New Razor Cylon helmet

This is a help forum to build your new series props and costumes.
GoldCylon
Founder

New Razor Cylon helmet

Post by GoldCylon » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:42 am

Since I have been lucky enough to have a few photo in hand that show the new Cylon redesign of the original Cylon for the Razor movie I dipped my hands in to some clay. Take in mind that I haven't played with clay since I was in grade school, nor am I a prop maker. I have made a few smaller things in the past, but I tried out making a helmet from the Razor movie of the redesigned Cylon. I used the shell of an original helmet to help me get my base, then reformed it from there. It took about 5 hours to do this, and here it is.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:53 pm

After some delay is figuring out how to get a good casting of this project I am back on track. I also did some reworking over of my original sculpting. I had some better photos to review since the movie was released. Before I was working with thumb nail sized photos as a reference. I adjusted the curve in the bottom back side of the helmet. Also the so called handle bar mustache area. This is around the grill in front of the helmet. I didn't have anything thing carved out before, and now have that. I also thickened the point of the Mohawk. It was wider in the forward front section. This rework took me more time to make these minor adjustments than the original time spent sculpting this from scratch.
Thats to an online fellow Galactica friend Gil helped me select an other casting agent. I have 8 lbs of Silicone RTV on the way. While in route, the clay will also dry out a bit, it is soaked from all my adjustments. Also once it dries up a bit, I'll be able to go fix some minor details.

JtotheP
Centurion

Post by JtotheP » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:36 am

Have you figured out how to do the other side yet?

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:20 am

I have an idea, but till I make my mold to pull off I can't get started. I just poured some RTV over the clay yesterday, but I need to give it an other coat. The thickness well was a bit thin for my comfort. Then I am going to fiber glass the RTV to get it to hold shape. Updates to come maybe next weekend.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:13 pm

I just pulled the fiber galls shell off the silicone mold. Everything looks great so far. I'll start working on the opposite side tomorrow if time allows.
Sorry no photos at this time, photo gallery is down.

cybertrooper
Raider Pilot

Post by cybertrooper » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:32 am

Keep up the good work Dale. I am following your efforts with a close interest.

You know seeing the 'old' cylons here again just blows me away. I am glad the new series paid homage to its roots.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:41 am

Thanks for the words of support. I am still working on this as time allows. It is a challenge for me in a new world of prop making. I keep finding details that need to be adjusted and the challenge of making a mold, that I haven't done before. It will be worth the wait, once complete....I hope...LoL

Return to “New Battlestar Props and Costumes”