guessin because there is no main screen! on the bridge, commands are giving from a small pit like area . .....No fancy self sensing automatic sliding magneticaly sealed doors but rather big steel doors with the big iron wheel in the middle just like on a navel ship, Corded phones, real day laptops, lots of screens, The main sit rep table is not a high tech 3d presentation like in Avatare or Star Wars but a white glass table iluminated from the bottom pushing models around a translucent map to track battles and manuvers. the Presidents ship looks like a slightly augmented Air Force one with very today here on earth house in the burbs furniture instead of sleek modern space furnature design.

One reason is budget but I think the main reason it is a way of making the audiance relate to the struggle by giveing you exact world objects that the caracters use. people from another world galaxies away and your mind recognizes this as "that could be me!" and that these people are just like earthlings ! They have invented the exact same stuff as we have !

A little deeper than I normaly go but it say's somthing.

So far I can tell you that this is indeed a far more complexed story and barley follows the original story but still manages to touch on certian eliments of the original, such as Kane and the Pegasas, the mission to the Ice planet was in the story line with prisoners going but did not follow with the actual adventure.

Instead it was way to introduce Richard Hatch as a new character...Tom Zerick ...Freedom Fighter / Politician / Terrorist

This series has went in several directions with the original story at it's roots but uses it just as a navagation for one of the most complicated Space Opras of all time !

Every one has a love interest, and for at least two of the females it's love triangles,

Some people are Cylons that look human! Some cylons don't know they are Cylons! Some Cylons don't want to be Cylons,

As for the Centurions, ther are terminators plain and simple! They walk and move like space age terminators from the terminator movies!.....Ya YA YA their kinda cool but They do not feel as ominous as our original Centurions.

One thing is for sure! all space paper has no corners!

There are no reptile Cylons! One of the Re Imagined changes of the original story line.

I'm just starting Season 3 but so far no Athena or Casiopia
No Serina and no daggits.

I seen Boxy Breifly in the first few episodes and so far that was it!

I do love the actors and they play their parts to a very believable level... yes Even the girls!...Starbuck, Boomer and oh I forgot to mention that Adm. Kane is also a girl now.....but I believed they were the people they were playing.

episodes are well thought out and very detailed in theme and subject matter that we can relate to such as the attack it self is used to remind us of Pearl Harbor, Baltars betrayal is Benadict Arnold, The war against an enemy that wishes to destroy and or enslave you is WWII

Glenn Larson used these concepts to create the original and Ronald Moore has use many like them in this series and I think he did it well.

I know it was a windy post but I just had to blab about this!
So far I like it more than I dislike it

More to come

:byyourcommand:

By Your Command

GoldCylon
Founder

Re: RI-BSG Review by Big Al

Post by GoldCylon » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:20 am

I didn't read all the posting, but I caught the drift after reading, and scanning many of the lines of the posting. In 2003 when the RDM Moore release of Galactica was announced, and then aired I watched the Mini Series, and knew right then and there this was the Galactica I grew up with. I hung in with it the entire airing, and when it was finished I felt like it ended with out a ending. It have extremely high rating, and was given the thumbs up to make a series run. First out of the shot was 33, and then I was hooked. I accept this was Galactica by NAME only, and nothing else and excepted this as a 100% completely new Sci Fi program. It was great news to hear that Richard Hatch was returning, but let down a bit in how he showed up. The stare down in the jail cell was pretty cool for those of us that got it. Anyway at first I knew I was a rare bread of Galactica lovers that except both shows. The old farts hated the new show, and new found series lovers laughed at the corny original. I played a peace maker to the new guys explaining with out the old original show the new show would have never had a thought about it, and give it respect what its past. I didn't waste my time trying to be a peace keeper with the sites that favored 100% the original, and in some cases banned conversation at all about the 2003 show. I hoped that at some point a flash back of some type would happen since a comment was made by Six the old Cylon were still around, just not being used much. The door was open, and in 2005 Mojo (CG designer) was given the word about his dream also of having the original design Cylon's return. Razor was born. He took liberties that was wasn't given the authorization to do like the Cylon Base Ship, and other things. He didn't do the model build of the Cylon, but he did help out. A small bet was made when building the CG of the Cylon. The skirt (chain mail) in original forum wasn't something they wanted to use, but they wanted something. He came up with the sectioned pieces, ans won the bet. Anyway I have seen many original fans over the years slowly open their eyes and see the new show as something to give a chance over this isn't my Battlestar, and shut the door.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:17 pm

I am with you two. Classic BSG and NuBSG are two different animals. You can compare and contrast all you want but they are different shows with different goals. Both have high points and low. Al, you'll love the show and it really gets going in the final season. You are really doing it right seeing them in order so quick... Sci-Fi / SyFy spread them out between seasons for CRAZY amounts of time. Seeing them back-to-back is much better. One think I think NuBSG expressed much better was the total lose of everything. Everything was lost to the Cylons. Friends, family, homes, worlds, society - even hope was dead for the survivors in the rag-tag fleet in the new series... you really feel their despair and utter sense of "we are doomed but we'll keep trying to go on."

GoldCylon you are right too, some hate the new and some hate the old. I don't get that either... a person can watch and enjoy both... they were both hits ;)
Not to spoil it for Al, but I recently saw a random nuBSG re-run the other night on BBC America and to me it clearly pointed out one of the big "huhs?" that occurred in the show's end - the person that Apollo was with who just up and (you know) when he turned around. DON'T SPOIL IT FOR AL! But if you didn't remember that the final show is a bit WTF?

Great post Al, love your insight. But don't watch too hard... alas there is no NuMuffit ever. *cries*
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Skullbeast
Outpost Commander

RI-BSG Review by Big Al

Post by Skullbeast » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:42 pm

Law and space order. Or law in order in space. Reptiles rule. They fracking dropped the ball with the human engineered Cylons. That lacks aliens, which in my mind lacks sci fi. Great space scenes but that's all folks. Convoluted drama. Did I mention that there's no aliens. Only boring people and law and order and space.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:33 pm

^ ... yeah, the show seemed so alien to sci-fi. ;) lol

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:08 am

Amen to that, Skullbeast!
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

jclayman99
Raider Commander

RI-BSG Review by Big Al

Post by jclayman99 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:55 am

Yeah I tried to get through it with the recent syfi re-airing. The lack of any aliens in my mind changed the story far too much and it was boring. You could take any police or law drama set it in space and that's what it was. Plus the cg cylons sucked balls. All hail the imperious alien/ cylon leader. They knew what great sci if was in the 70s. Don't know why they couldn't get that in the new show.
If "they" say it can't be done, it just means "they" cant do it.
JCLAY

Big Al
Command Centurion

Post by Big Al » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:54 pm

:cylongold: Well I have finished all 76 episods and I have to tell ya ...I am now one of those guy's who who likes both the old and the new. Make no mistake about though...this is a soap opra! and very lightly followed some of the original plot line. This show had every premiss...Deceat, betrayal, sex, drugs, LOT'S of alcohol and smoking, love triangles, murder, Military Coos, Political mesages that touched on Abortion, certain Religous beliefs such as a the Sagitarans belief in devine intervention over medical treatment for illness, and in the final episode the message was here is a pristine earth unpoluted by the evils of man and humanity had a second chance. and many more complex twists......

By far the most complicated person was Boomer......Boomer was boomer and several other boomers, and a cylon and a hero and a traitor and a hero again also involved in a love triangle with a pilot and the cheif who latter was a cylon also and then she later became Athena but not before giving birth to a Cylon/Human Hybrid.

I came to love the Starbuck girl and I have to tell you that sometimes I got so invested in this show that i caught my self welling up with tears over their pain. That's when I knew it was a good show. Not too many things make me cry.

It was good what can I say. Olmos was every bit a great captain/commander/admiral and should be recognized right up there with Kurk, Picard, Sisko and Jane Way ( Is that how you spell it?)

I am sorry I discounted this show when I did.

I loved the way they combined the old ships with the new ships. I saw many of the original fleet ships included as well as the old vipers.

The raiders concept of a actual living breathing creature ship was very cool and then the old 3 cylons in the cockpit raiders were brought back later in one of the episodes. (Not a big enough fan yet to recite ep numbers and season numbers)

The biggest laugh I got was that all paper, Books and clipboards have no corners! Obviously Space travel and fighting a race of robots are not as dangerous as corners on paper products.

There are many things I did not like ....The wepons, and just like skullbeast said.....no aliens.....I guess the entire galaxy is just humans and cylons???? go figure

Adm. Kane was a big disapointment......She was tyranical, she was a murderer, Power crazied and apearantly she was a lesbian who had a love affair with a 6

One thing that was very interesting is how they kept count of the survivors and gave you a number at the begining of every show.

After I finished the series I also watched the entire season of Caprica.......I liked it too!....although I thought they were trying to stretch it out a bit and I think they were pandering to a teenage girl crowd but it was good......I felt they were trying to tie the internet and a virtual world (Face Book) to the real world.

Caprica started to tell the story of William Adama as a child but looks like it was canceled before it unfolded.

The u 87 was very well done....but it looks like there won't be anymore Caprica.

All in all I liked both very much and I will probably get the blu ray set of both shows for my collection.

If your one of the hard core BSG TOS guy's like I was ...you should have another look.

As for the Galactica 1980 series....netfilx starts at ep 4 for streaming vid and reserve the pilot, ep 2 and 3 for dvd only

Last edited by Big Al on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Your Command

Big Al
Command Centurion

Post by Big Al » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:57 pm

Also ...what happened to the Boxey Kid?.....they must have decided not to go with that side story because they made a point of pushing him out there in two of the episodes and then ....he was gone forever?
By Your Command

roushinator
Centurion

Post by roushinator » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:49 am

I think the new series is great. I have watched it all the way through about 3-4 times. Each time i get something out that i have not before.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:27 pm

Big Al wrote:Also ...what happened to the Boxey Kid?.....they must have decided not to go with that side story because they made a point of pushing him out there in two of the episodes and then ....he was gone forever?
Yep. Not important to the nuPlots, so *poof* gone. Just a minor classic BSG tie-in.

Big Al
Command Centurion

Post by Big Al » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:17 pm

roushinator wrote:I think the new series is great. I have watched it all the way through about 3-4 times. Each time i get something out that i have not before.
I find myself wanting to start over and watch it again but I feel guilty and have to many thing to do that take priority...but I will watch it again just like Star Wars and BSG TOS....I cannot tell you how many times I have re- watched those classics..
By Your Command

Big Al
Command Centurion

Post by Big Al » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:40 pm

:cylongold: Starbuck and Starbuck Drinking Starbucks at Starbucks

You guy's have probably seen these before but I thought they were cool
t5q7I-thumb-640x426-500x332.jpg
dirkbenedictstarbuckfromthe1978battlestargalacticawithkateesackhoffstarbuckfrom2004reimaginedser2.jpg
dirkbenedictstarbuckfromthe1978battlestargalacticawithkateesackhoffstarbuckfrom2004reimaginedser6.jpg
kara_starbuck_thrace1.jpeg
real-starbuck.jpg
real-starbuck.jpg (26.8 KiB) Viewed 3412 times
real-starbuck.jpg
real-starbuck.jpg (26.8 KiB) Viewed 3412 times
tumblr_l69q20IKvF1qzcrxeo1_r1_500.png
By Your Command

Return to “2003 Movie and TNS Series”