Hello from Georgia

Tell us about yourself. Post about yourself, your collection, builds or what you hope to collect, build.
jaxrods
Spare Parts

Hello from Georgia

Post by jaxrods » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:45 am

Hello to all from a Newbie in Georgia. My name is Jack and I'm getting ready to start a BSG project...The 1980 Turbocycle, 1:1 scale.

I purchased a Yamaha MX 175 a couple of days ago and hope to have it here next week. So then it starts... Although BSG 1980 wasn't a big hit the bike really excites me. I was around 12 years old when I saw BSG 1980 and at that age I 100% bought that a motorcycle could be made to fly. Well I've moved on from that belief but I still think the bike looks great!

I've already downloaded every picture I could find (not many out there) and taken dozens of screen captures from the DVD set. If you have some you care to share they would be very much appreciated.

I understand that there are members or a member who owes one of the original bikes and has completely restored it. How Awesome! Hope to learn more and maybe see what the bike looks like now, bet it is amazing!

Anyway looking forward to reading ALL the post and learning as much as possible.

My thanks to Dale for pointing to the board. Thanks Dale!

PS my prior builds include a 1989 Batmobile replica, KITT SPM replica, TV Batcycle, show rods Wine Wagon and Stage coach. Those are just a few.

GoldCylon
Founder

Re: Hello from Georgia

Post by GoldCylon » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:35 am

Welcome on board Jack, and guys I have seen some of his work. It is outstanding to exacting details of building in some cases the ground up to completion. Taking a sheet of plywood, and turning it into a car just amazes me. (I think the guy has tricked out conversion machine from the future I say) :wtf: Anyway we here at BYC.net welcome you with open arms since your handing out free turbo bikes.....Oh...I mean just making an other target to shoot at since we are all Cylons. So details on his build will be closely watched, and I will be helping out with as many details I can to help with your build.
Is it ok to post on here the photos to showed me to share with the rest of the guys?
Sorry to say neither of the current owners are not members of the forum.

jaxrods
Spare Parts

Post by jaxrods » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:59 am

Thanks for the warm welcome and nice words. Yes please feel free to post the pix.

NOTE to self....watch the roads for Cylons waiting in ambush... :)

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:21 pm

OK everyone this stuff is awesome, and these aren't just pics he snatched off the web, but his builds.
So could you also give some details about the builds like name, what it came from, and your influence on building it. Any details on how the build came about via plans just dropped on your desk, or studied photos?
Attachments
Snc17154 small.jpg
Snc14707 edit 1.jpg
KITT.jpg
DCP_5921a.JPG
0856_lsn_09 edit.jpg

jaxrods
Spare Parts

Post by jaxrods » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:53 pm

Everything has a story.

The Stage Coach is still a work in progress but it was inspired by a model kit called the Laramie Stage Ghost. After finishing the Wine Wagon (Last photo) I still had the "Show Rod" bug. This one is a complete scratch build meaning that I had to build the frame and all. I started with 4 1956 Chevy rear leaf springs for the rear, opposing them to make a 3/4 elliptical spring much like old buggy had. The front suspension is from a 1950s Chevy Truck. Everything in between is steal or plywood. I did spend a few $$ at Speedway motors for all the chrome, steering, etc.

The 89 Bat replica. That's a very LONG story but the short version is it took me 6 years to build and started life as an old impala chassis and a worn out fiberglass body.

The KITT SPM was a project I talked a good friend, Jay Ohrberg into financing. There are so many KITTs out there but to my knowledge no one had built a SPM version. I had a lot of fun fab'ing the panels. Jay pulled Fiberglas version and they are available. The car is now at the Volo Car museum and from my understanding George Barris dubbed it the #3 car.

The Batcycle was another fun project that now belongs to a good friend in TN. It is on display as his museum in Jackson, Rusty's TV and Movie Cars.

Lastly the Wine Wagon. This was an old show rod originally designed by Ed Newton. He is an amazing designer and has been at it since the 60s. He used to work with Ed Roth and many of the "Monsters" were Newt's work. I got the car after it had been left in the desert for 15+ years. Wasn't much more than the cab barrel left of it. I started with what I had and completed it in 3 months.

I'm currently working on a 66 Charger, 2 AMC Javelin, 1927 Chrysler Ratrod, 1935 Chrysler Airstream, and the Stage Coach. Was looking for something a little smaller to do while my shoulder heals from rotator surgery. I always loved the Turbocycle so now seemed like a great time to get started. Wish me luck. :)

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:08 pm

Amazing behind the scenes stories on each of them, and what else is amazing is the size of your garage. I can barley get two cars in my garage. O take it you have a pretty good sized shop. Envy :grin: :cylongold:

Hand-Schaub
First Centurion

Post by Hand-Schaub » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:16 pm

:shock: VERY awesome stuff. I knew guys who had a lot of the same type of stuff but it's sitting in a yard in raw form. It is great to see projects actually finished and to such a caliber! Amazing stuff. Major envy going on!

Legal question though. I heard that people with a 89 batmobile were targeted by WB and sometime got into some pretty major trouble? Is that just a myth or did you have some form of 'blessing' from WB.

Oh - and if you have extra parts you didn't use for the Kitt that you just want to pack up and send off to somebody I will be happy to write down a random address for you. :nah:

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin

Post by Red Eye » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:23 pm

Just one word about these: WOW! :wtf:

And welcome aboard the Basestar, by the way.
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

jaxrods
Spare Parts

Post by jaxrods » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:33 pm

The WB has many sides... The only "Truth" I know is that YES Jay Ohrberg got in trouble....Twice. But the underlying issues is that he is under contract with WB not to produce anything Bat related. He is to date the only person that I know who has had an "Official" issue with WB.

You can learn just about anything you want to know about the 89 over on Chickslovethecar.com

Oh and again guys, Thank you. No I'm not a business, I'm just a guy like you who does his work in the driveway or in the back yard... As far as a shop goes my last house had a 2 car attached and a 24x30 building. The new house has a much smaller shop. Most of my toys have to stay at a storage facility.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:42 pm

Welcome jaxrods, post often and enjoy the site!

I've made a new G1980 section and a special area for the turbo cycle. Post up yourself a build tread and include MANY photos :)

...Is your S.P.M. K.I.T.T. static? Or are the panels functional?
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

GoldCylon
Founder

Hello from Georgia

Post by GoldCylon » Fri May 20, 2011 8:06 pm

Good news. I made a few calls today shaking some trees making contact with the builders and an owner of the Turbo Bike Land Prob. I was allowed to pass on a phone to Jack and he called up one of the owners of the bike and was able to get some critical information on the build for the stage he is at. One bit at a time and in a while we might have us a flying bike.
Image :cylongold: :cylongold: :cylongold:

Return to “Say Hi”