Origins of the Cubit Symbols

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Origins of the Cubit Symbols

Post by 137th Gebirg » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:30 am

This was one of my newer discoveries from 2009:

I was perusing my local bookstore, and I found this magazine called A Companion Guide to Dan Brown's then-latest book, "The Lost Symbol". Well, between that and the big Square and Compasses on the cover, I had to get it. Some of you who know me know that I'm a bit of an armchair symbologist myself from prior postings (certainly not in the league of the fictional Robert Langdon, but I can hold my own), and I wanted to get this in particular. While browsing through its pages, I noticed that it covers not only the Masons, but a bunch of other rather esoteric subject matter, conspiracies and secret societies - all in all, a well-rounded read and I highly recommend it to anyone interested in the subject. Here's the cover (not very subtle, of course):
solomonskey.JPG
As I was flipping the pages, I got to some curious dude called "Philippus Aureolus Theophrastus Bombastus von Hohenheim" on page 76. No kidding, this is the guy's name - probably the inspiration for Monty Python's Johan Gambleputty...of Ulm schtick. Anyways, I guess even he thought his name was too long and changed it to simply "Paracelsus". Pic here:
paracelsus.JPG
A skilled physician, he delved into the studies of Brahman spiritual healing and other esoteric arts, and also possibly went under the pseudonym "Christian Rosenkreutz", the very founder of the Rosicrucian Order itself. He has another significant contribution to the world of esoteria. He invented the "Alphabet of the Magi", which he used to inscribe the names of the angels on healing talismans. This is not the more well-known "Angelic Script" (A.K.A. the "Celestial Alphabet"), but something else. The thing that gave me pause and damn near knocked me out of my chair were two characters in particular of this alphabet. Characters which I have outlined in red in the following scan from the magazine:
alphabet.jpg
Look familiar? YEP! Colonial Cubits!
cubits.jpg
cubits.jpg (108.16 KiB) Viewed 1792 times
cubits.jpg
cubits.jpg (108.16 KiB) Viewed 1792 times
(Final pic scaled down from ByYourCommand.net)

We have been led to believe for the longest time that these cubit designs were made up by the props folks because the symbols look like "G" and "L" for Glen Larson, the show's creator. Some have also claimed the existence of a small and super-rare set of "A" cubits for Mr. Larson's middle name, Albert, but none has ever been found that I'm aware of, nor is there anything in this alphabet that comes close to resembling an "A", which makes me doubt the claim's provenance. These symbols may look like G and L, but most certainly are more than just random lines and squiggles thrown together. Somebody did their homework, just as they did for the Blue Squadron patch, which is a representation of an ancient Indian Sri Yantra Mandala:
bluesquadronav9.jpg
bluesquadronav9.jpg (9.14 KiB) Viewed 1794 times
bluesquadronav9.jpg
bluesquadronav9.jpg (9.14 KiB) Viewed 1794 times
sriheader.jpg
sriheader.jpg (53.02 KiB) Viewed 1794 times
sriheader.jpg
sriheader.jpg (53.02 KiB) Viewed 1794 times
Last edited by 137th Gebirg on Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.

I may appear unoccupied to you, but at the molecular level, I'm really quite busy.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Re: Origins of the Cubit Symbols

Post by Cylon-Knight » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:58 pm

OH MY WOW!
:shock:
Awesome stuff!!!!!!!!
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

bishopdonmiguel
Phalanx Leader

Post by bishopdonmiguel » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:24 pm

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:19 am

What has me is the what I always thought of the "L" cubit is "G", and vice versa.

Return to “Insignia”