Bronze AND Gold?

This is a help forum to build your classic series props and costumes.
GoldCylon
Founder

Re: Bronze AND Gold?

Post by GoldCylon » Sat May 01, 2010 11:54 am

Red Eye wrote:Wow! Great investigation work you've done there...

I also think that is the needed proof to end the discussion about the different colored Command Centurions (gold, bronze, copper).
A quick note the copper is a metal, not a color, but is refereed as a color for the purpose of making a color point everyone can quickly grasp from the US penny.

Now on to the frame by frame pointing out of this great screen caps, but one thing you didn't make note if that helps back me up in my claim he is the bronze Cylon is his deep deep voice. The gold Cylon voice is deeper than the standard silver centurion, but the bronze Vulpa model has a very deep voice. I also had a fellow board member over last weekend, and I showed him a screen used piece from Vulpa, and it was very easy to see the massive color difference in living color than it is on a darkly lit film capture from 32 years ago. The color issue problem sources back to the lack of light, and the lack of light sources back to the chrome reflection. These issues have made it very hard to tell a real true color difference between the two colored Cylons while being filmed.
Also note the photo I posted early in the thread when Boomer (Herbert) is standing between the Cylons, that is the bronze Cylon. Also note the chest piece. That was a real chromed cheat piece, but a bronze, or gold chest piece was ever found when these came out of Universal Studios, so a can of spray paint was used to cover up the chrome to help it match.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sat May 01, 2010 1:19 pm

Yeah, the Command Centurions have a deeper voice than the standard Chrome Centurion. But not every Centurion speaks when there are several on a screen so telling a Gold/Bronze/Copper/Chrome comes down to visual cues most of the time.

I still believe that there are only two types of Centurion Characters, Command (gold) and Standard (chrome). Any Copper/Gold/Bronze/Silver/Chrome/Platinum/Steel/Titanium - whatever metallic references one may term them are probably only due to lighting issues on the set and or production issues when the armor was tinted. They were in a hurry to make a weekly TV series where every episode had the budget of a major motion picture. Either that or what screen used items that remain have simply aged. Look at the original Imperious Leader... his color has certainly changed over the years! :shock:

TOS BSG Cylon Empire has 5 members:
1-Imperious Leader (The Boss)
2/3-Command Centurions - IL Series (Second Bananas - either can seem to hold rank over the other.)
4-Centurions (The Pawns)
5-Citizens (Probably worker bees who build machines, ships, Centurions, etc.)

There isn't anything in any show to prove three types of Centurions. Only two colors, and two types of voice as GoldCylon noted.
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Sat May 01, 2010 3:40 pm

Also note that the lower pitched voice of Vulpa was first used in the second part of "Gun on Ice Planet Zero".

In Part 1, he sounded like an ordinary silver Centurion.

If you don't believe me, go and check the episodes...

So the concept of the different Command Centurion voice must have been made during the post production while making the Cylon voiceovers for the episode, or maybe they accidently shifted the modulator on the vocoder, who knows? :huh:
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri May 07, 2010 5:03 pm

I photo of 3 screen used parts. Note all 3 are a different color. Silver (chrome) , Gold, and Bronze.
Attachments
Cylon color match.jpg

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Fri May 07, 2010 8:24 pm

Looks like the nozzle is paint? It is certainly not a reflective metallic finish.

Bet it has shifted color in 31 years... (1) Just from its age, and (2) from the size/shape, every time it is handled in that state - out of the forearm armor - probably 90% of its surface is touched (oils in the skin and all that jazz).

Cool photo... got other gold/bronze parts? If not, how did you get just a bronze nozzle?

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri May 07, 2010 10:12 pm

I guess I should take a pic of the silver, gold, and bronze nozzle and then the difference can be seen. As where I acquired you lose count when you have count less screen used props .... haha
:tank:

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:04 am

OK here we go. I just placed these 3 different colored battery belt box covers side by side. They are clearly different colors.
Attachments
Cylon belt buckle box chromed.jpg

trooper18938
Patrol Leader

Post by trooper18938 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:48 pm

As per the belt box covers - it seems to be 3 distinct colors

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:14 pm

I recently met a prop maker that worked on BSG, and I asked him about the colored Cylons, and he confirmed with me that the production did use 3 different colored Cylons.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:26 pm

GoldCylon wrote:I recently met a prop maker that worked on BSG, and I asked him about the colored Cylons, and he confirmed with me that the production did use 3 different colored Cylons.
Does he have any info on the below then?
If there were three colors, okay production item... but there were only two characters, correct?
Cylon-Knight wrote: TOS BSG Cylon Empire has 5 members:
1-Imperious Leader (The Boss)
2/3-Command Centurions - IL Series (Second Bananas - either can seem to hold rank over the other.)
4-Centurions (The Pawns)
5-Citizens (Probably worker bees who build machines, ships, Centurions, etc.)

There isn't anything in any show to prove three types of Centurions. Only two colors, and two types of voice as GoldCylon noted.
Like we said - There isn't anything in any show's plot to prove three types of Centurions. Only two colors (give or take a "gold/bronze tone", and two types of voices.

FLIGHTLDR SERPENTINE
Squadron Leader

Post by FLIGHTLDR SERPENTINE » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:31 pm

The command centurion in "The Hand of God" is clearly copper, not gold. Offhand, this might be the only time I can recall the copper centurion. Otherwise, the gold (Vulpa) is the only other command centurion we see. I am 99% sure of this. :cylongold:

Let's not forget the command centurion in the Ovion mines though either, when listing types of cylons. I suppose he'd rank below the gold and copper, but above the standard centurion?

P.S. The copper commander is my favorite, maybe because he was seen so briefly.
:cylongold: "SEARCH FOR WRECKAGE... LEAVE NO SURVIVORS..."

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:39 pm

Vulpa is a bronze colored Cylon, and then the bronze Cylon reappeared in "The Hand of God" No colored Cylons were in "Saga of a Star World". Not even on the cutting room floor.

FLIGHTLDR SERPENTINE
Squadron Leader

Post by FLIGHTLDR SERPENTINE » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:34 pm

The one in the pilot I just mentioned because he was some sort of rank higher than a normal centurion... but clearly not gold. I do still believe there was a seperate gold cylon... the coloration is just too different between the two; unless it's the same armor and they redid the parts in copper?
:cylongold: "SEARCH FOR WRECKAGE... LEAVE NO SURVIVORS..."

Skullbeast
Outpost Commander

Bronze AND Gold?

Post by Skullbeast » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:13 pm

Garrison leader. And his emblem is the difference.

---
- Die human!

Skullbeast
Outpost Commander

Re:

Post by Skullbeast » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:26 pm

GoldCylon wrote:I don't recall what episode shows a bronze and gold Cylon both in the same clip. It is clear at that point there are two other colors besides the silver.
As for the gold Cylon at CC they just bought that basically off shelf. The color is based off a guess, unless you own original parts (like I do) to get a color match. These places that do color match tinting are never going to get a correct color by looking at a photo.
I do own 3 pieces of the original Vulpa, and those pieces on the Vulpa at the SciFi museum in Seattle are after market pieces, or re chromed originals. Most notably is the chest piece, since Vulpa did a face dive and crushed the chest piece just moments before the big gun on the side of the mountain was blown up on "Gun from Ice Planet Zero"
Take note of the spay painted gold chest piece on Vulpa. A shaker can of gold spray paint was used the night before the display was placed up to complete Vulpa.
this is the copper picture!! vulpa and boomer.

Return to “Classic Battlestar Props and Costumes”