Viper prop legal car

This is a help forum to build your classic series props and costumes.
GoldCylon
Founder

Viper prop legal car

Post by GoldCylon » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:28 am

I saw this over 6 years ago, and tried tracking the builder down, but never could get the correct contact information. Well I guess the builder Dean Shorey has brought this back out onto the street. I can't see this not being noticed at all till just now, but below is a copy and paste updated information over the old posting I saw years gone by.

"The car was built by Dean Shorey, the master ride mechanic for Sea breeze Amusement Park in Rochester, NY. I worked there as a systems engineer for one season on a custom pump house control system for their water park. Dean and his crew have that park in such good working order, that he has a lot of free time on his hands, especially in the off seasons (when the park isn't building custom antique style carousels for other parks). So he restores and collects cars. Last I talked with him, he had over 20 something vehicles in various states of restoration. He's a big fan of the original BSG, so he decided to build himself a STREET LEGAL Viper Star fighter. From what I remember, the front end is off of an old postal Jeep, it has Chevy small block engine (cause Dean is a GM guy and he has lots of small blocks lying around the shop). It seats one person and has a cassette deck. No A/C.
The Viper is seen here parked near the rides maintenance shop during the spring of 2006. The lift hill for the historic 1924 "Jack Rabbit" wooden roller coaster can be seen in the background.

He's currently in the process of restoring four '57 Chevy's: sedan, coupe, station wagon and a delivery sedan."
Unknown author
Attachments
Viper car engine.jpg
Street legal Viper New York.jpg
Street legal Viper Jeep.jpg

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Re: Viper prop legal car

Post by Cylon-Knight » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:04 am

COOL! He could help me with a Viper and 4 other auto builds I have on my "to do list" :twisted:

Who's going to make a Street Legal Raider now? HAHAHA!
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:09 am

yeah the double parking issue with a Raider, but hey we Cylons really rule don't we. We park like Hollywood Stars, anyplace we like.

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin

Post by Red Eye » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:50 am

Why just a Raider? How about an entire Basestar? :lol:
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:59 am

Red Eye wrote:Why just a Raider? How about an entire Basestar? :lol:
Well I think the landing bay might have a problem on speed bumps. :wtf:

goldcylon1
First Centurion

Post by goldcylon1 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:14 am

Well thats something you dont see every day :wink:
Goldcylon@cox.net

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:34 am

goldcylon1 wrote:Well that's something you don't see every day :wink:
Yeah well some lucky people saw it when they were attacked in the stets of LA in Gal 1980 :lol:

Cy
Raider Commander

Post by Cy » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:19 pm

Hmmmm......A Galactica built on a bus chassis......

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:25 pm

Cy wrote:Hmmmm......A Galactica built on a bus chassis......
DUDE!
:twisted:

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:35 pm

Sure lets build this puppy, what my question is what model bus did you have in mind.... :blink: :grin: :huh: :cylon: :nah:
:byyourcommand:

Cy
Raider Commander

Post by Cy » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:43 pm

GoldCylon wrote:
Sure lets build this puppy, what my question is what model bus did you have in mind.... :blink: :grin: :huh: :cylon: :nah:
Oh a Gillig came to mind. In the late 60s to 83, the top of the line Gillig Schoolbus's came with a horizontal cummins motor. Also known as "Pancake Cummins" engines, the are a straight 6 cylinder diesel that lays flat on its side and bolts from the underneath the bus to the bottom of the frame. ( if its a post 72 it has a notch in one side of the frame to lift the heads to a 15 degree tilt) Anyway, we have a fleet of 12, most of wont be able to be used as of dec 31 due to ARB requirements for Gov equipment. The can still be owned by private individuals and should go pretty cheap since the only alturnative is the cutting torch. SO as a recap, the motor is low and under the frame, it uses a sidways radiator off the left side, and the entire bus body can be removed above the floor level. Only thing up there is the guy with the steering wheel and the 10 speed transmittion. :sunglasses:

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:55 pm

Cy wrote:
GoldCylon wrote:
Oh a Gillig came to mind. In the late 60s to 83, the top of the line Gillig Schoolbus's came with a horizontal Cummings motor. Also known as "Pancake Cummins" engines, the are a straight 6 cylinder diesel that lays flat on its side and bolts from the underneath the bus to the bottom of the frame. ( if its a post 72 it has a notch in one side of the frame to lift the heads to a 15 degree tilt) Anyway, we have a fleet of 12, most of wont be able to be used as of DEC 31 due to ARB requirements for Gov equipment. The can still be owned by private individuals and should go pretty cheap since the only alternative is the cutting torch.
Oh I have heard of these pancake engines, and I think I have seen one. So when will Launch Bay Alpha be open??

Cy
Raider Commander

Post by Cy » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:57 pm

As soon as someone wants to do large scale modeling. :salute:

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:29 pm

Wouldn't it be better to have lil mini Raiders!? Like the Shriners' goofy little cars at parades? LOL - Could have some Cylons marching around and 2 or 3 in little Raider cars... HAHA :)

Cy
Raider Commander

Post by Cy » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:52 pm

I like that idea better, less work. I can just imagine a dozen of us in a parade zipping about causeing havok like the shriners do. hehehe You could make them with an open cockpit with a cylon sitting in it. Cant see anything and running over everything. :lol:
Attachments
BEEPBEEP.jpg
Last edited by Cy on Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Classic Battlestar Props and Costumes”