Hello from Cincinnati!

Tell us about yourself. Post about yourself, your collection, builds or what you hope to collect, build.
uCylon
Spare Parts

Hello from Cincinnati!

Post by uCylon » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:19 am

Hi,

I loved the show as a kid. Now I want to cosplay as a Cylon Centurion. I don't have any real costumes, just a store bought Sleestak. I was recently at Dragon*con for my second year, and the Cylon costume is the only one that pops! Got chrome?!

So I have been poking around the forum, looking for the armor components. I would like to make my costume from fiberglass, but I'm open to vacuum molded styrene from C.O.R.A.? Is there a solid model file of these parts available? What would really be cool to know is what template and methods they used to make the original costumes.

In what order do you put this together? Does it make sense to assemble the underbody garments first, because everything else has to go on top? Is there a thread for the sewing patterns?

I am also curious what you do for the helmet so that is comfortable to wear for several hours. Someone here has a helmet with tiny holes at the front. I also read a comment about not using incandescent lamps for the red eye, because it produces too much heat. OK, so superbright LEDs it is.

Did anyone ever get their hands on the the original circuit design used for the voice generator? I read a few threads on phone apps, and vocoder replicas that come close to the original voice. How do you determine the good from the bad and ugly?

Sorry for so many questions, just trying to get it all together.

About me: Middle aged technician with experience in electronics and advanced fabrication processes. I like working with metal. Currently I am teaching myself 5-axis CNC milling and trying to finish up my Masters in embedded systems. I cropped my username from "24FuCylon" to "uCylon", to say something about the microchip architecture that I'm familiar with.

Regards,

Jeff

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Re: Hello from Cincinnati!

Post by Cylon-Knight » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:10 pm

Welcome Jeff!
Lots of questions :shock: - but that is cool.

Read up here at the forum - the Centurion builders forum has *official* threads by The Cylon Empire user - many costume parts are covere there - as well as over at http://www.cylonempire.com and http://www.cylon-knight.com for more Centurion info and we'll get to your questions answered. I'm at work now and can't type up everything myself - sorries!

Post often and enjoy the site.
:byyourcommand:
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:53 pm

Welcome uCylon that I thought maybe the U 86 Cylon or was that U87.
Image :cylongold: :cylongold: :cylongold:

Hand-Schaub
First Centurion

Post by Hand-Schaub » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:12 pm

welcome

Flyboy
Raider Gunner

Post by Flyboy » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:37 pm

Hello and Welcome :D

uCylon
Spare Parts

Post by uCylon » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:20 pm

Thank you for the warm welcome!

I found the marketplace for cylon armor. I'm not sure how I did that.

The "Gary the Cylon" song is stuck in my head after watching the first six episodes. :lol:

I am still looking for the following.

1. Solid models or detailed drawings of the armor. I have ideas of making scale and 1/3 scale armor.
2. The warble sound and how it is implemented.
3. The red eye scan schematic. I know how I did it twenty five years ago with flip-flops, up-down counters, and quad NAND gate drivers.
4. Sennheiser VSM 201 vocoder schematic. SCORE! check! Das Bitchen!
5. Sewing patterns for the under suit.
6. Cylon sword drawing or solid model
7. Cylon rifle drawing or solid model

I will do my best to read everything from the official threads. Afterwards, I will probably still have questions.

*subscribed to all official Centurion Builders threads
*user rank 475
Last edited by uCylon on Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:18 pm

uCylon wrote:Thank you for the warm welcome!

I found the marketplace for cylon armor. I'm not sure how I did that.

The "Gary the Cylon" song is stuck in my head after watching the first six episodes. :lol:
Me and Brian (HandShaub) had a big part in the last 3-4 episode of Gary the Cylon.

Enjoy.

Return to “Say Hi”