Greetings.

Tell us about yourself. Post about yourself, your collection, builds or what you hope to collect, build.
Maj. Hassel
Citizen

Greetings.

Post by Maj. Hassel » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:46 pm

Hello, my name's Geoff and this is my first foray into Battlestar Galactica costuming.

I just joined the forums today after having recently purchased a set of cylon armor (see below).
Image Image

While I am fairly deep into the Star Wars costuming scene, I always wanted to get a set of Cylon armor as well--I am a child of the '70s after all. :salute:

I haven't received the kit yet but I know I'm only getting the armor pieces, gloves, as well as the LED assembly, rifle and some chrome tape (I have no idea what it's for).

I've found that, while building my Star Wars costumes, forums are an invaluable resource; I couldn't have built them without the info found in these costuming communities.

I've no doubt that this forum will be no different in it's depth of information.

So, let me give thanks in advance for all the help I'll no doubt receive.

Hopefully, I'll be able to meet some you in person at some event and we scratch our chromed domes in dismay, wondering who let in all of these dang stormtroopers. :wink:

GoldCylon
Founder

Re: Greetings.

Post by GoldCylon » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:12 pm

Hey Geoff, and welcome on board. The photo gallery had a few problems when you posted your photo. If you could repost the photo of your Cylon that would be great.
Can we (I) ask where you picked up your suit? What came with it. :cylongold:

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:31 pm

Hello and welcome Maj. Hassel

You two pictures have the URLs of:

Code: Select all

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=cc268bbb03&view=att&th=12b9c1c96d765c72&attid=0.2&disp=inline&realattid=f_gf5jicz01&zw
and

Code: Select all

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=cc268bbb03&view=att&th=12b9c1c96d765c72&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=f_gf5jhzb10&zw
Seem they are linked to a google mail page that can't display in the forum, we'd have to be logged into your email, etc. to see them - there isn't anything wrong with the forum here, GoldCylon - and the links do not reah out to the BYC.net Photo Gallery either.

Mag. Hassel try to attach the pic to a post so we can see your Cylon. :)

Chrome tape was/is for holding the "half parts" together as on original suits. Helmet halves, etc. were literally taped together. So they could quickly be taken off and or switched out if damaged.

Glad you are here! Post often and enjoy the site.
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Maj. Hassel
Citizen

Post by Maj. Hassel » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:23 pm

Sorry about the pics guys. Since they showed up for me (they still do) when I previewed the post, I thought the urls would work.

Lesson learned. :ugh:

Here are the pics I tried to post:
Image Image

I found the sale post in the 501st boards but I see now that he also posted the kit on these forums as well: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1072

I realize that the armor isn't flawless, but then I don't mind a little battle damage here and there.

I got--IMHO--a pretty good deal judging from the prices I've seen for complete kits as well as un-chromed kits on E-Pray.

I figure I've got to sell off some of my spare props (mostly ROTJ Fett stuff) to fund the completion of the costume but I've wanted one for a long time and the price was swing-able.

I can't tell if the pieces are soft pulls or not. To be honest, all cylon armor, with its rounded edges looks like soft-pulls to me. :grin:

Honest opinions are always welcome and advice is always appreciated.

Sorry about the broken links before.

Cheers,

- Geoff (Maj Hassel)

P.S. I'll definitely post more pictures after I receive the kit. If I drop off the boards then you'll know my fiance' found out that I started another sci-fi costume (see below) and I no longer walk this "Shining Planet."

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:36 pm

The pics look great! Thanks for posting them up.
Here are my quick thoughts:

Top pic:
-Awesome that it is chromed, that is a great deal, indeed. You are correct.
-Gloves look close, but are not exact 1:1
-Seem to have some extra parts for the scanner frame and mouth grill, two of each slightly different.
-Shoulder bells are there, but I can't tell if there are four or just two?
-Boots are awesome - do you know if they are your size?

Bottom pic:
-Again, NICE chrome :)
-Unless I'm totally spacing out looks like you have an extra battery box cover, 8 in pic, 7 on costume
-Seems to be an extra left forearm armor top
-Still can't tell about the shoulder bells under the backback

What is your goal for the Cylon? Going for CLOSE to 1:1... or just for "that's a Cylon" to the Con Goer, etc.?

Your SW stuff... WOW!
Is the Biker Scout a complete suit??

Maj. Hassel
Citizen

Re: Greetings. *PIC HEAVY*

Post by Maj. Hassel » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:25 am

Cylon-Knight wrote:What is your goal for the Cylon? Going for CLOSE to 1:1... or just for "that's a Cylon" to the Con Goer, etc.?
It has been my experience that going for full 1:1 accuracy can hit you pretty deep in the pockets, so right now I'm leaning towards "hey! that's a cylon!"
Knowing how my mind works, I'll get nit-picky once I learn more about the details...then I'll be in trouble.
Cylon-Knight wrote:-Boots are awesome - do you know if they are your size?
Unfortunately, no. I do have a pair in my size which I use for my TIE pilot costume. Perhaps a non-permanent grey paint option is available.
Cylon-Knight wrote:Your SW stuff... WOW!
Is the Biker Scout a complete suit??
Yeah, almost all of those helmets--TK, TD, TS, TB, TI--have full armor to go with them. The biker scout's soft parts (cummerbund/ vest) were sized for my fiance' to wear.

Right now my projects are finishing up my ROTJ Fett (in the pic there's two buckets. One is just a display which was autographed by Bullock). All I really still need is a jetpack ($$$$$).

I also need to get my AT-AT pilot going. I have a resin recast of a Don Post Deluxe Tie Fighter helmet ( you can see it off to the right, on top of the plastic cabinet)which I'm going to chop and put a TE2 faceplate on. After that I'll add the greeblies and give it the newly discovered accurate-grey paintjob.

Here are pics of some of the costumes:

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Re: Greetings. *PIC HEAVY*

Post by Cylon-Knight » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:38 am

Maj. Hassel wrote: It has been my experience that going for full 1:1 accuracy can hit you pretty deep in the pockets, so right now I'm leaning towards "hey! that's a cylon!"
Knowing how my mind works, I'll get nit-picky once I learn more about the details...then I'll be in trouble.
I KNOW what you mean, that has happened to my Cylon build ;)

WOW - your SW stuff is WOW.
Of all my "local" friends I got one to admit he'd like a TIE suit... but he'll NEVER make one. *slaps head* I need new friends :evil: :roll:

The TK and TI (is that the TIE? I can't remember the shorthand)... are great. I'd love to have a TK and a Biker Scout (TB?) myself too... but got to finish the Cylon first!

Post up more of your SW stuff if you'd like... We'd love to see/learn from it.

P.S. I edited your post so the pics are stacked - here at work on my inferior resolution monitor *ha-rumph* they got all nutty side-by-side (right to left). Just an FYI so you didn't think they moved on their own. ;) AND NOW, I guess I better get to work!? HA :angel:

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin

Post by Red Eye » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:32 am

Welcome to the board and good luck with your Cylon build!

I guess you've bought your armor from another member (RETRO1), correct?

Awesome SW costumes, by the way! :cool:
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

Maj. Hassel
Citizen

Post by Maj. Hassel » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:32 am

Red Eye wrote:I guess you've bought your armor from another member (RETRO1), correct?
I haven't read the FAQ in regards to posting the names of sellers or prices yet--I know, I know, shame on me--but yes.

I also plan on buying a rifle from RETRO1 which we'll sell me half-price. I haven't seen the quality of his rifles but am not too worried since the cylon's weaponry is pretty low-detail to begin with.

From what I understand, I'll have some extra parts when the kit is built. Maybe these can be put to good use buy some fellow board members.

As I mentioned before, I am an Imperious Noob when it comes to cylons. Hopefully, I'll get a pretty decent costume together. :grin:

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:56 am

Maj. Hassel you are well on your way - and you are at the RIGHT site :) :cylon:

P.S. Nice Avatar!

darthmarses
Spare Parts

Post by darthmarses » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:59 pm

Wow!!! Impressive!!!

I'm also new in the world of Cylon armor, but yours looks great to me!
I would be very happy with such armor.
And as a TK myself regarding your Star Wars suits: I'm starting to drool.......... :nah:
Is it a SDS armor? :wtf:

Cheerz.

Maj. Hassel
Citizen

Post by Maj. Hassel » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:11 pm

darthmarses wrote:Is it a SDS armor?
My two stormtrooper suits are made by Authenticprops (AP). It is rumored, however that Shepperton's (SDS) armor is a recast of the Fallano/AP suits.

The Biker bucket is made by a company called Altmann's and is actually licensed, albeit only in Austrailia. The TIE bucket and chest/back plates were made by Trooper Expert (TE).

The snowtrooper, I believe is Dan Laws but I might be mistaken; I've had it a while.

The Boba buckets are "Mystery" helmets made of fiberglass.

The resin recast Don Post Deluxe TIE helmet is going to have it's faceplate cut out and replaced with a spare TE2 (cast from original ANH stormtrooper helmet) faceplate which will then become a AT-AT pilot's helmet.

...and on top of this I'm now starting a cylon. Jeez, is there a 12-step program for costume making out there? I definitely need help.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm

LOVE the new sig Maj.!!!

darthmarses
Spare Parts

Post by darthmarses » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:20 pm

Thanks for the info!
Those are all wellknown prop builders in the world of Star Wars armor.
I love to see your finished Cylon armor! :cylon:
You did a great job in finishing your Star Wars armor, so I have no doubt that it will look great!

Return to “Say Hi”