Height issue, perhaps?

This is a help forum to build your classic series props and costumes.
Finster
Centurion

Height issue, perhaps?

Post by Finster » Thu May 22, 2014 7:19 pm

I wasn't sure of the best place to put this post so please move it if there is a better section. Thanks.

So I joined this forum to learn to build (perhaps buy) a Cylon Centurion costume. After reading threads here, revisiting and refreshing my memory on the original BSG I now think that making an I.L. Series costume would be really cool too, especially if being able to hook up with a group of centurions, silver, gold, etc. at a show.

But, now I've come to find out that on screen the centurions were played by guys 6'4" and up and Lucifer was played by an actor who was 3' 11". I'm 5'10" so it seems that I'm sorta short for a centurion and too tall for an I.L. Anyone have any opinions, suggestions?

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Re: Height issue, perhaps?

Post by Cylon-Knight » Thu May 22, 2014 10:42 pm

Finster - sorry, but you are way too tall for an I.L. Series.
Plus the head is a prop - not a helmet. You'd be GIANT if you had one to scale for your height. A display would be a better route, I think anyways.

BUT, for a Centurion I am 5' 10" tall as well, and I'm one fine looking Centurion (HA!)
http://www.byyourcommand.net/cylongalle ... 329&page=5
I'm the one with the Rifle - and Knight Rider themed chest insignia.

Sure, I am not as tall as the two barefoot 6'+ guys, but at 5' 10" you'll be over 6' like me with the boots and mohawk, etc. all helping out.

I met a KILLER Darth Vader costume guy that was probably my height at a con - but his boots and helmet made him a tad taller. Yeah, he'd be more impressive if taller. But the kick @$$ quality of his costume eclipsed being 2 inches taller.
You want to look the part sure, you'd look fine as a Centurion - trust me.

Now, just decide Command Gold or Standard Chrome... and set a budget (or don't - lol)! ;)
BY YOUR COMMAND
:cylongold: :cylon:
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Thu May 22, 2014 11:13 pm

Lucifer always had a ego. Don't egos stand tall. I say do it.
Image :cylongold: :cylongold: :cylongold:

Finster
Centurion

Post by Finster » Fri May 23, 2014 5:26 pm

@Cylon-Knight: I'm glad there is someone the same height as me so I wouldn't feel foolish dressed as a Centurion. Like: "Hey look at the short one!" ;)
Thanks for the link too, I enjoyed looking at the photos. And yes you do make a fine looking Centurion.

@GoldCylon: Thanks for the encouragment!

I would still like to make an I.L. costume work out so I didn't look crazy tall. I've been trying to think of "clever" ways to pull this off. Not sure if its really clever but one idea is to be seated and have the head on a shoulder rig like in the show and somehow hide my legs under a control panel or something like that. Of course I'd would need a wheelchair arrangement or something similar to get around. Another idea is the costumes where it looks like the character is carrying you in a box, garbage can etc. Like:

The problem I have with these ideas so far is that I never saw an I.L. carry something or operate a control panel (as far as I can remember). That's why I've been watching the original episodes again. The only other option I can think of is try to make the head actually wearable but that seems unlikely. I'm still open to suggestions/ideas/opinions/etc.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sat May 24, 2014 4:35 pm

Hummm... To make a wearable I.L. Series head I would guess the "brain area" would need to be like a clear double walled stocking cap setup. And a single layer, maybe double of THIN rope lights with some mirroring going on to look more hollow. Does that make sense?

As for seeing, I guess you could add slits under the eyes like they do for Iron Man masks. Breathing... Now that would be a stuffy, tricky task. Maybe the mouth could be a mesh... And blinking lights at the edges of the mouth would distract from people seeing in too much??

This will be an interesting build if you start it!
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Finster
Centurion

Post by Finster » Mon May 26, 2014 9:00 am

Yes your idea makes sense, and I didn't consider doing it that way. I was thinking that perhaps my head could be lower. If you look at pictures of Spectre in the Young Lords he has a very high collar. I thought maybe I could take advantage of that. I have to experiment but, instead of the entire head/neck on top of my head, perhaps I could wear part of it if not all. At the moment just thinking out-loud really, but thanks for the input.

Return to “Classic Battlestar Props and Costumes”