Old school Cylon build

Facts, myths, stories, and photos of the Universal Tour ride that opened in 1979 and closed in 1992.
User avatar
GoldCylon
Founder
Posts: 6803
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:02 pm
Location: Sacramento
Contact:

Old school Cylon build

Post by GoldCylon » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:18 pm

Here are a few photos of the Cylon Empire coming together back in 78.
Attachments
Cylon new chrome.jpg
Cylon Garrison gathering.jpg
Imperious Leader Cylon.jpg
Imperious leader chair.jpg



User avatar
Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin
Posts: 4788
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 10:11 am
Location: Germany

Re: Old school Cylon build

Post by Red Eye » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:46 pm

It's nice to see how the Imperious Leader is taking shape, even if I prefer the original screen-used version.

Thank you again for sharing! :wink:
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

Image

User avatar
GoldCylon
Founder
Posts: 6803
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:02 pm
Location: Sacramento
Contact:

Re: Old school Cylon build

Post by GoldCylon » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:53 pm

Red Eye wrote:It's nice to see how the Imperious Leader is taking shape, even if I prefer the original screen-used version.

Thank you again for sharing! :wink:
Well since your the resident Imperious Leader expert, is there a known difference between the two, besides the face, and what are the difference noted in the face. Maybe a good side by side analogy thread would be a good idea.

User avatar
Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator
Posts: 5859
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:32 pm
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: Old school Cylon build

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:34 pm

Good Idea GoldCylon - YES! Go for it Red Eye, you are the world's expert on the IL (and if anyone say you are not... *ZAP*)!

Biggest item I see is that the Battle Of Galactica (BOG) Imperious Leader (IL) is a prop, not a costume. The BOG-IL was never worn by a person. Battlestar Galactia's (BSG) Imperious Leader was worn by an actor.... what else Red Eye?
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."
Image

User avatar
Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin
Posts: 4788
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 10:11 am
Location: Germany

Re: Old school Cylon build

Post by Red Eye » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:45 pm

GoldCylon wrote:
Red Eye wrote:It's nice to see how the Imperious Leader is taking shape, even if I prefer the original screen-used version.

Thank you again for sharing! :wink:
Well since your the resident Imperious Leader expert, is there a known difference between the two, besides the face, and what are the difference noted in the face. Maybe a good side by side analogy thread would be a good idea.
:byyourcommand:

Ask and you shall receive:

Image
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

Image

User avatar
Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator
Posts: 5859
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:32 pm
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: Old school Cylon build

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:49 pm

Cool, start up a new thread for the Imperious Leader BSG vs BOG! And we lowly Centurions can learn more about that "lovable lizard!" :)
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."
Image

User avatar
GoldCylon
Founder
Posts: 6803
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:02 pm
Location: Sacramento
Contact:

Re: Old school Cylon build

Post by GoldCylon » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:51 pm

Well to tell the true I like the BOG version a bit more, and the reason is that it has more a realistic look to it, over the TOS guy. The one main thing I guess I don't like are the eyes so far apart.

User avatar
Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator
Posts: 5859
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:32 pm
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: Old school Cylon build

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:54 pm

But that made him "out of this world" cool! I favor BSG's IL more... the look and the voice!
And some real lizards have freaky eyes... that don't even have to move in the same direction all the time!!! eeeeeeeeeeeeeewwww haha
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."
Image

User avatar
Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin
Posts: 4788
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 10:11 am
Location: Germany

Re: Old school Cylon build

Post by Red Eye » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:58 pm

Cylon-Knight wrote:Good Idea GoldCylon - YES! Go for it Red Eye, you are the world's expert on the IL (and if anyone say you are not... *ZAP*)!

Biggest item I see is that the Battle Of Galactica (BOG) Imperious Leader (IL) is a prop, not a costume. The BOG-IL was never worn by a person. Battlestar Galactia's (BSG) Imperious Leader was worn by an actor.... what else Red Eye?
The "BoG"-Leader is also lacking a headpiece. But he can be seen wearing it on some of the promotional photos, together with the original costume:

Image

I'd still like to know why they've photographed him that way (with the original costume and headpiece on). Maybe the other robe wasn't finished at this time? Any ideas?

Also note how rough the holes for the hands were cutted into the robe. It really hurts me to see how they've dealt with the original costume... :sad:
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

Image

User avatar
Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator
Posts: 5859
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:32 pm
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: Old school Cylon build

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:10 pm

Yeah, it looks like a quick cut up job. Odd that they did that... Seems they mixed the two costumes for a bit.
Wasn't the original BSG IL costume sold in a Hollywood auction? Wouldn't it have the holes? Or were there multiple robes?

Also, after looking over the BOG IL's face a bit more, it seems its structure is more like a Centurion's "face." The strong eye brow lines are similar in both. And the Centurion's "mouth grill" shape is apparently echoed in the BOG IL's mouth area... perhaps that was part of the reason behind the new head??? (At at least some of the thought behind its looks when someone decided "make a new face.")
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."
Image

User avatar
Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator
Posts: 5859
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:32 pm
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: Old school Cylon build

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:13 pm

OR MABYE
Glen Larson didn't allow the BSG IL's head to be used on the BOG?
OR MABYE
The BSG IL head didn't work with the mechanical items they wanted to put into it... as it was designed for a person to wear?

"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."
Image

User avatar
Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin
Posts: 4788
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 10:11 am
Location: Germany

Re: Old school Cylon build

Post by Red Eye » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:19 pm

Another aspect I don't like on the BoG-version is the lack of any detail and it looks way to cartoony...

If the Leader would have appeared in the series in his BoG-incarnation I'd even comprehend Glen Larson's antipathy of his appearance. But complaining about something so masterfully created with such attention to detail is beyond my imagination.

It must be like a punch in the face for the artist who did the mask for the Leader back then... whoever it truely was... :huh:
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

Image

User avatar
Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin
Posts: 4788
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 10:11 am
Location: Germany

Re: Old school Cylon build

Post by Red Eye » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:42 pm

Cylon-Knight wrote:Yeah, it looks like a quick cut up job. Odd that they did that... Seems they mixed the two costumes for a bit.
Wasn't the original BSG IL costume sold in a Hollywood auction? Wouldn't it have the holes? Or were there multiple robes?

Also, after looking over the BOG IL's face a bit more, it seems its structure is more like a Centurion's "face." The strong eye brow lines are similar in both. And the Centurion's "mouth grill" shape is apparently echoed in the BOG IL's mouth area... perhaps that was part of the reason behind the new head??? (At at least some of the thought behind its looks when someone decided "make a new face.")
Yes, the original costume were first offered in auction #16, were it didn't get sold, and for a second time in auction #20, were it was finally sold for $6.000.

Sadly, the angle they've photographed the robe isn't correct to get a spot at the "sleeves". But on one of the photos which shows the costume on display during a convention, it has two large holes where the hands were inserted.

Never noted the similarities between the BoG-Leaders' head and the Centurion-helmet... well spotted! Maybe it was really used as some kind of basic mold, who knows...
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

Image

User avatar
Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator
Posts: 5859
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:32 pm
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: Old school Cylon build

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:46 pm

Cool info!

P.S. Red Eye, I just sent you an email... check it out.
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."
Image

User avatar
Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin
Posts: 4788
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 10:11 am
Location: Germany

Re: Old school Cylon build

Post by Red Eye » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:15 pm

[quote="Cylon-Knight"]OR MABYE
Glen Larson didn't allow the BSG IL's head to be used on the BOG?
OR MABYE
The BSG IL head didn't work with the mechanical items they wanted to put into it... as it was designed for a person to wear?

"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

Image

Post Reply

Return to “Battle of Galactica”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest