Hollywood Treasures - 2012 Thread

This is a help forum to build your classic series props and costumes.
Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Wed May 23, 2012 10:51 am

Well last night was the first episode of the 2012 season of Hollywood Treasures - and they started to show the MASSIVE, IMPRESSIVE, JAW-DROPPING AMAZING! - Dreier Collection.

These two guys have EVERYTHING from ALL SORTS of shows and films. Including perfect Screen used Cylon Centurion and Colonial Warrior costumes. Their collection is top notch, perfectly cared for and excellently displayed. (i.e. not "in storage" or "somewhere in the basement" etc., etc.). They are unmatched elite collectors!

The BSG costumes were not the focus on the show, yet, just mentioned as Joe tried to ponder the entire collection going up for sale -the value. Joe didn't want to put a number on the collection - it just was not possible. However, as he looked around Joe Maddalena (the PiH founder) did mention the Centurion was probably the best of its kind... and quickly estimated its auction value at $100,000.

Everyone be sure to watch, and post up to this thread what you see - or screen caps if you can get them. I'll try to record future shows to DVD and see if I can get some pics.

"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Big Al
Command Centurion

Re: Hollywood Treasures - 2012 Thread

Post by Big Al » Wed May 23, 2012 1:42 pm

I have never heard of this show ......what channel was it on?
By Your Command

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Wed May 23, 2012 2:54 pm

It is on SyFy - Tuesday @ 9 PM (my time zone - CST).
MUST SEE TV!!!!!!!!!

It is not just Galactica, they have EVERYTHING. Superman, Wizard of Oz, Aliens, Lord of the Rings, Batman, etc. etc. TV shows too - props, costumes, photos. Movie stars are on some of the shows too.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Wed May 23, 2012 3:07 pm

I used to watch it, but it seemed like they were getting goofy silly people they were out visiting that seemed like they came in a space ship with their over the top crazy @$$ dreams of pieces, and 100K for a Cylon.....well sign me up to watch that one.....UNREAL.

Big Al
Command Centurion

Post by Big Al » Wed May 23, 2012 3:21 pm

Cylon-Knight wrote:It is on SyFy - Tuesday @ 9 PM (my time zone - CST).
MUST SEE TV!!!!!!!!!

It is not just Galactica, they have EVERYTHING. Superman, Wizard of Oz, Aliens, Lord of the Rings, Batman, etc. etc. TV shows too - props, costumes, photos. Movie stars are on some of the shows too.

Wow Thanks buddy I am so there!

A couple of other shows to mention one that was on TLC "Monster Makers" with Ed Edmonds and crew. although I think they broadcast that one only at holloween..(Haven't seen any new ones yet) and there was another one and I can't remember the name of the show but it was a Family of monster makers making monsters for the movies......IE They were the people who made the two headed shark!......then there was the make up/ Reality compitition FACE OFF......
By Your Command

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Wed May 23, 2012 4:12 pm

YES - FaceOff and Monster Man... both TOTALLY COOL. I watch them too when they are on.

Big Al
Command Centurion

Post by Big Al » Wed May 23, 2012 4:25 pm

Cylon-Knight wrote:YES - FaceOff and Monster Man... both TOTALLY COOL. I watch them too when they are on.
Monster Makers
Face Off
Monster Man!

I agree All very cool!...I like these three because it's all about the process! Sculpting, Mold making, Painting, animating, etc.

But this new show sounds just as cool.....is it all about props and what happenes to them after the shoot?
By Your Command

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Wed May 23, 2012 10:33 pm

Big Al wrote:
Cylon-Knight wrote:YES - FaceOff and Monster Man... both TOTALLY COOL. I watch them too when they are on.
But this new show sounds just as cool.....is it all about props and what happenes to them after the shoot?
It is not new, this is the second season.
It is about props at auction the quest to find them, learn a little about them and see if a few key ones sell.
It is basicaly the TV for/of/about Profiles in History. (http://www.profilesinhistory.com/)

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Post by 137th Gebirg » Thu May 24, 2012 9:41 am

Yep, I HIGHLY recommend this show, for those who haven't seen it. It's been a mainstay on my DVR since it first came out last year. They don't just have Battlestar stuff, too. They found original molds to the Phase II Star Trek Enterprise - the one that the built for the failed TV show before they made a new one for the Motion Picture. That one blew my mind. Old Batman vehicles, stop-motion animatronics (James & the Giant Peach), many of the pieces in damn-near original condition. I drool every time I see one of these episodes. They are NOT to be missed - they show tons of respect for all the items and they do quite a bit of research to verify their origins.
I may appear unoccupied to you, but at the molecular level, I'm really quite busy.

Bishop37
Raider Gunner

Post by Bishop37 » Mon May 28, 2012 5:16 pm

trooper18938
Patrol Leader

Post by trooper18938 » Mon May 28, 2012 5:48 pm

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:10 pm

Tonight's show was great!
One thing I found interesting was when Joe talked about Props vs. Set Decoration. From what I understand it is roughly the below. Anyone else know more on this? Joe mentioned there is a fine line for this in the industry during production and later on for values to collectors.

-Prop
If an actor touches anything *poof* it is a prop, taken, tagged and the Prop Master cares for it. They are more valuable to collectors.

-Set Decoration
Any other objects on the set really that didn't 'achieve' prop status. They are cool, but can not command as much value as props.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:01 pm

That sounds about dead on to me.
Image :cylongold: :cylongold: :cylongold:

Big Al
Command Centurion

Post by Big Al » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:38 am

I think most of that is right on the value and actor touched props but my dad knew the set decorator for the I dream of Jeanie show and his job was to decorate like one would your house or office from drapes to rugs to funishings.....Props were of course were the charge of the prop master such as pots and pans in the kitchen, Telephones on the tables nick knacks etc. and although alot of the items were not actualy touched by the actors they were still props....My Dad's friend's name was Jack Ahern and he gave my dad three scripts from the show and a bunch of sketches of the sets he decorated...unfortunatly they were in a storage some years ago and there was a flood ......one was completly destroyed one has really bad water damage and the other is still in pretty good shape...that one was "The Chille King" Episode. I think we still Have the drawings as well.....I may be wrong on the prop thing but that's just my 2 cents
By Your Command

Skullbeast
Outpost Commander

Post by Skullbeast » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:14 pm

We make props that do not get handled by actors but by ADs us and the director. Exception to the rule.

Return to “Classic Battlestar Props and Costumes”