Another Hello from KY

Tell us about yourself. Post about yourself, your collection, builds or what you hope to collect, build.
Toaster
Citizen

Another Hello from KY

Post by Toaster » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:31 pm

Greetings, Centurions!

Another Toaster on the assembly-line. I'm a friend of Silver Surfer's, and bought the fiberglass Cylon armor from him. I hope to get it ready to roll by Halloween, so I greatly appreciate any and all advice and info. I need to finish the sewing on the under-suit, find boots and an MP3 clip of the warble, then eventually buy a rifle when my teacher's salary can afford that.

I'm also a stormtrooper/sandtrooper in the 501st Legion (MidSouth Garrison), but my biggest claim to fame is that I am the "human Cylon vocoder." Silver Surfer can back me up on this - I can do a pretty decent Cylon voice without any electronics. (But I still intend to buy the HyperDyne labs voice changer anyway - doing a Cylon voice hurts after a while.)

:byyourcommand:

GoldCylon
Founder

Re: Another Hello from KY

Post by GoldCylon » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:40 pm

Welcome on board, and you have my ears to hear this Cylon human voice trick you have up your sleeve. Have a sound file you can post of some of your work?

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:04 pm

Toaster - welcome, WELCOME! Post often and enjoy the site.

PM me your email address. I've got a Cylon Eye sound I've remastered I can send you... a single scan that you can loop forever.

The boots you can get on eBay from time to time. I did and got the right size and they were cheap (w00t)! Another option, I know of a local leather/shoe repair shop near me that also sells a lot of "biker stuff." I got my leather dye there for my gloves. Anyway, they have a poster of boots they sell and there are some Cylon dead-ringers on it. Check out your local shops for something similar. Or I could stop by there and find out the company's name on the poster. It might cost you a bit more for new boots, but you'd be able to order YOUR size and not settle for something "close" on eBay, etc. You wouldn't want your Cylon toes to hurt! :shock: :roll:

Post some clips of your voice, and pics of your build too! We'd all love to hear/see them.

P.S. Our very own member Sean (Cylon-At-Arms) made me a wicked awesome rifle - there is a thread about it here - link (page 4 has the "done" pics). PM Sean to inquire about him making you one sometime. FYI: He is online very little these days due to work, etc. so a reply may take time... But he has some mad skills that are worth the wait! Tell him that Cylon-Knight sent you.

AND ALSO - put up some pics of your TK... would love to see them and learn more about that. I'd like to have a TK suit one day1
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Toaster
Citizen

Post by Toaster » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:57 pm

Hail, GoldCylon and Cylon-Knight (and all other loyal members of the Empire)!

It's been a rough year almost to the date since my last post, with job headaches, etc. but now I'm ready to start working on my Centurion (and can actually afford to finish it.) I've come up with a basic plan for what to do, etc:
  • First, I need a replacement inner bicep, since my current suit is missing one.
  • I'm going to have my fiberglass armor chromed as my first step, at Brown's Plating here in Kentucky as my second step.
  • Third, I'm going to get a used 2nd-Gen iPod and the Cylon-Voice app, connect it to an internal headset-mic and speaker, for the voice. (Already have the eye electronics.)
  • Next, I'm not yet able to afford screen accurate, so my undersuit will be a Lycra Bodysuit, with some ribbed fabric around the waist and skirting fabric that was included in what I bought from Silver Surfer.
  • Fifth, I've got some pleather fabric (also from Silver Surfer) that I'm going to sew around cut-out shapes for the thighs and biceps, with the inner cores of the insert made from 1/4"-thick foam.
  • Lastly (for now) the boots - probably either biker boots or jack boots. I've got "PopEye" calf muscles, so that'll be the hardest part. :oops:
Then I'll tackle the gun, when funds are available. Cylon-At-Arms makes excellent rifles, and I want to be able to afford the quality work that he produces. :)

Lastly, here's my PhotoBucket site, with pix of my 501st Legion TK, Cylon, and other pix. I've recently converted to a sandtrooper, and some pics of my now-dirtied armor can be found here.

All advice, input, comments, critiques, etc are welcome. Once I get the chroming done from Brown's (budgeting about $300, although I have no idea if that's way high or even way low of an estimate), I'll post build pics. Next week I'll have the iPod Touch and the electronics ready to test and I'll share the results of that App on here as soon as I do.

By Your Command

GoldCylon
Founder

Another Hello from KY

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:53 pm

I have the bicep piece chromed and ready to go. Drop me a PM if you ate interested.
Image :cylongold: :cylongold: :cylongold:

Toaster
Citizen

Post by Toaster » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:36 am

I hear that chroming a Cylon runs about $1000 US. :shock: Where do other Cylons get their armor chromed around here - anything cheaper?

I won't have my quote from Brown's Plating until around Wednesday, August 17th, but when I do, I'll pass it on to everybody here.

GoldCylon: PM sent; very much interested. Thanks. :)

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:37 am

The last few guys to get things chromed the prices went way up. I have done bulk chroming in the past, and had the cost of chroming down to about $450 per suit. That doesn't count tax, or shipping, but as much as the rates have jumped up I think the $1000 rate is going to be just about the going rate now. A fellow board member had a C3PO chromed just a short time ago, and it ran about $2000

Toaster
Citizen

Post by Toaster » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:44 pm

GoldCylon;

PM & PP sent; thanks! :)

Toaster
Citizen

Post by Toaster » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:59 pm

GoldCylon: PM & PP sent; thanks! :)

Also, my avatar here is a pic of my current progress. Below is a better pic:

Things to do (that I know of - feel free to add other steps that I'm not aware of):
(1) Finish the bodysuit
(2) Rig the armor up so that it's held together by more than just duct-tape, like it was when I took the photo above...
(3) Make the belt and skirt
(4) Buy some boots and modify them
(5) Chrome, when I win the lottery...

When I get some work done, I'll start a thread in the Centurion Builder's Forum to have something to show you my efforts. :)
Last edited by Toaster on Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:03 pm

LOOKING GOOD!

Love the glove, very nice.
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Toaster
Citizen

Post by Toaster » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:30 pm

Thanks! :)

(Although I can't take credit for the work so far - that was all done by Silver Surfer before he sold it all to me.)

And I just found my boots and ordered them. :)

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:02 pm

Looking good, and your photo answered a question I had about the bicep. I now have the answer, and the bicep piece in hand, and will get it shipped out as soon as tomorrow, but at least this week.

Big Al
Command Centurion

Post by Big Al » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:19 am

:cylon: Just wanted to say Welcome to the Basestar! :cylon:

And your Cylon is looking great!
By Your Command

matty_voodoo
Citizen

Post by matty_voodoo » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:10 am

LOOKS AWESOME! Looking forward to more pictures as you progress! Keep us in the loop :)
"Anyone who moves will be killed instantly."

Big Al
Command Centurion

Post by Big Al » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:59 pm

You guy's are so far ahead of me I'm never gonna catch up!.......I am going crazy here not being able to build anything!!!! Arrrrggggg! :ugh:
By Your Command

Return to “Say Hi”