Dress Insignia Devices of BSG-2003/04

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Dress Insignia Devices of BSG-2003/04

Post by 137th Gebirg » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:46 pm

Not long after version 1 of the Ranks Chart was completed, I set off to build a second chart laying out the dress uniform (or "dress grays") decorations as worn on the sashes by the cast on special occasions. As version 1 of this chart is sadly inaccurate, and nobody really knew the significance of the devices on the sashes, I never widely publicized it. Since that time, there have been additions to the available decorations on these sashes, plus the curious inclusion of these decorations worn by Admiral Corman in Season 3's episode "Hero" on his standard duty uniform (‘or "duty blues"). One of the interesting little "in jokes" you will find on these sashes is a modified variant of the TOS-style Galactica pin which is an upside-down United States Army Intelligence pin, with an added 4-pointed star on top. I've been told that these pins may have been originally made for the aborted "continuation" Battlestar Galactica series by Bryan Singer and Tom DeSanto back in 2000/2001, and somehow found their way into Ron D. Moore's new production:

TOS Versions:
TOS_Silver.jpg
TOS_Silver.jpg (2.79 KiB) Viewed 1414 times
TOS_Silver.jpg
TOS_Silver.jpg (2.79 KiB) Viewed 1414 times
TOS_Gold.jpg
TOS_Gold.jpg (2.8 KiB) Viewed 1414 times
TOS_Gold.jpg
TOS_Gold.jpg (2.8 KiB) Viewed 1414 times
NuBSG Versions:
Nu_Silver.jpg
Nu_Silver.jpg (2.24 KiB) Viewed 1414 times
Nu_Silver.jpg
Nu_Silver.jpg (2.24 KiB) Viewed 1414 times
Nu_Gold.jpg
Nu_Gold.jpg (2.81 KiB) Viewed 1414 times
Nu_Gold.jpg
Nu_Gold.jpg (2.81 KiB) Viewed 1414 times
As mentioned, there is no real background behind the significance of all these decorations. We don't even really know the meaning of the "wings", but can postulate, based on what we've seen.
dressinsignia.png
Fun fact: There is a little-known variant on the Senior Pilot’s badge, that had modified striping on the wings and a Master Chief Petty Officer’s device glued to the front. It was used by the Captain of Colonial One in the pilot mini-series. Don't know if we ever saw it again, and I never made an illustration of this, but I downloaded this image off the PropWorx auction catalog (with credit given where due) for posterity:
colonialonecaptainpin.jpg

I may appear unoccupied to you, but at the molecular level, I'm really quite busy.

Return to “Insignia”