Greetings From Sacramento

Tell us about yourself. Post about yourself, your collection, builds or what you hope to collect, build.
Big Al
Command Centurion

Post by Big Al » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:32 pm

:cylon: Hello everyone My name is Al and I currently reside in Sacramento Ca......My story starts in the San Fernando Valley where I was born and raised. To make a long story shot.....I was 13 years old in 1977.....Star Wars really had an effect on me and I was mezmerized by the special effects especialy the lasers!......I was an Only child and the son of an areospace engineer.....so when I took an intrest in the movies my father bought me a elmo 1012 s xl super 8 movie camera with a full body pod. this camera was not a home movie camera. the camera was very professional grade at the time...remember ...we had no video cameras, no cell phones, and the only movie cams we had were super 8 silent cameras that had no sound....My elmo had a 10 to 1 electric zoom with a macro, sound on sound, and a fps selection of 1, 18, and 24.....Fade in Fade out Iris control, and was one of a hand full of cameras that had the capacity of using a 200 foot cartridge rather than the standard at the time of 50'....I still have it!...So Friends and myself started making movies!....Just like the cartoon ..Home movies....lol......Living in the San Fernando Valley you meet alot of people that work for the studios....my father had friends at Paramount and I was able to spend some time there where I met alot of real movie stars...Henry Winkler (The Fonz) at that time and you can imagine what a thrill that was, Penny Marshal, Cindy Williams, , They were shooting Scorpio at the time and I was able to meet Al pacino, They were also shooting Little House on the Prarie so I meet Michael Landon and Melissa Gilbert. My fathers friend was a set painter and he knew I was interested in a carrer in films and told me about a friend of his that worked at universal.....His friend was Don Martin who was the Technical director of the Screen Test Theater .....I met Don on a trip to Universal before Galactica and I became friends with him....shortly after that they opened the Battle of Galactica attraction and then I went to universal every weekend for next year!.....I went through the tour once a week at least 20 to 30 times!.....and I have many super 8 sound films of BOG.....Of course it was 2 fold as at the end of the tour I would go to Screen Test Theater and spend the rest of the day with Don!.....Galactica was also one of my favorite TV shows and I think I still have the VHS tapes I recorded off of TV....Now I own the collectors dvd's but in them day's you hade to record it from the brodcast.......Time goes on and things change.....Got married, Had Kids..Moved....But I never lost my love for Battle Star, Star wars or movies.......The reason I decided to join your group, was because of my experiance as a kid ...but I am also an avid R/C aircraft Modeler and we build r/c airplanes from scratch....One of my skills from this is Vacuum forming! so I think I have a little to contribute to this group...Although I have never made a Cylon, or a storm trooper, I do have the technology! and have created many plugs, molds and I have also built many machines!......Thanks for your time and I will post more soon. :byyourcommand:

By Your Command

Skullbeast
Outpost Commander

Post by Skullbeast » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:31 pm

Welcome! I'm sure your skills can be put to some great use up here!!

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Re: Greetings From Sacramento

Post by Cylon-Knight » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:20 pm

A big welcome to you Big Al!

Glad you've joined, and wow, you have a great intro! What amazing opportunities you had to meet some great people both in-front and behind the camera. Looking forward to whatever you can share, images, videos, etc. Of course we'd slobber over anything Cylon/Galactica - but BYC.net isn't limited to just that. Any build/topic is welcome. We are a small group and always interested to see and learn from other's projects.

And yes, yes, yes... if you can vac form - NICE!
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Big Al
Command Centurion

Post by Big Al » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:27 pm

Thanks Glad to be here...I found this page because I was doing a search on BOG and this seems to be one of very few sites dedicated to the old world BG.... I love the videos, pics, behind the BOG set with the actors...what great stuff!! then I saw the pics of the demolition and a part of my heart broke!.....pretty sad :( ....I love the videos and they look just like my 8 mm footage...unfortunatly my films are in storage and I never had them transfered...I guess I will have to put that on my list....
By Your Command

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:48 pm

Yeah, I'd love to see/know more about the Cylon's tank from BOG. (http://byyourcommand.net/cylongallery/m ... temId=1087)

Post often and enjoy the site Big Al :byyourcommand:
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:08 pm

Hey Al where in Sacramento are you located. Arco Arena area here.

Big Al
Command Centurion

Post by Big Al » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:38 pm

South Sac 65th and Stockton Blvd :salute:
By Your Command

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:52 pm

We will have to get together sometime.

Big Al
Command Centurion

Post by Big Al » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:07 pm

Sounds good!
:cylon:
By Your Command

Hand-Schaub
First Centurion

Post by Hand-Schaub » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:34 pm

I caught in the middle - S. Watt and Jackson Hwy area Welcome to the forum. Now find those super 8s and get them transfered - we are all wanting to see them now :)

Big Al
Command Centurion

Post by Big Al » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:19 am

Yea I'm gonna have to do that ...Ya know I also have, somewhere in my storage (2) 13 min 200 foot super 8 Star Wars reels one black and white and one in color both silent!....and I would like to see them too ....and you know how storage sheds go....it will be in the very last box in the corner....I will keep you posted on my progress...lol....I got those before they put movies on VHS.....and somewhere (I hate to admit this) I also have a bootleg copy of Star Wars on VHS that I got in late 1978!......I had a VHS copy of that movie 20 years before Lucas released it!.....POS now but back in the day my friends and were watching it over and over again untill we were sick of it!....lol you can get anything in the San Fernando Valley :wink:
By Your Command

Big Al
Command Centurion

Post by Big Al » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:26 am

By the way Skull Beast your art work is amazing! :salute:
By Your Command

Return to “Say Hi”