Galactica Vs. Enterprise

Discussions about the new 2003 TV & Movie series.
GoldCylon
Founder

Galactica Vs. Enterprise

Post by GoldCylon » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:02 pm

Galactica Vs. Enterprise

Posted Feb 21st 2006 9:55AM by Keith McDuffee
Filed under: Sci-Fi, OpEd, Battlestar Galactica, Vs.
picard vs. adamaI couldn't resist posting this extremely geeky question to all our Battlestar Galactica post readers. Reader Matt over on the Captain's Hand episode review posed the following simple question: in a battle between Admiral Adama (of BSG) and Captain Picard (of Star Trek: TNG), who would win?

I have my own take on the question, after the jump, but of course I want to hear what you all have to say about it.

Now, if Matt was asking who would win in a hand-to-hand fight, I'd have to go with Picard. Adama is recovering from multiple gunshots to the chest, at point-blank range. A couple of chops to Adama's midsection, and he'd crumple to the floor. Also, Adama, at 5'9", is just a little shorter than Picard, at 5'10", so he doesn't even have that advantage. I'm not sure Adama even has a regular workout regimen, whereas Picard can be found in the Holodeck from time to time, maybe doing some jogging.

How about a battle between the Galactica and the Enterprise? Again, I'd have to go with Enterprise here, though only slightly. While the Galactica can take on several nuclear detonations, they're no match for the Enterprise's active shields. Also, the Enterprise's near-instant phaser shots would hit Galactica multiple times before it had a chance to prepare. The Galactica's shots are slow and telegraphed -- much easier to maneuver away from, at least for the Enterprise. However, Galactica does has its Vipers, which could easily chop away at the Enterprise's shields from multiple locations, and what's the Enterprise going to send after the vipers? An away-team craft? Please.

OK, I've taken my geek hat off. Time for you to put yours on and tell me who you think would win such a battle, and why.

Image :cylongold: :cylongold: :cylongold:

Starbuck
Raider Gunner

Post by Starbuck » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:24 am

Interesting!, I'm surprized that noone has ever replied to this.

First of all, I can't see the Galactica and the Enterprize D would ever get into a fight. If they were to somehow meet in space each ship would establish comunications.

However, If they WERE to get into a "fight on meet" without any other variables, such as when the Galactica fought a baseship in "The Hand Of God" and sent a team to weaken it first.

I would assume the Enterprize D to win, simply because the Galactica's main weapons are her fighters. Although she does have weapons herself, they are primarily to defend against other fighters, NOT another large ship.
Although Commander Cain managed to destroy 2 Basestars with "air to air" missles and the Galactica destroyed one with her "forward lasers", the Enterprise D could easily lock on to "missles" being fired at it and destroy them with phazors, and her shields would easily be able to absorb any "lasers" operating in the 10's of Gigawatt range.
An important note:
The Enterprise's shields will defend against Phazors, which are a lot different than simple "lasers". Phazors actually phase matter and energy in a way that can destroy normal matter with a destructive breaking up of molecular structure.
Lasers are only high powered concentrated light beams that use heat energy to burn through substances, the shields of the Enterprize D would easily absorb or reflect Laser energy, as witnessed by Lt. Worf when he said in an episode that an alien had "locked Lasers onto us" and acted like it was a joke! LOL!
However, again, the shields of the Enterprise D are only a barrier to electromagnetic radiation (like light, radiation, and photon partical beam weapons) they will NOT stop solid matter. This is the job of the main Deflector Dish, which sweeps space dust, rocks, and other tangiable matter out of the Enterprise's way as it travels through space.
In the episode "The Best of Both Worlds" we see that a shuttlecraft penetrated the Enterprise's shields on the way out to the Borg ship.
So in conclusion, the Enterprise's shields would not stop an attack by Vipers. But she could easily pick them off with Phazors and multiple Photon Torpedo detonations , plus outmanuver them with Impulse Engines.
Then again, it would take only ONE OR TWO Photon Torpedoes to destroy the Galactica, because her electromagnetic deflector shields are only designed to "spread out" high powered Lasers, NOT high powered Nuclear missles.

All the above, of corse, is talking about the Original Series Galactica.
IF the new Galactica and the Enterprise D were to fight IT WOULD BE A TOTALLY DIFFERENT STORY.

The new Galactica can take nukes directly to the hull, as well as carried hundreds of missles and NUCLEAR MISSLES that can be fired rapidly enough that the Enterprise D would never be able to shoot the down.
The shields of the Enterprise D would not be able to stand up against a Nuclear attack from the "new" Galactica.
It would probably be a draw with both ships warp "jumping" away from each other's weapons.

SiR-ROUND

Post by SiR-ROUND » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:32 am

Hmmm, The Enterprise is way more advanced eh?

But then again, the Enterprise doesn't have fighters...

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:33 pm

Okay, here are my ideas. Fun topic!

Enterprise D vs. Galactica (1978)
I'd go for the Enterprise on this on buy a bit. The Galactica's Vipers would nearly overwhelm the Enterprise, however due to the Galactica being limited to lightspeed the Enterprise could probably deal some fatal blows before the Vipers are launched with just the Galactica putting around.

Enterprise D vs. Galactica (2004)
I'd have to say it would be a near draw... or the Galactica by a slim margin. This Galactica packs much more of a punch could launch her Vipers and Raptors then FTL jump in and out - zap - jump - zap - jump - all the while, both Vipers and Raptors swarm around the Enterprise, taxing its abilities. Or it could hand back and just long range attack and keep its distance in concert with its support craft attacking the Enterprise.

Picard vs. Adama (1978)
Hummm... tricky... I think Picard by just TINY little bit. Adama may be older, but I think he would surprise me and "go Yoda" on Picard who would be hard pressed to pull out a win.

Picard vs. Adama (2004)
Picard easy. Picard is always on the holo deck, like someone pointed out... or in some cave looking for ancient items, he fights hand to hand with aliens a lot already. Don't get me wrong - Adama '04 rocks - but he usually only gets into a fight after drinking and it is just a few hits then on the floor crying. Plus he has all the bumps and recent wounds. Picard has an fake heart, but that was done long time ago, (STAR TREK doctors are WAY more advanced than BSG's).

BUT, in the end... I don't think that any of them would fight. Espically Picard and the '78 BSG characters.

Now, what if Galactica happend on a Kingon War Bird or two?? Or three??? :twisted:
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

SiR-ROUND

Post by SiR-ROUND » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:28 am

What about Kirk?

He would get all the women...

Starbuck
Raider Gunner

Post by Starbuck » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:14 am

SiR-ROUND wrote:What about Kirk?

He would get all the women...
LOL!!!!!!!

I agree!

Also Kirk would win hands down, in a one on one against any of the rest.
Just look how quickly he put Soren on the run in "Generations" after Soren whipped Picard's arse!!! :lol:

As far as my opinion on the Enterprise D being more advanced, CERTAINLY..... Beam Transporters, Phazors instead of Lasers, Photon Torpedos, which are incredibly powerful Nuclear weapons.
If you notice by watching certain episodes, it only takes one torpedo to destroy an entire ship (comparatively sized) that has no shields.
Example the U.S.S. Lambtree, the Husnoc Armodillo.
When the first Borg Cube was chasing them in "Q who" the ship was several thousand yards behind them and yet Data informs the Captain that since the Enterprise's shields are down that a Photon detonation that close behind them could destroy the Enterprise.
Don't underestimate the power of the Enterprise D's weapons.
Although we've all seen her get her arse kicked plenty of times, If you really want to see what her true weapons potential is, just watch "The Survivors".
The 2nd time the Husnoc Armadillo attacks the ship, Riker orders Worf to "Fire Phazors on full, with a simultaneous spread of Torpedos".
The Enterprise D fires like 9 Photon Torpedoes in about 1/2 second, firing Phazors all the while, then fires Phazors two more times, all this taking place in about 2 seconds.
If they had done this horrific volley of fire against several other ships in other episodes, they would have been instantly destroyed.
Such as when the Ferangi (spell) took over their ship once. Or when they were under attack by Klingons in "Yesterday's Enterprize".

SiR-ROUND

Post by SiR-ROUND » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:37 am

If I wouldn't know better, I'd say we have a Trekkie on our hands...

:lol:

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:41 am

Your right Starbuck... Star Trek is a lot more advance in about every way (ships, doctors, replicators!). I didn't think about that. They also know how to dabble in time travel with their own devices if they want - i.e. "sure, sling-shot around the Sun" - like its common knowlege for officers. haha

Plus... if a fight was going on, they just call in the rest of Star Fleet! Sorry Galactica, but the Colonial Movers are not quite as helpful as the Excelsior. :roll:

NOW, the Enterprise NX-01... forget-about - hands down they would be felgercarb against either Galactica.
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Return to “2003 Movie and TNS Series”