Original Hero, was The Original Hero

Facts, myths, stories, and photos of the Universal Tour ride that opened in 1979 and closed in 1992.
GoldCylon
Founder

Original Hero, was The Original Hero

Post by GoldCylon » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:25 pm

OK this is long over due, but here in our rank is "The Original Hero" from "The Battle of Galactica" may I say a ByYourCommand to Robin. Robin aka Original Hero memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=172 was maybe the 1st person hired to play Capt Apollo in the Battle of Galactica. I say this because Robin was already employed at Universal Studios playing the part as Frankenstein in the park area. The others were new hires, so at least on a seniority list he was the top dog. I met and spoke with Robin about 8 months ago. He was passing though Sacramento and stopped off and shared some of his stories, and photos with me about his time at the Battle of Galactica. Since Galactica was the biggest thing to hit TV in the SciFi world since the release of Star Wars 1 year earlier Universal was throwing everything they could to catch a few of those dollars everyone was spending. Universal came up with live action battle against the robotic Cylons. The press releases, hype, and photos to prompt the new show were unseen like this level ever before. Since Robin was there from the beginning we was part of the promo photo shots. Robin was a wise man, and that he asked for copies of the photos, and with that we are able to archive, and save these and present to you photos that haven't been seen since 1979. Also a quick note since I met Robin face to face I can say he makes the perfect height Frankenstein, and would have been a great Cylon. He is a tall guy. I stand 6'4, and felt very short standing next to Robin. Robin thanks for sharing these photos.
I posted this before giving notice to Robin this was now posted, so give him sometime to sound off. Thanks again Robin
View more of this photos Robin supplied me in the Battle of Galactica photo gallery.
http://www.byyourcommand.net/cylongalle ... temId=1024

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Re: Original Hero, was The Original Hero

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:02 pm

VERY COOL STUFF!

Say, what is that blaster he has? It's not from the show is it??? BOG only prop?
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:03 pm

Cylon-Knight wrote:VERY COOL STUFF!

Say, what is that blaster he has? It's not from the show is it??? BOG only prop?
The blaster was made by the company AVG that supplied the animatronics to the entire event. They are the guys that made the Cylon tank out at the point of entry also.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:02 pm

Cool stuff. His helmet needed some "TLC" ... missing one "ear tab" and the one that is there is bent bad.

He sure looks like it was fun. That would have been a great job. I wonder if it paid well (for the time period)?

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:12 pm

Cylon-Knight wrote:Cool stuff. His helmet needed some "TLC" ... missing one "ear tab" and the one that is there is bent bad.

He sure looks like it was fun. That would have been a great job. I wonder if it paid well (for the time period)?
I would have done it for free with a card board box for a helmet. I bet it had to be an awesome job to those that were fans of the show, and then worked on the set.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:42 pm

GoldCylon wrote: I would have done it for free with a card board box for a helmet. I bet it had to be an awesome job to those that were fans of the show, and then worked on the set.
Exactly!

Too bad there are few items like BOG these days. Lucky if a show/movie gets a roller coaster named after it for a year or two before they repaint it and give it another

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:23 pm

[quote="Cylon-Knight"]

Too bad there are few items like BOG these days. Lucky if a show/movie gets a roller coaster named after it for a year or two before they repaint it and give it another

goldcylon1
First Centurion

Post by goldcylon1 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:38 pm

I have a version of that gun but the cylons used it. It looks more like a SWs blaster with Stobe effect and all. Dale has a pic in the archieves I have one somewhere laying around from the ride which was a publicity still in black and white with a Cylon holding this gun but the barrel was a different color (im sure they made more than one). Made by the same folks although look at the side magazine. Its all metal very well made

Goldcylon@cox.net

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:58 am

goldcylon1 wrote:I have a version of that gun but the cylons used it. It looks more like a SWs blaster with Stobe effect and all. Dale has a pic in the archieves I have one somewhere laying around from the ride which was a publicity still in black and white with a Cylon holding this gun but the barrel was a different color (im sure they made more than one). Made by the same folks although look at the side magazine. Its all metal very well made

Nice, thanks for the pic! Do you might have some more BoG-related props?

By the way, I guess this is the photo you were referring to:

http://www.byyourcommand.net/cylongalle ... temId=1223

I think it's very odd they've used Stromtrooper-like blasters for the publicity photos... how about using any original weapons like Cylon rifles or pistols?
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

goldcylon1
First Centurion

Post by goldcylon1 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:02 am

Red Eye wrote:
goldcylon1 wrote:I have a version of that gun but the cylons used it. It looks more like a SWs blaster with Stobe effect and all. Dale has a pic in the archieves I have one somewhere laying around from the ride which was a publicity still in black and white with a Cylon holding this gun but the barrel was a different color (im sure they made more than one). Made by the same folks although look at the side magazine. Its all metal very well made

Nice, thanks for the pic! Do you might have some more BoG-related props?

By the way, I guess this is the photo you were referring to:

http://www.byyourcommand.net/cylongalle ... temId=1223

I think it's very odd they've used Stromtrooper-like blasters for the publicity photos... how about using any original weapons like Cylon rifles or pistols?

Yep thats the Pic I have it around the house somewhere are well and could not find it. No thats is it for me and BOG props, These are made 100% out of metal my assumption is the original riffle which was just electrial taped together probably would not hold up to the daily attraction with fair wear and tear. Remember that whole ride did not last long tram wise so a lot of folks probably never even noticed.
:cylongold:
Goldcylon@cox.net

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:28 pm

Here is the gun that was used.
Attachments
003.JPG

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:30 pm

One more.
Attachments
005.JPG

goldcylon1
First Centurion

Post by goldcylon1 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:01 pm

GoldCylon wrote:One more.

Looks like mine with the greeblies removed from the barrel. I can see Dale where yours came off the barrel.
Goldcylon@cox.net

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:32 pm

I can see a few items that are the same, but over all they aren't they same gun at all. Looks like the designer had a Star Wars fix they were trying to but into the BOG show.

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:01 pm

Dale, is the gun part of your own collection?
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

Return to “Battle of Galactica”