Written & Director announcend

Is Battlestar Galactica coming back to the big screen? Universal has announced it intends to bring new life to BSG based on the classic series story line. Check here for news and info on the project.
GoldCylon
Founder

Written & Director announcend

Post by GoldCylon » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:14 pm

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Re: Written & Director announcend

Post by Cylon-Knight » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:02 pm

:loveit: :erk: :evillaugh:
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:41 am

Very interesting indeed!

Hope they do it right this time...
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:59 am

I think it will be a challenge. The screen play writer is somewhat new to Hollywood (3-5 years), and I haven't seen any of her work. She seems a bit young also, so I am not sure how well she will understand something come and gone decades before she was even born. :erk:

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Post by 137th Gebirg » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:04 pm

So...dead again? Larson's feature film property ownership was settled last year with his estate, so there theoretically shouldn't be any legal obstacles for Universal any more. Has Lucy pulled the football away and sent us astrum-over-teacup again?
I may appear unoccupied to you, but at the molecular level, I'm really quite busy.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:51 pm

DeLuca was just starting %0 Shades Darker when the announcement was made that he was going to take the lead on Galactica. As soon as that wrapped he was hired to produce the Oscars coming up this weekend. I hope now was this has finished he is able to address the Galactica movie. I am pretty sure that if we don't hear anything in the next 3-6 months I would call story closed, but also we have no idea if he has a small office set up at Uni with a small crew working away. I did call Uni about 6 months ago, and asked to be transferred to his office. The operator was baffled. He received calls now, and then and she took a transfer call for him just the day before and now the number was gone. So not sure what to make of that.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:02 pm

I just found out that Michael De Luca has moved back to Uni. Time to make that phone call again.

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Post by 137th Gebirg » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:08 pm

Looking forward to hearing what you find out. Hopefully there's still life in the old property yet, and that Universal didn't just settle with the estate to simply bury it from view.
I may appear unoccupied to you, but at the molecular level, I'm really quite busy.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:46 pm

I have a friend working the Oscars tonight, and he is a BSG fan and if by chance he meets up with Michael De Luca I asked him to check the status.

Also just a gut feeling the Mr De Luca has been working the event leading up tonight all week non stop. I am assuming tomorrow if not late tonight he is blasting out of town back home for the week. It won't stop me from calling his office tomorrow anyway.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:16 pm

Good news for Michael, bad news for the Galactica movie.
http://www.tracking-board.com/oscars-pr ... exclusive/

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Post by 137th Gebirg » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:15 pm

Sigh. I was afraid something bad might happen. Didn't know that it would be specifically this particular turn of events, but it definitely appears that any kind of new BSG film project has officially entered "cursed" mode. I think this is the fourth or fifth failure to launch in the past 2 decades now. Congrats rightfully go to Michael for the progress in his career, but this still makes me sad. :sad:

vocoderlover
Spare Parts

Post by vocoderlover » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:21 pm

I'm honestly surprised a feature film modern BSG hasn't been even attempted. Studios are desperate to cash in on sure-fire things like nostalgia and reboots. The star wars movies were literally a license to print money, on down to what to me is utter junk like "Scooby Doo" and "The Flinstones". How many HULK films are there now? Aliens.. Predators (the 2018 one SUCKED) aliens vs predators.. Doom... on and on and on. I can just picture
a high budget BSG with Cylons that are even more terrifying than the originals, but not bumbling and semi-incompetent. Hopefully with voices designed by ME!

Croft2014
Raider Pilot

Post by Croft2014 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:38 pm

As fans do we really want or need yet another reboot?

The orignal is a belived nostalgia fest and the remake was so good I can't see anyone actually improving on it.

A sequel would be possible but we've lost Collicos, Greene, Hatch etc.

bishopdonmiguel
Phalanx Leader

Post by bishopdonmiguel » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:13 pm

Reboot? Please no. Reboots are lazy and nauseating.

You either invest the effort to make an entirely new thing or you get creative and continue the old thing with respect, in the past/future or following different characters if necessary. You don’t simply remake it using modern effects and social tone and forget all that came before.

That’s the problem I have with NuBSG. There was potential for continuing the original storyline using the characters as background and history. Instead the producers/writers just started over. Lazy & boring.

HBO’s Westworld continued the 1973 story just 40+ years later. The first season was fantastic, full of underlying commentary on what it means to be “human.” That’s how you respect intellectual property while simultaneously exploiting it. (I will conveniently ignore the terrible second season full of pointless action and violence).

So if there is a BSG reboot, meh. If we get something that continues with the original story of survival and hope in the face of devastation, awesome! Definitely not interested in a continuation of the “dark & gritty, this has all happened before so let’s just give up” storyline.

vocoderlover
Spare Parts

Post by vocoderlover » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:26 pm

I'm just saying I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet with the Hollywood draw towards the more financially "surefire" thing. Look at Stan Lee who just passed away, his characters have almost been single handedly keeping Hollywood in business. Spiderman, Superman etc have been loved by multiple generations, and BSG is 40 years old putting it halfway into that category. I'm sure there's politics involved but who knows. Somethings are just "final" and we enjoy them like a museum that will have no more new entries.

Return to “Universal's Battlestar Galactica reboot 2016”