Gold Cylon comes home

This is a help forum to build your classic series props and costumes.
GoldCylon
Founder

Gold Cylon comes home

Post by GoldCylon » Fri May 01, 2009 10:02 pm

Well this is a extremely good day for me to say the least. Today the name sake Cylon came to my house. Yes the screen used original Gold Cylon is now with me. Although this is a short term visit it is here. I am the middle man on putting a deal together on this rare prized piece. Today the Gold Cylon came to me from LA, and is now standing side by side brother chrome Cylon. This is a great day my friends, because not for a long time have these two been together. I wish it was a permanent stay, but about 4 weeks is all it will last.
Check out the link below to see a few more photo.
https://byyourcommand.net/photogallery/Vulpa?page=3

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Fri May 01, 2009 11:05 pm

TOTALLY AMAZING!
Thanks for the photos. Must be great to get up in the morning walk by and saying "hey guys" :lol:

Does Vulpa have a functioning eye scanner still?

I hope the lucky person that is getting Vulpa will join the site and maybe allow a comprehensive photo essay of it? So awesome, seeing how "the real deal" was crafted would be wonderful.
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri May 01, 2009 11:19 pm

I guess I need to set one thing straight. This is the gold version of Cylons. Vulpa was a bronze version. I am not sure when the gold version made it on screen, but Vulpa was on "The Gun on Ice Planet Zero", and on other bronze colored Cylon. Same suit, just not names was in the "Hand of God", and it was clear that many other colored Cylon were on screen at once. I don't recall multiple Cylons of 3 colors being on screen at once till then. Present were Bronze, Gold, and Silver. This is a gold colored Cylon. Vulpa that bronze Cylon is in Seattle.

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin

Post by Red Eye » Sat May 02, 2009 3:20 am

Dale, congratulations on making that deal possible!!!

It's great to see the gold Command Centurion reunited with one of his silver minions! :D

Now, all you need is the Imperious Leader, an IL-Series Cylon and an Cylon Civilian costume to complete your Cylon collection... :wink:

I hope you'll take the same detailed photos of him like you did with your Centurion costume before...

One more question, it it's allowed: Where did you get the gold Cylon from?

Maybe from the woman who'd sold the original screen-used Centurion helmet on eBay not so long ago?

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sat May 02, 2009 11:57 am

GoldCylon wrote:I guess I need to set one thing straight. This is the gold version of Cylons. Vulpa was a bronze version. I am not sure when the gold version made it on screen, but Vulpa was on "The Gun on Ice Planet Zero", and on other bronze colored Cylon. Same suit, just not names was in the "Hand of God", and it was clear that many other colored Cylon were on screen at once. I don't recall multiple Cylons of 3 colors being on screen at once till then. Present were Bronze, Gold, and Silver. This is a gold colored Cylon. Vulpa that bronze Cylon is in Seattle.
Ah - got it. So that puts Classic Cylons at:
1. Imperious Leader
2. I.L. series (various outfits, but one body type)
3. Command Centurions (Gold and Bronze)
4. Centurions (all Chrome)
5. Civilian Cylons - two or three types
6. And I guess the Imperious Leader had his pet lizard with wings. :wink:

cybertrooper
Raider Pilot

Post by cybertrooper » Sun May 03, 2009 8:57 am

Very interesting - is the Vulpa in the photo link the bronze in Seattle or goldie here? I noted that the Vulpa in the museum display has coloured bands at the base of his gloves as well.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sun May 03, 2009 9:36 am

The photo above is of a Gold Cylon (Not Vulpa - the Bronze).

It's odd they made a Gold and a Bronze. I wonder if they just couldn't contol the color too much and the second suit turned out a different shade and they were like "oh well." ?

cybertrooper
Raider Pilot

Post by cybertrooper » Sun May 03, 2009 10:21 am

Sorry, I didn't explain myself well enough. I understand that the photo above is a gold cylon because of Dale's explanatory comments.

I was referring to the Vulpa in the link that Dale provided: https://byyourcommand.net/photogallery/Vulpa?page=3 - on the second page.

cybertrooper
Raider Pilot

Post by cybertrooper » Sun May 03, 2009 10:33 am

Cylon-Knight wrote:It's odd they made a Gold and a Bronze. I wonder if they just couldn't contol the color too much and the second suit turned out a different shade and they were like "oh well." ?
I would hazard a guess that the difference may have been a result of experiments for lighting. Possibly the gold was too washed out under studio lights, and hence the darker bronze was utilised for Vulpa.

My recollection of Vulpa's first appearance was that most of his shots were in dark rooms.

As for the 'second suit', I wonder how many bronzes and how many golds there were. If we have two complete original suit between this gold and the bronze Vulpa, are there any more genuine articles out there? Or just a few genuine spare parts?

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sun May 03, 2009 11:41 am

I'm not sure how many golds were made - that would be a fun historical search.

Yes, most of the Cylon's were filmed in darkly lit scenes - the eye scanner wasn't that bright (vs. Sunlight, etc.). And the Chrome was so reflective they didn't want any crew showing up in the armor reflections I'm sure.

Now that I think about it - the episode The Lost Warrior - Apollo vs. Red Eye is always at dark. However, in 1980 when Starbuck is chillin

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sun May 03, 2009 10:24 pm

I haven't cleaned up the Vulpa photo gallery it, but I found out about 1 year ago that Vulpa is the bronze Cylon, not a gold Cylon. So a mix of gold, and bronze Cylons are in that Vulpa photo gallery. Vulpa the bronze Cylon is in the Seattle Sci Fi Museum. As far as I can tell the finale Galactica episode "The Hand of God" had 2 gold Cylons, and 1 bronze Cylon on screen at the same time, and a few silver guys also. Vulpa was present in "The Gun on Ice Planet Zero" but was shot and killed, and also causing damage to the suit when he fell.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Mon May 04, 2009 6:17 am

I was thinking the other day about the effects when a Cylon is shot on classic BSG. There are the sparks, etc.

Would that be something that one could setup on their own suit pretty safe? As in stage your own "OH I'M HIT" sparks and stumble around - I wouldn't fall to the ground and damage the suit, but sparking would be neat - unless it too would damage the suit.

Did the sparks/charges in the show damage the suits?

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin

Post by Red Eye » Fri May 08, 2009 3:46 pm

Yes, I can really imagine that the pyrotechnic charges did some damage to the suits.

Take a look at these screencaps for example:

A burn mark was clearly visible after the charge was triggered by the special effect team.

As additional proof Alan J. Levi, director of "The Gun on Ice Planet Zero", also stated at the "Remembering Battlestar Galactica" documentary that most of the suits where destroyed or had taken serious damage due to the explosives.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Mon May 11, 2009 11:27 pm

Red Eye wrote:Yes, I can really imagine that the pyrotechnic charges did some damage to the suits.

As additional proof Alan J. Levi, director of "The Gun on Ice Planet Zero", also stated at the "Remembering Battlestar Galactica" documentary that most of the suits where destroyed or had taken serious damage due to the explosives.
Pathetic Cylons :lol: lol

Return to “Classic Battlestar Props and Costumes”