The Flags and Symbols of the 12 Colonies of Kobol and Cyrannus

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

The Flags and Symbols of the 12 Colonies of Kobol and Cyrannus

Post by 137th Gebirg » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:18 pm

This is an incomplete set of 4 of the 12 flags that were used in the original series. They can be mostly seen in the pilot episode "Saga of a Star World" draped around the area where Serena was doing her broadcast of the armistice. One day I hope to get all 12.
TOS_Colonial_Banners.jpg
Last edited by 137th Gebirg on Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I may appear unoccupied to you, but at the molecular level, I'm really quite busy.

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin
It’s my birthday

Re: The Flags and Symbols of the 12 Colonies of Kobol and Cyrannus

Post by Red Eye » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:36 am

Ironically, they reused some of the flags the foyer of the Western Coalition Headquarters in "Experiment in Terra".

I'll take some screencaps of it if you wish.
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Post by 137th Gebirg » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:56 pm

Absolutely! I would love to flesh out some of the other designs, especially since there's very little information on them. They're also quite simple in comparison to NuBSG art design and should be relatively easy to build.
I may appear unoccupied to you, but at the molecular level, I'm really quite busy.

Red Eye
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:27 am

So here are the screencaps of thee banners as promised, sorry for the delay!

First, let's begin with the one from "Experiment in Terra":

There are also some nice clean views of the banners (some are previously unseen, at least to me) in the Triad arena in "War of the Gods, Part 1" & "Murder on the Rising Star":

Hope it helps!
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Post by 137th Gebirg » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:01 pm

Oooh, nice! I can definitely do something with those. Looks like four more I can add to the collection. A shame the bottom edge bits aren't clearly visible. I'll have to eyeball those. Thanks very much!

I wonder if they ever showed up any time in Buck Rogers. BSG stuff was reused for that show all the time.

Red Eye
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:16 pm

Glad you 'em! :wink:

I think they reused some of the banners in the season 2 pilot "Time of the Hawk", but I'm not sure.

Red Eye
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:44 pm

Here's one more, from the infamous deleted Colonial anthem scene from "Saga of a Star World":

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Post by 137th Gebirg » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:26 pm

Actually, I found this looking around on "Teh Interwebz". Looks like someone already got them all and they look correct! Have no idea who did this, though, so I can't cite credit at this time.
12 Colony Flags.jpg

Red Eye
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:05 am

Wow, very cool!

So we've solved the mystery of the missing banners, thanks to you! :salute:

It will be a very nice addition to the "Colonial Banners" section in our Gallery...

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:18 am

Hummm..... but which banner is for which Colony?
:huh:
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Red Eye
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:11 pm

That's a very good question...

Perhaps they weren't meant to be assigned to a special colony. They just made the 12 flags and never cared about anything else. Just my 2 cents.

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Post by 137th Gebirg » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:33 pm

I would incline to agree. Productions back then didn't seem to have as much attention to detail as later ones did. TOS Star Trek certainly didn't take such things into consideration. Nor did they until TNG, when you had guys like Mike Okuda in there knowing that there was a large niche subset of the fandom that really delved deeply into technical details. These things were fire-and-forget set dressings that added atmosphere and color and maybe even set out to be intentionally alien, giving the audience a certain degree of the unknown in this distant culture.

Red Eye
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:23 am

Just did a little research on who made the 12 banners and here's what I've found:

Flags of the 12 Colonies of Man
by ZFShadowSOLDIER

As seen in brief glimpses throughout the Original Series of Battlestar Galactica, these 12 Banners have been carefully recreated through careful study of the episodes they are most prominently featured in (In a deleted scene of Saga of a Star World; War of the Gods part 1 and 2; Murder on the Rising Star; and Experiment on Terra).

However, one must note that the two bottom center tan banners are treated in series as both Banners of one of the 12 Colonies and as Banners representing the 12 Colonies as a whole and it's Military (Evidence of this being the prominence of the triforce like emblem being featured on the Pyramid Cards and the Spar and Circle featured on many Colonial Equipment). Also, if one watches Experiment on Terra, these banners are reused for no explicable reason other than perhaps cost saving reasons to represent the Nationalist Faction on Terra.

This means the studio didn't create two extra banners to represent 2 of the Colonies and thus this set can technically be considered incomplete because of it. However, because of the fact the show doesn't present any extra banners other than for the Cylons and ships flags for the Galactica and Pegasus, this list is as complete and accurate to the show as possible.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:45 am

Great work on the research on tracking the flag down. To me seeing the flags in the background has always been like a subliminal message. I saw them, but never took notice.

Cae Lumis
Spare Parts

Post by Cae Lumis » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:01 pm

Sorry if this would count as Necroposting, however, just wanted to say hi to everyone. I'm ZFShadowSOLDIER, the one who made that chart for the different banners of the 12 Colonies of TOS Galactica. Just want to add a little additional detail regarding the creation of that specific chart. Well, back when I first made it, I only had the DVD release of Galactica as my reference point, with no real way to enhance the image or clear them up on the screen... so I do warn there may be a degree of inaccuracy compared to the original banners due to the lack of resources at the time. However, that being said, I now possess the complete series on Bluray, and I may in the near future recreate the chart with updated accuracy and quality.... on account that the original chart was made using Microsoft Excel at the time (I have long since switched to Adobe Illustrator as my tool of choice).

edit: Sagan's Sake, it's been ages since I actually used my Deviant Art name :frack: that's... yeah no excuse for being that forgetful lol.
Last edited by Cae Lumis on Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Insignia”